Prepared Statement

First off there is no forgiveness, My father died from the injuries that this young lady caused and she will only be charged with a 4th degree felony abuse of a patient.

Now, Wednesday is when we have the sentencing and of course certain members of the family are not happy with my statement because it doesn't recognize them as individuals. So I added one line. For those of you who have been in court, what do you think.

Your Honor,

My name is Everett Oliver, and I have a short statement to read which I hope will show
most of my families feelings.

Our father raised 7 children, 3 of which were step children. It made no difference to him, we were all his kids. I don’t believe there was ever a time he treated any of us any different than any other. Nor could he have loved any of us any differently.

We were raised not to hate or to even carry a grudge, and though we were taught to walk away from trouble, when possible, we were also taught to face trouble when it came at us.

Dad used to tell us how he never wanted to live with any of us. That it wouldn’t be right. We finally did have to place him where we believed he would be safe. Where trouble would not find him.

On 30 July of last year Dad had trouble come straight at him and he couldn’t have walked away if he tried. We believe a great injustice was done. And we believe the person responsible for it should pay for that injustice.

We are not lawyers, but common sense people, we grew up in simple times in a rough neighborhood. We do not know the law, but we know that our Father was taken from us years before he was ready to leave.

With the courts permission I would like the family members to rise for a moment.

We cannot express the words that can show how we miss him.
Nothing can bring back his little jokes, His smiles, and his reassuring hand.

We can do no more than ask that the maximum punishment be levied in this case.

Thank you.

"First off there is no forgiveness,"

Contradicts:

"We were raised not to hate or to even carry a grudge,"

I'm well aware the first quote is not what you are going to say in court. But as I've noted before, your statement to the court contradicts what he taught.

As for the addition, I would do it a little differently. I would replace:

"With the courts permission I would like the family members to rise for a moment."

With,

"Myself, family member's name (and that person rises), family member's name (and that person rises) etc"

(Until they are all standing)

And continue right in to:

"We cannot express the words that can show how we miss him. "

While they are standing. They could quietly sit back down or wait until the statement is complete.

I seriously doubt the judge would order a halt to it.

First off there is no forgiveness, My father died from the injuries that this young lady caused and she will only be charged with a 4th degree felony abuse of a patient.

Now, Wednesday is when we have the sentencing and of course certain members of the family are not happy with my statement because it doesn't recognize them as individuals. So I added one line. For those of you who have been in court, what do you think.

Your Honor,

My name is Everett Oliver, and I have a short statement to read which I hope will show

Our father raised 7 children, 3 of which were step children. It made no difference to him, we were all his kids. I don’t believe there was ever a time he treated any of us any different than any other. Nor could he have loved any of us any differently.

We were(Our father) keep bringing up the reference. raised not to hate or to even carry a grudge, and though we were taught to walk away from trouble, when possible, we were also taught to face trouble when it came at us.

Dad used to tell us how he never wanted to live with any of us. That it wouldn’t be right. We finally did have to place him where we believed he would be safe and well cared for.. Where trouble and harm, hatred or violence would not find him.

On 30 July of last year Dad had trouble come straight at himin the from of "her name". Trouble that our father couldn't [and he] couldn’t have walked away if he tried. We believe a great injustice was done. And we believe the person responsible for it should pay for that injustice.

We are not lawyers, but common sense people, we grew up in simple times in a rough neighborhood. We do not know the law, but we know that our Father was taken from us years before he was ready to leave. Our fathers death was premature.

With the courts permission I would like the family members to rise for a moment.

We cannot express the words that can show how we miss him. We cannot express how our lives have been affected and forever changed by his death. We your Honor are victims of "her name" too.
Nothing can bring back his little jokes, His smiles, and his reassuring hand. Nothing can be changed or done to bring him back to life.

We can do no more than ask that the maximum punishment be levied in this case. of abuse,a crime that my father had to suffer until it finally ended his life.

Thank you.

I added a few thoughts in red. Sorry if that is not what you wanted in the way of ideas or editing. *hugs*

Last edited:
Let me say, I very recently lost a good friend in very similar circumstances. Her husband is pondering investigating the rehab but is conflicted because she didn't want to do that between them breaking her hip and her passing away.
(she was in rehab because she fell and broke her hip......so they "took care" of her by re-breaking it in 3 additional places). From what we know it was not simply an accident but deliberate rough handling. They basically pushed her down in the shower.

Abuse in nursing/rehab homes is one of those areas of crime that receive little to no attention because not enough people care. I think it would be reasonable to have all interactions between staff and patients recorded via digital video. It's the only way to police the abuse.

Let me say, I very recently lost a good friend in very similar circumstances. Her husband is pondering investigating the rehab but is conflicted because she didn't want to do that between them breaking her hip and her passing away.
(she was in rehab because she fell and broke her hip......so they "took care" of her by re-breaking it in 3 additional places). From what we know it was not simply an accident but deliberate rough handling. They basically pushed her down in the shower.

Abuse in nursing/rehab homes is one of those areas of crime that receive little to no attention because not enough people care. I think it would be reasonable to have all interactions between staff and patients recorded via digital video. It's the only way to police the abuse.
What if the person in the nursing home doesn't want such an invasion of privacy?

I'd like to read the facts of the case, not that I doubt you Ollie. But how are you so certain it was done on purpose? I'd have to be 100% before I could get up and make that statement.

What if the person in the nursing home doesn't want such an invasion of privacy?

I'd like to read the facts of the case, not that I doubt you Ollie. But how are you so certain it was done on purpose? I'd have to be 100% before I could get up and make that statement.

If a resident/patient didn't want it then obviously their privacy should be respected. Plus, I'm not saying the patient would be recorded 24/7. Only the interactions between staff and patients.

There is one witness that said she saw the defendant raise her fist to him while he was stuck behind the door. He also had injuries on top of his toes, his heels, and his elbows. There really is little doubt that she pinned him behind the door. From what we were told she was upset because she couldn't work overtime and had already clocked out.

There is one witness that said she saw the defendant raise her fist to him while he was stuck behind the door. He also had injuries on top of his toes, his heels, and his elbows. There really is little doubt that she pinned him behind the door. From what we were told she was upset because she couldn't work overtime and had already clocked out.
Ah...well in that case she should get the maximum punishment. I think your statement is just right.

Ah...well in that case she should get the maximum punishment. I think your statement is just right.

Also this is a sentencing hearing, she has already plead Guilty as Charged.

Thank you.

Your Honor,

We were raised not to hate or to even carry a grudge, and though we were taught to walk away from trouble, when possible, we were also taught to face trouble when it came at us.

Dad used to tell us how he never wanted to live with any of us. That it wouldn’t be right. We finally did have to place him where we believed he would be safe. Where trouble would not find him.

On 30 July of last year Dad had trouble come straight at him and he couldn’t have walked away if he tried. We believe a great injustice was done. And we believe the person responsible for it should pay for that injustice.

We are not lawyers, but common sense people, we grew up in simple times in a rough neighborhood. We do not know the law, but we know that our Father was taken from us years before he was ready to leave.

We cannot express the words that can show how we miss him.
Nothing can bring back his little jokes, His smiles, and his reassuring hand.

We can do no more than ask that the maximum punishment be levied in this case.

Thank you.

"First off there is no forgiveness,"

Contradicts:

"We were raised not to hate or to even carry a grudge,"

I'm well aware the first quote is not what you are going to say in court. But as I've noted before, your statement to the court contradicts what he taught.

As for the addition, I would do it a little differently. I would replace:

"With the courts permission I would like the family members to rise for a moment."

With,

"Myself, family member's name (and that person rises), family member's name (and that person rises) etc"

(Until they are all standing)

And continue right in to:

"We cannot express the words that can show how we miss him. "

While they are standing. They could quietly sit back down or wait until the statement is complete.

I seriously doubt the judge would order a halt to it.

I'm very sorry for your loss, Ollie.

I, too, would drop the "There is no forgiveness" business. A simple straightforward "My father died ..." actually has more impact.

I would leave in the "with the Court's permission." Shows respect for the Judge and the Court.

I think it would be better for the family members to stand in unison without each name being called. As callous as it sounds, the Court's dockets are packed and showing respect for the Judge's time is always good thing.

All in all, it's a very good victim's statement.

How is the speech coming along Ollie?

Well, I spoke with the Victim Assistance department of the Prosecutors office today. They said that the Judge we will appear before is very strict when it comes to theatrics, but that having the family stand quietly is well within his limits and they believe it to be a good idea.

So tomorrow morning 0830 hrs...................

I'm on.

And at last count we'll have somewhere between 15 and 25 family members present.

I just have to wonder, why do they always pick me?

How is the speech coming along Ollie?

Well, I spoke with the Victim Assistance department of the Prosecutors office today. They said that the Judge we will appear before is very strict when it comes to theatrics, but that having the family stand quietly is well within his limits and they believe it to be a good idea.

So tomorrow morning 0830 hrs...................

I'm on.

And at last count we'll have somewhere between 15 and 25 family members present.

I just have to wonder, why do they always pick me?

They picked you Ollie because they love you and trust you to do a great job!

Good luck! Remember to breathe and you will do just fine. :) *hugs*

Fact is I have spoken to as many as 1500 people at a time. I have given briefings to 3 star (Lieutenant) Generals. But, I changed back in 99, when I had a small Heart attack and my Mother died 2 weeks later. Now days I tend to choke up emotionally, and not so much at sad things but at patriotic and happy things as well.

I guess life changes for us all, even old gruff Sergeants.

I'm certain I will make a good presentation. Now if the judge will only think so.

Fact is I have spoken to as many as 1500 people at a time. I have given briefings to 3 star (Lieutenant) Generals. But, I changed back in 99, when I had a small Heart attack and my Mother died 2 weeks later. Now days I tend to choke up emotionally, and not so much at sad things but at patriotic and happy things as well.

I guess life changes for us all, even old gruff Sergeants.

I'm certain I will make a good presentation. Now if the judge will only think so.

Ollie, you speak the truth! A man, who has been a soldier for a solid part of his life, growing older and enduring tough challenges can emote postively (as you are doing) or negatively as many of our peers have. Good for you. Showing emotion at good and happy things, as well as sad things, is good, I think. The Boy Scouts march the flag by, a mother with a baby, that kind of thing, brings a tear. That's OK. Goo for you.

Well, surprise surprise. It isn't over.

After accepting the guilty plea deal, which said that the prosecutor would not recommend any jail time, this stupid woman and her lawyer came into court and tried to make the case in their pre-sentencing statements that she had done nothing wrong and was innocent.

Well I did make my statement first, and I made it all the way through without breaking up till the next to last sentence. At any rate there was no sentence given.

The judge told her flat out that she had already plead Guilty and yet today she says she is not guilty. That he could not guess which statement was the truth. he permitted her to speak with her lawyer, and then permitted her to change her plea to not guilty and set up a jury trial.

We are thinking about pushing for additional charges just because she is such an idiot. And now obviously a liar. So we have a tentative court date of 2 August. Just when we are supposed to leave to go visit the kids we haven't seen in about 8 years. AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Want Closure

Forum List

Back