President Lincoln In DRAG??

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bonnie, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    It's true!

http://www.historybuff.com/library/refdress.html

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Merlin

Merlin Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61

I don't know what to think of this article about Lincoln wearing a dress, but I don't believe it. Lincoln never campaigned on an anti slavery platform either. He was asked about his thoughts on slavery before he announced his candidacy and he said he had no thoughts one way or another. After he was elected, he promised the slave states that he wouldn't try to end slavery if they wouldn't secede. It was two years into the war before the word slaves were brought up again. He has also been given credit by some for ending slavery, but he didn't end slavery any more than the kkk did.

President Lincoln Wore a Dress!
    While every presidential election elicits strong antagonistic emotions directed towards the opposite candidate, the campaign for 1860 was likely history’s most embittered. Lincoln campaigned on an anti-slavery platform.

3. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I don't think this was meant to be disrespectful but just more of a lighthearted piece about what Lincoln did in a strange circumstance.

4. bintmundo

bintmundo Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    define 'strange circumstance'. Apparently Lincoln slept with men. Especially when his wife was out of town. I mean, one wonders why he was assassinated by a white guy!

5. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669

Well anyone who studied Lincoln and the Civil War will tell you that there is a great debate regarding whether Lincoln as a true abolitionist or a great pragmatist/politician. I happen to beleive he fell somewhere in the middle of those two things. Yes he did have a concern for human rights for all people as he was guided by a higher authority which he stated many times in his political life, but he was also a good politician in that he knew what the compromises needed to appeal to both sides of the slavery issue, which of course when the peddle came to the metal he did the right thing. What this does to answer your question, probably not much, but the article was just fodder and supposition for history buffs.

6. bintmundo

bintmundo Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    "happen to believe" and "studied" don't go hand in hand when it comes to history I'm afraid. Ever read Carr's "What is History"? History is about as reliable as FOX tv.

7. bintmundo

bintmundo Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    <<What this does to answer your question, probably not much>> Please show me where I asked a question

8. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Not all history is subjective, Reagan once said facts can be very stubborn......paraphrasing here.