President Bush: A Truman for our times

Doug

May 23, 2005
England
I have to say, I was surprised by this article, which made me think twice. The commentator, Edward Luttwak -- an individualist, but a knowledgable person -- thinks Bush has done very well. Full article here

Bush is better than Truman. We still have a divided Korea. He should have let MacArthur march across China when he had the chance. We're only going to go to war with both of those countries eventually. It'll probably be fought over here. And the enemy will have better weapons and larger numbers.

While as a conservative I have been very disappointed In Bush. I would bet that he will be looked on by History in a much better light than he is looked on today. This is usually the case with presidents.

This is ridiculous. Luttwak is virtually arguing for amnesia and revisionism. But then this is the bloke that argued Obama is a Muslim and would be held as apostate by Islam.

No credibility. Next?

More like Lyndon Johnson.

Clueless president from Texas gets us envolved in a useless war that costs thousands of lives and billions of dollars.

Thankfully, LBJ was right on the issue of civil liberties, and the Great Society reduced poverty by an increment of 10%. The flag burning amendment and countless proposals against marriage equality which flow from the Bush administration aren't going to stack up favorably. I think there's still some cushions for Dubya on the bottom, but he's not going to be looked upon favorably in 10 years.

He should have let MacArthur march across China when he had the chance.

That would have been one of the biggest blunders in human history. The Sino-Soviet relationship was still strong. Chinese numbers and Soviet weaponry would have easily meant global destruction. The disparity between Soviet and American technology was barely noticeable during the Korean war. Some of the computers Russian scientists made were more powerful than British and French models.

Last edited:
Thankfully, LBJ was right on the issue of civil liberties, and the Great Society reduced poverty by an increment of 10%. The flag burning amendment and countless proposals against marriage equality which flow from the Bush administration aren't going to stack up favorably. I think there's still some cushions for Dubya on the bottom, but he's not going to be looked upon favorably in 10 years.

That would have been one of the biggest blunders in human history. The Sino-Soviet relationship was still strong. Chinese numbers and Soviet weaponry would have easily meant global destruction. The disparity between Soviet and American technology was barely noticeable during the Korean war. Some of the computers Russian scientists made were more powerful than British and French models.

Ronald Reagan al but eliminated poverty. Everyone got a job.

Our "poor peopple" are some of the richest people in the world.

Reagan? Is that the same Reagan who oversaw one of the most massive debt growths, trade deficits, the 1987 stock market crash, savings-and-loans crisis, AND a recession? He must've truly been an economic genius.

Bush is better than Truman. We still have a divided Korea. He should have let MacArthur march across China when he had the chance.

You seriously think we could have walked cross China?

McAuthur wanted us to nuke it, not invade it, as I've been informed regarding that conflict.

We're only going to go to war with both of those countries eventually. It'll probably be fought over here. And the enemy will have better weapons and larger numbers.

China, the enemy?

Don't they have most favored trade nation status?

How do you suppose that happened?

Ronald Reagan al but eliminated poverty. Everyone got a job.

Our "poor peopple" are some of the richest people in the world.

Unemployment was consistently above 7%, sometimes 10%, even with military personnel included in the total. Homelessness shot up. Poverty shot up. Thankfully, inflation went down, but that doesn't excuse everything else.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/data/UNRATE.txt

Of course our poor are some of the best in the world. We're a developed country.

Last edited:
I have to say, I was surprised by this article, which made me think twice. The commentator, Edward Luttwak -- an individualist, but a knowledgable person -- thinks Bush has done very well. Full article here

Bush will not be judged very kindly by history. The war criminal, and corporate criminal will be remembered by his crimes, and the lowest poll numbers in history. Along with starting illegal wars of aggression, detaining citizens without cause and dealing with terrorists for his own financial gain. They almost put Nixon away in hand cuffs. Now lets march Bush, and Cheney out in hand cuffs!:eusa_whistle:

what laughable tripe.

then again.. a publication that touts itself as "It follows that Prospect has attracted a mature, educated, affluent and discerning readership, many of whom have reached the top of their profession" would have a hardon for a president infatuated with that particular class.

one can only wonder how far the bottom jaws of these people protrude.

Does anyone think history will forget to mention how we were lied to by mr. bush as to the motivation for war.

Depends...

Honest historians are no less under attack than honest journalists.

Throw in the dwindling publishing companies that aren't owed by the bigshots, and history becomes just another took of propaganists.

Sure we can publish online, but it's not the same.

Does anyone think history will forget to mention how we were lied to by mr. bush as to the motivation for war.

History will care more about the results than about how we got into it. Just look at Lincoln. He walked all over the constitution and history is very kind to him. Much more kind than people were while he was in office.

Forum List

Back