President confused by several Australian colloquialisms, during their first chat with Prime Minister

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
Scott Morrison has joked that he might need an interpreter to translate his colloquialisms when he speaks to world leaders, revealing US President Donald Trump was confused by several of his expressions when the pair had their first conversation as counterparts.

The Prime Minister explained that people overseas don’t know what a “numpty” or a “big unit” is, during a Sydney FM radio interview this morning.

“You didn’t call him (Mr Trump) a numpty did you?” joked Nova FM host Ryan “Fitzy’’ Fitzgerald.
“No, I didn’t call him a numpty, I said I was a ‘rubbish golfer’ and he thought that meant I was a good golfer,” Mr Morrison said of his conversation with the US President the weekend after the leadership spill.

“So I had to explain that no, Joe Hockey is a good golfer. I am a rubbish golfer and that means not very good.
“There’s a few things like that, so I’ve just got to be a bit careful.

“I called one of the foreign finance ministers when I was chatting to the leaders and I said: ‘Yeah he’s a really big unit’, so he’s now known as the ‘big unit’ over there.”

Nocookies

Forum List

Back