Prenuptial agreements...

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
What do you think about prenuptial agreements?
Always wrong? Needed always, sometimes or never?

I think they are an easy way out of personal responsibility.
If you want to be married, be married...no if-then-but crap.
Make a good choice to start with...If it's wrong, deal with it.

Mr. P said:

sometimes your family makes you impliment them in order to maintain the family goodies

If there are kids from a prior marriage, where a parent died, I can see needing one. Especially if most of the wealth obtained was while the now deceased spouse was alive. That way the offspring of that parent will not risk losing what their parent worked with the living parent to acquire. Too often once a man or woman remarries the new family becomes their priority and the kids that were brought into the world from the previous marriage get pushed aside.

If now, this is not the case, I think prenupts are bull as entering into a marriage under such conditions means one doesn't expect it to work from day one.

JMHO.

freeandfun1 said:
If there are kids from a prior marriage, where a parent died, I can see needing one. Especially if most of the wealth obtained was while the now deceased spouse was alive. That way the offspring of that parent will not risk losing what their parent worked with the living parent to acquire. Too often once a man or woman remarries the new family becomes their priority and the kids that were brought into the world from the previous marriage get pushed aside.

If now, this is not the case, I think prenupts are bull as entering into a marriage under such conditions means one doesn't expect it to work from day one.

JMHO.

What he said.

I would never ask anyone to sign one, and I would balk at being asked to sign one myself. If you're starting out with distrust, it's not a good thing.

Mr. P said:

I agree, Mr. P. Pre-nups are just another way to say, "till death do us part... or until I get bored."

At one time "til death us do part" meant something. A first marriage is estimated to last 9.5 years. Half of all second marriages end in divorce. I like to think the idea of the ideal marriage exists. I also wish there were fairy godmothers.
So, some man works his ass off to acquire a sizeable nest egg. Depending on where he lives, the divorced Mrs. is going to get HALF; then negotiations begin.
At one time I would think I wasn't trusted or didn't trust; I would have been offended. I think it can be a necessary evil.

Joz said:
At one time "til death us do part" meant something. A first marriage is estimated to last 9.5 years. Half of all second marriages end in divorce. I like to think the idea of the ideal marriage exists. I also wish there were fairy godmothers.
So, some man works his ass off to acquire a sizeable nest egg. Depending on where he lives, the divorced Mrs. is going to get HALF; then negotiations begin.
At one time I would think I wasn't trusted or didn't trust; I would have been offended. I think it can be a necessary evil.

It's sorta like telling a kid about condoms----you hope they don't use em but it's a damn good thing they know about em just in case

Forum List

Back