Pres. Bush - Juror number 286..

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
WACO, Texas — He's called the commander in chief and leader of the free world, but George W. Bush may have a new title: juror No. 286.

The president is among 600 potential jurors who have been summoned to report to court Monday in McLennan County, where he has a 1,600-acre ranch.

State District Judge Ralph Strother said he expects to get a response about the summons but doesn't expect Bush to show up in his court.

"I don't think I'll be sending the sheriff out to bring the president in," said Strother, a Republican who has a grandson serving in Iraq. "It seems to me that the president has plenty of things to occupy his attention. Jury duty is a very important civic function, but running the country, I think, especially in wartime, takes priority over jury service."

White House spokesman Allen Abney said Bush was not aware of the situation and had not received the summons. He declined to elaborate on how the president would handle the jury notice when it arrived at the White House.

McLennan County District Clerk Karen Matkin said her office mailed a jury summons in mid-November to Bush at his ranch in Crawford, about 20 miles west of Waco. Several times a year Bush visits the ranch he bought in 1999, and he voted in Crawford in the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections.

Strother said one of Bush's twin daughters, Barbara, received a jury summons for his court a month ago. Someone called to reschedule her jury service, saying she would be out of the country for the next six months, the judge said.

When Bush was Texas governor in 1996, he was called for jury duty in a drunken-driving case. But he was excused after the defense attorney said Bush's power to pardon convicts could pose a conflict.

But part of Bush's jury questionnaire had been left blank, including a question about previous arrests. It later was revealed that Bush had been arrested for drunken driving in Maine in 1976.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,177323,00.html

I hear about that. they should have him do it during one of his vacations. It may give americans more confidence in the justice system. Of course i doubt any lawyer would put him on a jury just cause, i mean he is the president. but who knows.

I hear about that. they should have him do it during one of his vacations. It may give americans more confidence in the justice system. Of course i doubt any lawyer would put him on a jury just cause, i mean he is the president. but who knows.

The problem is that for the President, a vacation is only a change of venue. Next time Bush spends time in Crawford, look up what he spends his time doing.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/new...AR169984_RTRIDST_0_OUKOE-UK-0DD-BUSH-JURY.XML

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush had to explain that he was a little busy running the United States when he got called for jury duty.

Bush never received the summons to appear at a court in Crawford, Texas, for jury duty on Monday and the White House learnt about it through media reports, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said on Thursday.

"We have since called the court to inform them that the president has other commitments on Monday, and that he would like to reschedule his jury duty," McClellan said.

Last week, the man Bush beat to get re-elected last year, Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, served as foreman on a jury for two days at a civil case in Boston.

Bush, whose ranch is in Crawford, is scheduled to give a speech in North Carolina on Monday.

"One serious note: jury duty is an important civic responsibility. And it's important that people do serve," McClellan said

I heard the audio on this...the press chuckled good-naturedly when McClellan stated that the President was busy on Monday.

Hobbit said:
The problem is that for the President, a vacation is only a change of venue. Next time Bush spends time in Crawford, look up what he spends his time doing.

Oh I know that. I am just saying he could do that and I wonder what the libs would think.

I hope everyone noted that John Kerry was not busy.

I guess that's what happens when you skip work all the time.

Forum List

Back