Premature Withdrawl...?

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
No,no,no...Get yer mind outta th' gutter!

I'm talking about Proconsul Bremer's visit to Washington. The lack of any real strategy for withdrawl from continues to rear its ugly head as Bremer and Dubbyuh (read Dubbyuh's handlers) meet at the White House today.

Criticism is mounting over the plan to return Iraq to a self governance by July of this year. Most folks on the ground over there say that such a time frame is totally unrealistc, including many Iraqis.

This time frame seems more influenced by the needs of Dubbyuh's election bid than the needs of the Iraqi people. Which should really come as no surprise to anyone as that's what most of the Administration's decision weighted towards.

I love it!

The liberals complain nonstop "Bring home our troops". Then in the next breath they condemn the idea of bringing troops home!

:boohoo:

I agree Jim, the very idea of leaving Iraq before its ready is not only ludicrous but should be an absolutely terrifying thought to anyone with a brain. Not only are they not ready to be left alone but the threat of the 'terrorist breeding ground' is all too real at this point in time.

At present there does not seem to be a criteria for judging when withdrawal is a realistic proposition. Without such a yardstick I do not see how a realistic programme can be established let alone implemented.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
No,no,no...Get yer mind outta th' gutter!

I'm talking about Proconsul Bremer's visit to Washington. The lack of any real strategy for withdrawl from continues to rear its ugly head as Bremer and Dubbyuh (read Dubbyuh's handlers) meet at the White House today.

So any meeting between Bush and Bremer is a sign of failure and a lack of direction? I would imagine that, regardless of progress, the two men would have meetings regarding the reconstruction of Iraq.

Great attempt at spin, though. Better luck next time.

Originally posted by jimnyc
I love it!

The liberals complain nonstop "Bring home our troops". Then in the next breath they condemn the idea of bringing troops home!

Point 1: Who says I'm a liberal. I just tell it like it is.

Point 2: While against Howdy's dirty little war from the gitgo, we hafta clean up the mess the stupid little peckerwood's gotten us into. We CAN"T bring our troops home now.

I thought he was coming back here to help Bush prepare for some UN summit that is coming up. I don't think there is any way that the US completely pulls out in June unless the UN is completely entrusted to take over the nation building. I really don't see Bush allowing that to happen.

However, if his poll numbers are floundering in April or May, he may be forced to accept defeat on the Iraq democratization to posture himself for a strong finish of 2004. I can easily see that happening. Don't forget, Karl Rove is pulling the strings here.

Just my two cents.

-Bam

Most liberals know it is a terrible idea to just leave Iraq the way it is now and so do I. Iraq would become a new haven for terrorists or a new dictator just like saddam would rise.

I would agree. But I would rather the UN take over and get the majority of the US troops home. As the days go by, it is becoming obvious to me that the US has bitten off more than it can chew.

The troops have done a great job and deserve to come home to their loved ones. Saddam is gone and any threat that he was is gone with him. Why not let the UN have this mess? The summers in that region are nothing short of brutal.

-Bam

As the days go by, it is becoming obvious to me that the US has bitten off more than it can chew.

I couldn't disagree more bam. The reason this occupation is facing comparisons to vietnam is that it is being fought with that mentality. The chickenhawk civilians in charge are refusing to face that fact that there are not enough troops there to do the job. Security sucks because the troops are spread thin in some areas and too tight in others. Not to mention that the poor ass planning for the occupation has resulted in major burnout for a majority of the troops leading to increased suicides among them and may be the reason for a majority of the successful insurgent attacks.

If the powers that be would cut the BS out of it all and get down to some serious business of helping Iraq get on its democratic feet by doubling the number of troops there and start planning for decent troop rotation then security would improve, life for the iraqis would improve, and iraq would cease to be a hostile battlefield and take shape as an emerging democracy.

I agree with you DK, but doubling the number of troops in Iraq will make the stabilization of Afghanistan and the protection of the homeland a far more difficult task. When I say "bit off more than it can chew" I am considering the other elements of the administration's war on terror. Doubling troop strength in Iraq, increasing troop counts in Afghanistan, pursuing Al-Queda in the South Pacific and other places around the globe while also keeping security at home tight requires more troops than we currently have. The inability of Bush to get more international troops then are currently there is also a consideration.

Without restarting the draft or enticing many more volunteers to enlist, the US just can't cover all the bases.

-Bam

I don't know about military size anymore. When I was in the corps (84-90) we had over 1 million in the army, 1 million in the air force, 800k in the navy, and just over 250k in the corps.

Not counting the guard, which technically should be guarding US facilities like airports and the like (with real ammo this time, not just the weapons) It is feasible. Things would get done much quicker and safer and we could really move on this war on terror.

Originally posted by bamthin
I would agree. But I would rather the UN take over and get the majority of the US troops home. As the days go by, it is becoming obvious to me that the US has bitten off more than it can chew.

The troops have done a great job and deserve to come home to their loved ones. Saddam is gone and any threat that he was is gone with him. Why not let the UN have this mess? The summers in that region are nothing short of brutal.

-Bam

Unfortunately Howdy has squadered most, if not all, of the international good will generated towards this country after the Fall of the WTC. And given the Administration's insistence on having its way in Iraq, the UN isn't too inclined to help. But I agree, the sooner we get UN troops in there, the better. The only thing standing in the way is Howdy and his merry band.

Forum List

Back