President Bush - Thank You

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
After finishing Hank Paulson's excellent recounting of the events leading up to the financial crisis of 2008, On the Brink, I came away with a much greater appreciation for GW Bush's decisive action and clear understanding of what was happening to the United States (and the world's) financial foundations.

While there is much with the Bush administration to find fault, the Bush White House acted in opposition to self-interest, and rather worked in favor of national interest during the critical weeks of the financial meltdown. And George Bush himself, as Hank Paulson made so clear, was involved in every aspect of weathering the storm, showing a strong grasp of both the politics and the policy that led to TARP - and entity which I initially opposed, but am now convinced actually saved us from the economic abyss, and today, is actually making money for the American taxpayer.

In essence, Bush showed the resolve to "suspend the free market in order to save it" - and thus, played an integral role in helping to secure the probability that the United States would in fact emerge from the crisis far more fully intact than would have been possible without such resolve.

This country was truly on the brink folks, far more than most likely realize.

The abyss remains - and certainly with the ever growing burden of out of control spending and debt, it looms ever closer, but to his great credit, George W Bush helped bring us back from that more immiediate darkness in the fall of 2008, and for that, he deserves our thanks.

I have to agree....Bush got it right

In spite of severe opposition from his party, Bush passed TARP which shored up the banks and helped prevent a financial meltdown

Both Paulson and Geitner came up with the same conclusion on TARP

In the long run, I believe that history is going to be a lot kinder to President George W. Bush than the majority of people who post on this board. I admire him - not because he particularly turned the political world upside down but I truly believe he was a man that meant what he said.

I have believed for a long time that in a short time Bush will not be considered nearly as bad a president as he has been made out to be. He will never be considered really good but I believe he was not as evil as the Dems say he was.

In spite of helping to turn around the recession......Bush is still doomed to be the worst president in the last 100 years. Nobody is a close second

- Blowing the Iraq and Afghanistan wars
- Creating the worst recession in 70 years
- Katrina
- Torture

It aint going to get any better for George...even his own father was embarassed

In spite of helping to turn around the recession......Bush is still doomed to be the worst president in the last 100 years. Nobody is a close second

- Katrina
- Torture

yawn.... more leftist asshattery.

- Katrina
- Torture

Watch your precious Obama a few more years and embarassment will be yours.

- Katrina
- Torture

Don't forget he presided over the biggest addition to the national debt in history. He doubled it, adding 6 trillion dollars.

And the economy crashed under his watch too. He was asleep for 8 years regarding the economy.

- Katrina
- Torture

Parrot............ Dickhead want a cracker?

- Katrina
- Torture

You can blow smoke screens all day but any thinking person will never agree that Bush created the worst recession ever. This recession has been in the works for a long flippin time and would have happened if Al Gore was your president.

- Katrina
- Torture

yawn.... more leftist asshattery.

More right wing hiding your head in the sand so you don't have to learn anything.

- Katrina
- Torture

You can blow smoke screens all day but any thinking person will never agree that Bush created the worst recession ever. This recession has been in the works for a long flippin time and would have happened if Al Gore was your president.

I call false on this. Bush didn't do anything about the banks risky loans and selling off derivitives with no accountability for the initial loans. Another President might have tried to put the regulations back on that started being dismantled under the Reagan admin.

Bush was asleep at the wheel for 8 years.

- Katrina
- Torture

Do you ever stop lying? This is the third post of yours I've read today and the third one filled with lies.
Really. You need a new gig. Or maybe truth serum.

I think Bush was so consumed by the post 9-11 world that yes, the economy took a backseat.

But let us not forget that the Democrats controlled Congress for the final two years of the Bush presidency - and repeatedly blocked Republican calls for increased oversight of Fannie and Freddie. What culminated in the economic crisis of 2008 had much blame on both sides of the political aisle. GW Bush, Clinton, Democrats, Republicans - and yes, one could even argue aspects of the Reagan economy were to blame.

What is now more clear to me is that in the final months of his presidency, George W Bush took the kind of decisive and politically unpopular action that ultimately saved our economy. He acted far outside his own political comfort zone, and in Paulson's accounting, was a far more intelligent and purposeful leader than the Democrats or mainstream media ever gave him credit for.

TARP - as much as I dislike its concept in principle, has proven a success - and has already paid the taxpayers billions back in interest.

It has proven a far more necessary and effective use of governmental intervention than the $800 billion stimulus.

Thank you President Bush.

I think Bush was so consumed by the post 9-11 world that yes, the economy took a backseat.

But let us not forget that the Democrats controlled Congress for the final two years of the Bush presidency - and repeatedly blocked Republican calls for increased oversight of Fannie and Freddie. What culminated in the economic crisis of 2008 had much blame on both sides of the political aisle. GW Bush, Clinton, Democrats, Republicans - and yes, one could even argue aspects of the Reagan economy were to blame.

What is now more clear to me is that in the final months of his presidency, George W Bush took the kind of decisive and politically unpopular action that ultimately saved our economy. He acted far outside his own political comfort zone, and in Paulson's accounting, was a far more intelligent and purposeful leader than the Democrats or mainstream media ever gave him credit for.

TARP - as much as I dislike its concept in principle, has proven a success - and has already paid the taxpayers billions back in interest.

It has proven a far more necessary and effective use of governmental intervention than the $800 billion stimulus.

Thank you President Bush.

As I have said before, it is not a Republican vs. Democrat thing. Not that at all. It is a Patriotic American versus a commie liberal pinko sort of thing. Do it boldly and do it with pride and convince your fellow Americans that it is the only way to go to defend the Constitution.
I took an oath of office to stop domestic enemies of the constitution. I am sworn to carry that oath out and have done my damned best to defend the Constitution. Where are the rest of you? Let's get with the program.

Last edited:
Bush set the stage for a bigger crash in the future because of his foolish policies, and hurt the good name of capitalism by claiming he believed in anything remotely resembling it.

Forum List

Back