Premiere Conservative Publication Says No To Gingrich

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
The National Review: Newt Gingrich Nomination Would 'Blow This Opportunity' Of Winning In 2012

By Chris Gentilviso

In recent months, polls have been kind to GOP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich. Voters appear to be jumping to the side of the former House Speaker, with the Georgian edging Mitt Romney at a national level.

As for conservative media outlets, the feeling toward Gingrich has leaned more toward cold, headed by a premiere right-wing publication. The National Review published a forceful editorial on Wednesday, cautioning voters against granting Gingrich the GOP nomination. The piece notes how Republicans have a major opportunity within their grasp -- a chance to win back the White House. To make that a reality, the editors say Gingrich is not the best fit.

"We fear that to nominate former Speaker Newt Gingrich, the frontrunner in the polls, would be to blow this opportunity," the editorial states.

The editors went on to slam Gingrich's character flaws during his time in office in the 1990s, noting that it was right for his tenure as House Speaker to end.

"...his impulsiveness, his grandiosity, his weakness for half-baked (and not especially conservative) ideas -- made him a poor Speaker of the House. Again and again he combined incendiary rhetoric with irresolute action, bringing Republicans all the political costs of a hardline position without actually taking one. Again and again he put his own interests above those of the causes he championed in public."​

More: The National Review: Newt Gingrich Nomination Would 'Blow This Opportunity' Of Winning In 2012

David Frum on the GOP's Lost Sense of Reality

Some of my Republican friends ask if I’ve gone crazy. I say: Look in the mirror.

It’s a very strange experience to have your friends think you’ve gone crazy. Some will tell you so. Others will indulgently humor you. Still others will avoid you. More than a few will demand that the authorities do something to get you off the streets. During one unpleasant moment after I was fired from the think tank where I’d worked for the previous seven years, I tried to reassure my wife with an old cliché: “The great thing about an experience like this is that you learn who your friends really are.” She answered, “I was happier when I didn’t know.”

It’s possible that my friends are right. I don’t think so—but then, crazy people never do. So let me put the case to you.

I’ve been a Republican all my adult life. I have worked on the editorial page of The Wall Street Journal, at Forbes magazine, at the Manhattan and American Enterprise Institutes, as a speechwriter in the George W. Bush administration. I believe in free markets, low taxes, reasonable regulation, and limited government. I voted for John *McCain in 2008, and I have strongly criticized the major policy decisions of the Obama administration. But as I contemplate my party and my movement in 2011, I see things I simply cannot support.

America desperately needs a responsible and compassionate alternative to the Obama administration’s path of bigger government at higher cost. And yet: This past summer, the GOP nearly forced America to the verge of default just to score a point in a budget debate. In the throes of the worst economic crisis since the Depression, Republican politicians demand massive budget cuts and shrug off the concerns of the unemployed. In the face of evidence of dwindling upward mobility and long-stagnating middle-class wages, my party’s economic ideas sometimes seem to have shrunk to just one: more tax cuts for the very highest earners. When I entered Republican politics, during an earlier period of malaise, in the late seventies and early eighties, the movement got most of the big questions—crime, inflation, the Cold War—right. This time, the party is getting the big questions disastrously wrong.

Much More: David Frum on the GOP's Lost Sense of Reality -- New York Magazine

An honorable Republican candidate cannot win the GOP Primary - because of its base. The base wants a radical wingnut in the White House. Hence, the base is the root problem.

Obama is a gay marxist that has sex with his ss guards and his dog. I'm dead fucking serious! He does meth within the white house as he prays on his muslim rag, but yet he is likely going to win another 4 years! This country has gone insane.

Obama is a gay marxist that has sex with his ss guards and his dog. I'm dead fucking serious! He does meth within the white house as he prays on his muslim rag, but yet he is likely going to win another 4 years! This country has gone insane.

Hmmm... you sound like a solid member of the wingnut base...

U think it is you who has gone insane.

Forum List

Back