Prejudice - some thoughts.

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by ErikViking, May 29, 2006.

1. ErikViking

ErikViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I am prejudiced.

My whole life is based on it. I draw alot of conclusions without knowing things, instead I rely on prejudice. It is quick, it is easy and it saves time. Alot of time. It is acctually about oddment, isn't it?

I am prejudice in traffic. It saves my life. I am prejudice about colored people (Very often they speak the language badly, so they are not my first choice of asking for the right way, for instance)

But I know I am prejudiced. By knowing it I can easy reevaluate and change my initial prejudice. I adapt well I guess. And thinking of it, doesn't everyone work this way? Aren't we all prejudiced?

From now on I am not going to see the prejudice as the wrong thing, but rather people who claim they are not. I'll prejudice them as liers from now on.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'll join that bandwagon. I know that most illegal immigrants are coming to get a better life. I know that. Still, I know that is true of the Eastern Europeans, Israelis, Middle Easterners too. They do not have the proximity to raise the finger to our borders. So they have to abide by the rules, pity for them.

Our country has lots of problems, the illegals being a significant one, at the same time, it's so wonderful that immigrants from all aspects of the earth, try to come here, only a few are able. Seems wrong that illegals are to be granted carte blanche.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Everyone is prejudiced/discriminatory. It is impossible to not be so unless one concedes to being a bowl of Jell-O. It is impossible to make a decision without discriminating.

4. LOki

LOki The Yaweh of Mischief

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Hey GunnyL! Game On! :D
    It is not necesary to prejudge anything, so I disagree that everyone must be prejudiced. I'll admit that it is difficult to avoid, I'll even admit that prejudjing is not advisable to avoid, and I'm not going to admit that I am sucessful myself or particularly need to be. I can admit to prejudging people--but I'll say this: I am not prejudiced on the basis of skin tone--at all.

There are boatloads of folks who are not discriminatory. To be discriminatory requires the capacity to recognize and act based on the differences between things. Those who don't know their elbow from a hole in the ground are not discriminatory. Pigs are not discriminatory in what they eat.

The important distictions are the basis upon how one judges others, the relevance one places on particular differences, and the validity of prejudging one characteristic based on another.

Cognizant that this thread concerns bigotry, let me assert that it is valid to recognize differenced in skin tone amongst human beings. But it is invalid to make the assertion that skin tone in any way, has any effect on an individual's intelligence, moral bearing, or competence.

Those who assert that skin tone is the place where a man's intellect, moral bearing, or competence is determined are morons. They are morons attempting to assign to themselves the legitimate virtues of others, that they do not posses themselves, based on irrelevent critera. e.g. Einstein had white skin; Einstein was a genius: I have white skin; I am a genius.

The upshot of this bullshit is that in order to maintain the validity of their basis of their unearned possession of these virtues, they must now villify other skin tones (in this case) to deny the corellations evident in the presence of virtues possessed by indiviuals who are superficially different.

Nonsense.

Truth.

5. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708

Not picking a fight. Merely pointing out that prejudice and discrimination in of themselves are not "bad" traits. They can be when applied to race, etc.

6. LOki

LOki The Yaweh of Mischief

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Yes, really. Case in point: I don't prejudge the person, armed and trying to hide in that dark alley, as a mugger. That's not to say I ignore him, and it's not to say that I don't prepare myself for him being a mugger. I just recognized the possibilty that he might just be taking a piss, he might be cop, he might be anybody armed for legitimate purposes, standing in a dark alley for legitimate purposes. So I don't prejudge.

I'm pretty sure they are morons. Bullshit that is taught is bullshitthat can be untaught. If these morons cannot recognize the illegitimacy of the lessons they have been taught in light of the patent falsensss of the conclusions those lessons arrive at, then they rightfully deserve to be called morons. And I'd say it's more accurate to note that some racists appear to be smart people, rather than some smart people appear to be racist.

I think we are agreeing. Prejudice and discrimination, in and of themselves, are not necessarily bad, but certain basis for predjudice, and certain applications of discrimination are certainly bad--particularly those that prejudge the quality of a person, and then discriminate on the basis of skin color.

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    This agrument ignores the fact that humans can instantly toss off whatever predjudice and discimination that was inaccurate and assume a new attitude to the situation when reality presents itself.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    This agrument ignores the fact that humans can instantly toss off whatever predjudice and discimination that was inaccurate and assume a new attitude to the situation when reality presents itself.

9. ErikViking

ErikViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    What does this mean?

10. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Scenario: You're going to be dropped off at midnight in either an all white neigborhood, or an all black neighborhood, that's all the information you're going to get about the neighborhood.

Which do you choose?