preserved 40,000 year old baby Mammoth suggest another possibility

American Horse

AKA "Mustang"
Jan 23, 2009
The Hoosier Heartland
A baby woolly mammoth, frozen in soil for 40,000 years in Siberia, was so well preserved that traces of her mother's milk were still in her stomach.
Wooly Mammoth World Tour: First Stop, America - Archaeology | Egyptology | Archeology - FOXNews.com

Very interesting; I'm fascinated with the possibility and hopeful of eventually finding Neandertal remains similarly preserved. Their geographical habitat was much the same; perhaps not in Siberia, but on the steppes of Eurasia; a tarpit or bog near the edge of some long gone glacier might be where they could turn up.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Vel
what about "arty" the missing link they have just found...but yes to find a perserved ancestor would be a magic jump in the fields of research.

Very interesting; I'm fascinated with the possibility and hopeful of eventually finding Neandertal remains similarly preserved.

Factoid: Next Spring National Geographic is going to send an expedition to a WWF match anywhere in Alabama in search of a living Neandertal.

Very interesting; I'm fascinated with the possibility and hopeful of eventually finding Neandertal remains similarly preserved.

Factoid: Next Spring National Geographic is going to send an expedition to a WWF match anywhere in Alabama in search of a living Neandertal.
I've always said that "he's alive and well, and living in Chicago"

A baby woolly mammoth, frozen in soil for 40,000 years in Siberia, was so well preserved that traces of her mother's milk were still in her stomach.
Wooly Mammoth World Tour: First Stop, America - Archaeology | Egyptology | Archeology - FOXNews.com

Very interesting; I'm fascinated with the possibility and hopeful of eventually finding Neandertal remains similarly preserved. Their geographical habitat was much the same; perhaps not in Siberia, but on the steppes of Eurasia; a tarpit or bog near the edge of some long gone glacier might be where they could turn up.

And then what... clone them? You have to admit, cloning a Mammoth or cave man would be a lot more exciting than just finding one. I know the moral dilemma surrounding such an action, but I'd say go for it.

And then what... clone them? You have to admit, cloning a Mammoth or cave man would be a lot more exciting than just finding one. I know the moral dilemma surrounding such an action, but I'd say go for it.

Like you I'd considered that, and after all we would not be cloning a human being, not even a pre-human, but only a sub-human. Still I would go for it only if a population could be restored and an effort was made to give them a habitat where they could develop a society of their own. It's all about science, right?

Forum List

Back