President Executive Order College Free Speech

Good grief....the Trump rally is that way --->

Anyhoo, while this is a stupid EO that will go nowhere, this is still a discussion worth having. I personally find it disgraceful that some controversial people are uninvited from campuses or not invited at all . I think liberals, especially the ones on campus, are failing badly at this. And make no mistake, it's not just conservatives that these sensitive little reactionary sissies are running out of town. Consider Richard Dawkins, or Bill Maher, or Salman Rushdie, or Sam Harris.

They shouldn't be going to universities to shield themselves from ideas that make them uncomfortable. Doing the opposite of this is precisely how we learn something new! As Dawkins has said, "What in bloody hell do they think universities are for?!"
Couldn't agree more with your statements. I have many liberal friends from work, and I can say that there's no danger in listening to people with different views and beliefs. You don't have to agree with ANYTHING that they say, but listening to someone's views isn't fucking dangerous. It's actually beneficial because you'll eventually become more tolerant to the views of others. My best friend is a liberal and she's often trying to persuade me to be a liberal. While it doesn't work (and never will), it's made me become more tolerant to liberals and know why they think the way they do. However, that doesn't change the fact that I love to argue with them. ;)

Our country is at each others' throats because we spend more time arguing with each other than listening to different view points. Doesn't matter in the streets, but in places of learning -- like universities -- It's a problem to not listen to others and expand your understanding of the world around you and the people in it.

I get it now. You're supposed to invite people you are opposed to. Is that why you always go out of your way to make sure you have at least a couple MS13 members and a a representative from Louis Farrakhan at each of your dinner parties? Is that why Trump always invites somebody from Antifa to speak at his rallies?

Anyhoo, while this is a stupid EO that will go nowhere, this is still a discussion worth having. I personally find it disgraceful that some controversial people are uninvited from campuses or not invited at all . I think liberals, especially the ones on campus, are failing badly at this. And make no mistake, it's not just conservatives that these sensitive little reactionary sissies are running out of town. Consider Richard Dawkins, or Bill Maher, or Salman Rushdie, or Sam Harris.

They shouldn't be going to universities to shield themselves from ideas that make them uncomfortable. Doing the opposite of this is precisely how we learn something new! As Dawkins has said, "What in bloody hell do they think universities are for?!"
Couldn't agree more with your statements. I have many liberal friends from work, and I can say that there's no danger in listening to people with different views and beliefs. You don't have to agree with ANYTHING that they say, but listening to someone's views isn't fucking dangerous. It's actually beneficial because you'll eventually become more tolerant to the views of others. My best friend is a liberal and she's often trying to persuade me to be a liberal. While it doesn't work (and never will), it's made me become more tolerant to liberals and know why they think the way they do. However, that doesn't change the fact that I love to argue with them. ;)

Our country is at each others' throats because we spend more time arguing with each other than listening to different view points. Doesn't matter in the streets, but in places of learning -- like universities -- It's a problem to not listen to others and expand your understanding of the world around you and the people in it.

I get it now. You're supposed to invite people you are opposed to. Is that why you always go out of your way to make sure you have at least a couple MS13 members and a a representative from Louis Farrakhan at each of your dinner parties? Is that why Trump always invites somebody from Antifa to speak at his rallies?
HOLY SHIT! You are fucking ignorant as hell! MS13 are gang members that intend to do harm! Antifa are modern day brown shirts that, if you lean right, they brand you a "fascist" and attack you. Physical violence is COMPLETELY different than education and discussions.

These people denied to speak on college campuses are people looking for educational discussions. That's why there's always a q/a at the end of their talks. They state their cases, and if someone gets lost or wants more clarity on a certain point, they ask. This free speech on college campus is about educating, keeping an open mind, and broadening horizons. You are not LEARNING if you are not LISTENING to others; you're just stagnating. That is something that should NOT happen in places of learning!

HOLY SHIT! You are fucking ignorant as hell! MS13 are gang members that intend to do harm! Antifa are modern day brown shirts that, if you lean right, they brand you a "fascist" and attack you. Physical violence is COMPLETELY different than education and discussions.

These people denied to speak on college campuses are people looking for educational discussions. That's why there's always a q/a at the end of their talks. They state their cases, and if someone gets lost or wants more clarity on a certain point, they ask. This free speech on college campus is about educating, keeping an open mind, and broadening horizons. You are not LEARNING if you are not LISTENING to others; you're just stagnating. That is something that should NOT happen in places of learning!

The discussion is about INVITING someone who otherwise wouldn't be there. My ex-mother in law probably wouldn't cause any violence, but I wouldn't invite her to a cook out. At what point should you be forced to invite someone you don't care to be around? Should the government have a say in all invitations? Should a anti-abortion group be forced to invite a pro-choice advocate to speak at all their events?

The discussion is about INVITING someone who otherwise wouldn't be there. My ex-mother in law probably wouldn't cause any violence, but I wouldn't invite her to a cook out. At what point should you be forced to invite someone you don't care to be around? Should the government have a say in all invitations? Should a anti-abortion group be forced to invite a pro-choice advocate to speak at all their events?
Ah! I'm sorry about that. Thank you for the clarification. My mind was on the significant amount of college protests where students and staff protest and force people like Candice Owens and Ben Shapiro off college campus, despite their invitation.

You are correct, and I agree. It is wrong to force someone to invite others to their platform.

Ah! I'm sorry about that. Thank you for the clarification. My mind was on the significant amount of college protests where students and staff protest and force people like Candice Owens and Ben Shapiro off college campus, despite their invitation.

You are correct, and I agree. It is wrong to force someone to invite others to their platform.

Got it. You see that it's wrong to force invitations for someone not liked, but now you want to ban protests on campuses. Just to be clear, do you want to ban all protest, or just protest against things you advocate?

Got it. You see that it's wrong to force invitations for someone not liked, but now you want to ban protests on campuses. Just to be clear, do you want to ban all protest, or just protest against things you advocate?
I didn't say ban anything. I said allow people to speak and promote listening to people that have different view points for the sake of education, if they're invited. My post was about becoming educated by listening to people you disagree with (or, at the very least allowing them to speak). So, naturally, I'm in support of allowing people to speak that I don't agree with. And let the entitled fucks protest, just disperse the protest when the fuckers start pepper spraying people for showing up.

This EO is about Free Speech and I'll die to protect my free speech, and yours.

I didn't say ban anything. I said allow people to speak and promote listening to people that have different view points for the sake of education, if they're invited. My post was about becoming educated by listening to people you disagree with (or, at the very least allowing them to speak). So, naturally, I'm in support of allowing people to speak that I don't agree with. And let the entitled fucks protest, just disperse the protest when the fuckers start pepper spraying people for showing up.

Right, and not allow them to say they don't want to promote or listen to that particular point of view. That is the definition of banning free speech. Pepper spraying others is already illegal. Try again. What exactly are you opposed to?

Right, and not allow them to say they don't want to promote or listen to that particular point of view. That is the definition of banning free speech. Pepper spraying others is already illegal. Try again. What exactly are you opposed to?
???????????

Dude, Hayden Williams was not asked to leave by the school, he was asked to leave by a radical-leftist, and when he didn't leave, the guy punched him in the face. That's what sparked this EO. It's about protecting conservatives that are legally on the campus and speaking about conservative values. And yes, assault is illegal, and yes, it happens during protests attempting to shut down invited speakers on college campuses (probably an Antifa member in the crowd): Woman pepper-sprayed at Milo Yiannopoulos rally sues UC Berkeley, city for $23M

???????????

Dude, Hayden Williams was not asked to leave by the school, he was asked to leave by a radical-leftist, and when he didn't leave, the guy punched him in the face. That's what sparked this EO. It's about protecting conservatives that are legally on the campus and speaking about conservative values. And yes, assault is illegal, and yes, it happens during protests attempting to shut down invited speakers on college campuses (probably an Antifa member in the crowd): Woman pepper-sprayed at Milo Yiannopoulos rally sues UC Berkeley, city for $23M

Yes. Assault is illegal. That has nothing to do with legal protest against hateful speakers. If someone breaks the law while protesting, there are already laws to deal with that.

If Universities accept public money they can't religiously discriminate.

If Universities accept public money they can't religiously discriminate.

I'm not sure what religion has to do with it. The closest university to me has never invited me to speak about my religion. Have I been the victim of discrimination?

Forum List

Back