President & Congress Gives $7 Billion To Pakistan: Yea or Nay?

Hard call, TBH. We are between a rock and a hard place with Pakistan. We need their help (staging, some token and not so token captures, etc.), but they have diverted some funds to programs in conflict with our interests.

We cut them off, it gets worse for us.

We pay them, and some of that money goes against our interests.

And, they are nuclear.

That's my view as well.

We really have advanced their Military capabilities quite a bit in recent years. I'm just wondering when that will come back to bite us? I believe they will end up using their newly improved Military capabilities against India at some point. Then what will we do? Where will we stand on that one? What do we tell India? They will be using our weapons to kill their people. The Pakistani and Afghan Governments are going to eventually pay off the Taliban in my opinion. They will be given some power in exchange for some kind of "Peace." The Taliban will likely come out of this more powerful than they were before 911. All those $Billions and lives lost. For what? How sad.

We really have advanced their Military capabilities quite a bit in recent years. I'm just wondering when that will come back to bite us? I believe they will end up using their newly improved Military capabilities against India at some point. Then what will we do? Where will we stand on that one? What do we tell India? They will be using our weapons to kill their people. The Pakistani and Afghan Governments are going to eventually pay off the Taliban in my opinion. They will be given some power in exchange for some kind of "Peace." The Taliban will likely come out of this more powerful than they were before 911. All those $Billions and lives lost. For what? How sad.

India would crush Pakistan and both sides know it.

Not so sure about that. Pakistan would unleash their Terrorist Monsters like the Taliban while at the same time using our advanced weapons we have provided them with. Wont be a pretty picture. They will solve their Taliban problem eventually and then probably move on to taking on India. Just my opinion anyway.

Not so sure about that. Pakistan would unleash their Terrorist Monsters like the Taliban while at the same time using our advanced weapons we have provided them with. Wont be a pretty picture. They will solve their Taliban problem eventually and then probably move on to taking on India. Just my opinion anyway.

India has twice as many active duty troops and Pakistan has active duty and reserve combined. On top of that, India has almost as many reservists as they do active duty. India's navy is years ahead of Pakistan's, with many vessel classes Pakistan plans to introduce over the next few years will only be as good as things India has today and India will have introduced more advanced vessels by the point. Not only that, but while Pakistan relies on purchasing our surplus vessels, India has a very active domestic military R&D sector. Pakistan also does not have any aircraft carriers, while India has one current in service and two in works (a resigned of a unit purchased from Russia and one of domestic design). In terms of aircraft, the countries are about equal in numbers, but India far surpasses Pakistan in quality. Pakistan primarily flies the Mirage III and the J-7. India's air force is mostly comprised of Su-30s and to a less degree with MiG-29s and Mirage 2000s.

Ame®icano;1624866 said:
More than 30,000 Pakistani soldiers launched a ground offensive against al-Qaida and the Taliban's main stronghold along the Afghan border Saturday, officials said, in the country's toughest test yet against a strengthening insurgency.

The United States has long pushed the government to carry out an assault in South Waziristan, and it comes after two weeks of militant attacks that have killed more than 175 people across the nuclear-armed country. That has ramped up pressure on the army to act.

Ground Offensive Begins in Pakistan Al-Qaida Haven

Interesting.

Ame®icano;1624866 said:
More than 30,000 Pakistani soldiers launched a ground offensive against al-Qaida and the Taliban's main stronghold along the Afghan border Saturday, officials said, in the country's toughest test yet against a strengthening insurgency.

The United States has long pushed the government to carry out an assault in South Waziristan, and it comes after two weeks of militant attacks that have killed more than 175 people across the nuclear-armed country. That has ramped up pressure on the army to act.

Ground Offensive Begins in Pakistan Al-Qaida Haven

Interesting.

$7 billion over 4 years doesn't seem like so much if Pakistan picks up the fighting

$7 billion over 4 years doesn't seem like so much if Pakistan picks up the fighting

There's no doubt in my mind that if Obama's plan is to pay the Pakistanis to fight this thing for us out in the mountains they're going to need more then 7 billion... and they'll probably get it. I'd like to see how this strategy plays out though.

"We all Win?" Not sure i can ever agree with that assertion.

If Pakistan can make progress against the taliban and AlQaeda cells within its borders we all win. It doesn't matter if they benefit from it...so does the rest of the world

"We all Win?" Not sure i can ever agree with that assertion.

If Pakistan can make progress against the taliban and AlQaeda cells within its borders we all win. It doesn't matter if they benefit from it...so does the rest of the world

Ding ding ding.

If the Taliban and Al Qaeda gets the foothold they desperately want in Pakistan, then its not outside the realm of possiblity that they can get a hold of the countries nuclear arsenal at some point. Once that happens we will see something horrific.

Its possible to "control" a nuclear powered nation state as they have MAD to live in fear of. Controlling a rogue group with a nuke is impossible.

I don't like funding Pakistan, but I don't see a good option in this case.

What is 'Progress" at this point? It is more likely that the Afghan & Pakistan Governments are going to just pay the Taliban off in the end. They will likely give the Taliban some power in exchange for some temporary Peace. The Taliban will likely come out of this thing more powerful than they were before 911. Who really "Wins" when this eventually happens? Sorry but i just can't go with that whole "We all Win" stuff. Hey just my take anyway.

Last edited:
What is 'Progress" at this point? It is more likely that the Afghan & Pakistan Governments are going to just pay the Taliban off in the end. They will likely give the Taliban some power in exchange for some temporary Peace. The Taliban will likely come out of this thing more powerful than they were before 911. Who really "Wins" when this eventually happens? Sorry but i just can't go with that whole "We all Win" stuff. Hey just my take anyway.

How powerful was the Taliban on 9/11 ??

They controlled all of Afghanistan. How powerful was that?

There will likely be a Power-Sharing agreement reached with the Taliban by the Afghan and Pakistan Governments at some point. Some more power for the Taliban for some temporary peace. The Taliban will never be defeated by the Pakistan and Afghan Governments. It just doesn't matter how much we give to these Governments in terms of American Blood & Treasure. In the end they will all likely just agree to getting rid of the Americans. That's something that many can agree on within Afghanistan and Pakistan. So who really "Wins" in the end when these agreements are eventually reached? Not too many Winners in my opinion except for maybe the Taliban and Al Qaeda.

Forum List

Back