Preordered my ticket for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Midnight, July 14th. Woot!

Gotta question.

The Harry Potter website says the movie is being released on Wednesday July 15th and to check local listings for special midnight shows, and yet every website I look at for pre-ordering the midnight shows is offering tix for a 12.01am show on Tuesday 14th.

So basically what that's saying is that if you go to the 12.01 show you can see the movie 23 hours and 59 minutes before its official release date of July 15th.

So - my question....

Are you going in the wee small hours of Tuesday morning (14th), or the wee small hours of Wednesday morning (15th, the day the movie is supposed to be released)?

Or is the Harry Potter website that says the movie comes out on the 15th actually wrong?

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Or are both my wife and I somehow missing something and being immensely stupid? :confused:

Somehow, with only seeing the part "Preordered my tick..." I automatically assumed you were talking about Harry Potter. And I was right!

Unfortunately, do to personal circumstances, I will be unable to see the film until August... :(

Gotta question.

The Harry Potter website says the movie is being released on Wednesday July 15th and to check local listings for special midnight shows, and yet every website I look at for pre-ordering the midnight shows is offering tix for a 12.01am show on Tuesday 14th.

So basically what that's saying is that if you go to the 12.01 show you can see the movie 23 hours and 59 minutes before its official release date of July 15th.

So - my question....

Are you going in the wee small hours of Tuesday morning (14th), or the wee small hours of Wednesday morning (15th, the day the movie is supposed to be released)?

Or is the Harry Potter website that says the movie comes out on the 15th actually wrong?

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Or are both my wife and I somehow missing something and being immensely stupid? :confused:

It's midnight July 15th but technically it's July 14th night.

It's too bad the next 3 movies are going to pale in comparison plot wise to the 1st 5 books. The 1st 7th book movie is going to be camping. :eusa_eh:

It's a shame that Rowling "borrowed" the basic concepts of LOTR and Star Wars though.

Similarities Between Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings

$Harry Potter-Star Wars.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh well, who cares if she "borrowed" some ideas, heck, most authors of fantasy fiction do! ;)

The 14 yo is excited about seeing the movie, we were just talking about it a few minutes ago, she's watching the old Harry Potter movies right now on the Family Channel!

Remember, Rowling got kids to get off the computer and start reading again! :clap2:

Preordered my ticket for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

You do realize that the movie will be the same exact movie on August 3rd. And the tickets may not be as difficult to get at that time.

I never go to a movie on opening weekend, always wait at least 1 or 2 week. I think it was Chamber of Secrets we HAD to go on opening weekend tho, to meet Hagrid...when our son was 9. And now he's a couple of months away from getting a drivers license, wow how time flies...

Oh well, who cares if she "borrowed" some ideas, heck, most authors of fantasy fiction do! ;)

The 14 yo is excited about seeing the movie, we were just talking about it a few minutes ago, she's watching the old Harry Potter movies right now on the Family Channel!

Remember, Rowling got kids to get off the computer and start reading again! :clap2:

I'm watching said movies at the moment myself. However, it cannot be denied that the quality of the books began to drop off at #5. #3 was always my favorite book.

Looking back now though, it was and will probably be always an enjoyable read but it's highly flawed. J.K had too many plot holes or inconsistencies or just plain no common sense throughout the books. The problem being that originally she wanted to write 3 but the Publishers wanted 7. :eusa_eh:

I'm watching said movies at the moment myself. However, it cannot be denied that the quality of the books began to drop off at #5. #3 was always my favorite book.

Looking back now though, it was and will probably be always an enjoyable read but it's highly flawed. J.K had too many plot holes or inconsistencies or just plain no common sense throughout the books. The problem being that originally she wanted to write 3 but the Publishers wanted 7. :eusa_eh:

Yeah, I bet all those millions they were throwing at her didn't hurt either! :lol:

Yeah, I bet all those millions they were throwing at her didn't hurt either! :lol:

Probably not ;)

But that's exactly my point. At that point it seemed "fulfill the 7 book commitment, get the money, and never ever have to do anything for yourself ever again." :lol:

Though if you want my honest opinion, the last two books and even a good part of #5 were cop outs. Another thing, #5 was the longest, and it gets one movie. #7 is I believe the 2nd or 3rd longest (don't remember off the top of my head) yet it gets two movies for the people to make a billion more. Gotta love it. :lol:

Couldn't agree more. We've watched Philosopher, Goblet and Phoenix over the last 2 days/nights with our two (11 and 9) and they are getting soooo excited. I've booked the tickets and they have no idea they are going to a midnight show.

While watching the first one, I noticed for the first time that it had been shot two ways, one using the term "Sorcerers Stone" for the US, and one using "Philosophers Stone" for everywhere else. I'm surprised Warner Brothers didn't revert to the original title for the film, unless of course they were legally obliged to use the term "Sorcerers" for the movie title as well.

I liked all the books. But then again I read them for enjoyment rather than from a literary criticism perspective.

My only criticism of the later books were that they started to get a bit long. That said, my daughter (who was 9 when it came out) read book 7 cover to cover in less than 72 hours.

Couldn't agree more. We've watched Philosopher, Goblet and Phoenix over the last 2 days/nights with our two (11 and 9) and they are getting soooo excited. I've booked the tickets and they have no idea they are going to a midnight show.

While watching the first one, I noticed for the first time that it had been shot two ways, one using the term "Sorcerers Stone" for the US, and one using "Philosophers Stone" for everywhere else. I'm surprised Warner Brothers didn't revert to the original title for the film, unless of course they were legally obliged to use the term "Sorcerers" for the movie title as well.

They used Sorcerers Stone because they felt children wouldn't want to read a book with the title "Philosopher" in it. (No lie)

It was one of J.K's regrets looking back.

I liked all the books. But then again I read them for enjoyment rather than from a literary criticism perspective.

My only criticism of the later books were that they started to get a bit long. That said, my daughter (who was 9 when it came out) read book 7 cover to cover in less than 72 hours.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all 7 books at first read, and I still love the first four books to this day. However, after a second, and third read, I started to notice certain things, and I certainly wasn't the only one.

I was always one of the ones at the midnight releases and had read Book 7 from Midnight to 6 am that morning having finished it around 6:30. I understand what you're saying though, that's why I feel the quality started to slip towards the end because she packed so little if you take a step back into so many pages.

It's why I call HBP the "Book about nothing" excluding the end. :lol:

Just hope hollywood does what it normally does with books to movies and "ruins" the last 3 movies.

That list of similarities between HP and LOTR is pretty weak.

The 1st 7th book movie is going to be camping. :eusa_eh:

Actually, it's not going to be camping. It's going to be adventure. We get to see more of the wizarding world outside of Hogwarts, which is exciting.

You do realize that the movie will be the same exact movie on August 3rd. And the tickets may not be as difficult to get at that time.

Negative. August 3rd would be a regular show, and regular shows mean lots of children I want to punch in the fucking throat for acting stupid during a movie. Midnight shows are almost always young adults.

I disagree completely. Prisoner of Azkaban is also my favorite of the books, followed very closely by Order of the Phoenix, but I would take Half-blood Prince over 1, 2, and 4 anyday. Half-blood Prince offers back story that is crucial to the development of the series' most complex character: Snape. Deathly Hallows was a good read, and I think it was a phenomenal conclusion. I can't wait to see how the battle at Hogwarts turns out. I visualize Kreacher with a butcher knife every time I see him in Order of the Phoenix.

What makes the split final two films exciting is the difference in the tone. The first will be adventure; the second will be almost like a war movie. I'm excited to see it all play out on screen. I just hope they don't edit Mrs. Weasley's final words to Bellatrix, because that was one of the BEST parts in the book.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back