President Carter Sued!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
"...five disgruntled readers have filed a class-action lawsuit against President Jimmy Carter and his publisher, Simon & Schuster, alleging that his 2006 book “Palestine Peace Not Apartheid” contained “numerous false and knowingly misleading statements intended to promote the author's agenda of anti-Israel propaganda and to deceive the reading public instead of presenting accurate information as advertised.”

In a press release, one of the attorneys, Nitsana Darshan-Leitner stated: "The lawsuit will expose all the falsehoods and misrepresentations in Carter's book and prove that his hatred of Israel has led him to commit this fraud on the public. He is entitled to his opinions but deceptions and lies have no place in works of history."

Adam Rothberg, a spokesman for Simon & Schuster, said in a statement sent to The Washington Post: “This lawsuit is frivolous, without merit, and is a transparent attempt by the plaintiffs, despite their contentions, to punish the author, a Nobel Peace prize winner and world-renowned statesmen, and his publisher, for writing and publishing a book with which the plaintiffs simply disagree. It is a chilling attack on free speech that we intend to defend vigorously.”
Political Bookworm - President Carter named in $5 million lawsuit over his "Palestine" book

The above is exactly what conservatives have warned about and railed against: attempts to muzzle words and ideas with which one disagrees...

...and a great argument for loser-pays tort reform.

"European political structure is built upon a very different tradition of constructivist rationalism; the future is endangered by the failure of many conservatives to see the dangers in a European and global governance, popular with the US administration, that lacks democratic accountability and threatens liberal freedoms."
https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2008&month=06

Ah, the anti-semite hypocrite is being sued. Too bad we can't sue him about his failed presidency.

While I certainly agree with your execration of the first, or second most incompetent President we have ever had- and I'm not including Buchanan- I hope you will agree that in this country we have no business shutting down his opinions.

"Since arriving in Canada I've been accused of thought crimes, threatened with criminal prosecution for speeches I hadn't yet given and denounced on the floor of the Parliament (which was nice because that one was on my "bucket list"). Posters advertising my speech have been officially banned, while posters denouncing me are plastered all over the University of Ottawa campus. Elected officials have been prohibited from attending my speeches. Also, the local clothing stores are fresh out of brown shirts. Welcome to Canada!"
Coulter

Last edited:
It's a very creative use of the state (New York) consumer protection laws, but IMO, it's a misuse of one. I'll be surprised if this gets to trial....seems unlikely to me it'll even survive a Motion To Dismiss.

I always liked him. This is the first I have heard he's considered an anti-semite. That's upsetting.

If it wasn't for Obama, Jimmy Carter would be the worst President this country has ever had. It's a very close second.

well, you know what they say about opinions, right?

Could it be "Opinions are like assholes - everybody has one"?

Presumably you are counting yourself in this equation?? Hmm?

This is the first I've heard that Carter was a jew hater.

What other evidence that he hates jews is there?

Granted, the man was a flop as Pres, but he wasn't a mean spirited person.

Ah, the anti-semite hypocrite is being sued. Too bad we can't sue him about his failed presidency.

While I certainly agree with your execration of the first, or second most incompetent President we have ever had- and I'm not including Buchanan- I hope you will agree that in this country we have no business shutting down his opinions.

"Since arriving in Canada I've been accused of thought crimes, threatened with criminal prosecution for speeches I hadn't yet given and denounced on the floor of the Parliament (which was nice because that one was on my "bucket list"). Posters advertising my speech have been officially banned, while posters denouncing me are plastered all over the University of Ottawa campus. Elected officials have been prohibited from attending my speeches. Also, the local clothing stores are fresh out of brown shirts. Welcome to Canada!"
Coulter

If his book is billed as History or factual and not a work of fiction then YES people have the right to present their contention that it is full of misrepresentations and lies. That is NOT an attack on the 1st Amendment.

If you could be sued for being stupid, Jimmy Carter would be in court all the time.

I always liked him. This is the first I have heard he's considered an anti-semite. That's upsetting.

People who do any critical thinking about the Jewish Palestine situtaion are often called antisemitic.

Which is strange considering both jews and Pali's are semetic people.

Forum List

Back