Prescription Info. for Seniors

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
How to Find Better Prices on Your Prescriptions
By Mary Hunt, Cheapskate Monthly
May 18, 2004

Many seniors struggling to pay for these medications don’t meet traditional low-income guidelines to qualify for government assistance programs. That means facing an even more daunting process--applying to each pharmaceutical company’s indigent low-income programs separately. What makes this even more tedious is that each company has it’s own approval process.

While the government and insurance companies continue to wrestle with this issue, some help is available now.

for full article
http://www.cheapskatemonthly.com//ed_cheapskate.asp?ID=12609

• Thanks
Reactions: Joz
Adam's Apple said:
How to Find Better Prices on Your Prescriptions
By Mary Hunt, Cheapskate Monthly
May 18, 2004

Many seniors struggling to pay for these medications don’t meet traditional low-income guidelines to qualify for government assistance programs. That means facing an even more daunting process--applying to each pharmaceutical company’s indigent low-income programs separately. What makes this even more tedious is that each company has it’s own approval process.

While the government and insurance companies continue to wrestle with this issue, some help is available now.

for full article
http://www.cheapskatemonthly.com//ed_cheapskate.asp?ID=12609

Adam, thanks for posting this. While my mom passed away nearly 2 years ago, her drugs were costing my dad over $400 per month, WITH supplemental insurance! :wtf:

Now my dad has been easier. His prescriptions are covered either by the supplemental or VA! (He even got hearing aids at no cost! through the VA. Granted not the hi-tech ones like mine, but he didn't need that anyways. I think living with me and mom-wrecked his hearing.)

Anyone whose parents are over 65 and with limited income-check how they are doing. My mom was on all sorts of blood pressure meds and others due to stroke. BTW, she was always very tiny with low blood pressure, until the stroke. It can happen very quickly.

From the information I can gather, all the drug mfg. is going to stop their assistance to poor people as of 12-31-05 because the Government is going to start "taking care" of it's poor as of 1-1-2006. Together RX is a very good one but it is stopping too.

I posted this article because I know there are a lot of elderly people--and maybe even some younger ones--who need help paying for their prescription drugs. My oldest sister is a divorcee, past retirement age, and is still holding down a part-time job because she needs the health insurance coverage. She would not be able to pay for her medications if she didn't have health insurance coverage provided by her employer. I also know of another case where a 40-something woman, single mother, divorced, working as an LPN, sometimes has to make decisions at the end of the month as to whether she is going to buy food or pay for her medications. Since she has kids, she opts for buying food. So pass this article along to as many people as you may know who could benefit from the information.

Thanks AA for the info. Could have used it myself a few years ago! But having the knowledge to pass on to others, is a very good thing.

Forum List

Back