Prejudice - some thoughts.

ErikViking

VIP Member
Apr 26, 2006
Stockholm - Sweden
I am prejudiced.

My whole life is based on it. I draw alot of conclusions without knowing things, instead I rely on prejudice. It is quick, it is easy and it saves time. Alot of time. It is acctually about oddment, isn't it?

I am prejudice in traffic. It saves my life. I am prejudice about colored people (Very often they speak the language badly, so they are not my first choice of asking for the right way, for instance)

But I know I am prejudiced. By knowing it I can easy reevaluate and change my initial prejudice. I adapt well I guess. And thinking of it, doesn't everyone work this way? Aren't we all prejudiced?

From now on I am not going to see the prejudice as the wrong thing, but rather people who claim they are not. I'll prejudice them as liers from now on.

ErikViking said:
I am prejudiced.

My whole life is based on it. I draw alot of conclusions without knowing things, instead I rely on prejudice. It is quick, it is easy and it saves time. Alot of time. It is acctually about oddment, isn't it?

I am prejudice in traffic. It saves my life. I am prejudice about colored people (Very often they speak the language badly, so they are not my first choice of asking for the right way, for instance)

But I know I am prejudiced. By knowing it I can easy reevaluate and change my initial prejudice. I adapt well I guess. And thI'inking of it, doesn't everyone work this way? Aren't we all prejudiced?

From now on I am not going to see the prejudice as the wrong thing, but rather people who claim they are not. I'll prejudice them as liers from now on.
I'll join that bandwagon. I know that most illegal immigrants are coming to get a better life. I know that. Still, I know that is true of the Eastern Europeans, Israelis, Middle Easterners too. They do not have the proximity to raise the finger to our borders. So they have to abide by the rules, pity for them.

Our country has lots of problems, the illegals being a significant one, at the same time, it's so wonderful that immigrants from all aspects of the earth, try to come here, only a few are able. Seems wrong that illegals are to be granted carte blanche.

Everyone is prejudiced/discriminatory. It is impossible to not be so unless one concedes to being a bowl of Jell-O. It is impossible to make a decision without discriminating.

Hey GunnyL! Game On! :D
GunnyL said:
Everyone is prejudiced/discriminatory.
It is not necesary to prejudge anything, so I disagree that everyone must be prejudiced. I'll admit that it is difficult to avoid, I'll even admit that prejudjing is not advisable to avoid, and I'm not going to admit that I am sucessful myself or particularly need to be. I can admit to prejudging people--but I'll say this: I am not prejudiced on the basis of skin tone--at all.

There are boatloads of folks who are not discriminatory. To be discriminatory requires the capacity to recognize and act based on the differences between things. Those who don't know their elbow from a hole in the ground are not discriminatory. Pigs are not discriminatory in what they eat.

The important distictions are the basis upon how one judges others, the relevance one places on particular differences, and the validity of prejudging one characteristic based on another.

Cognizant that this thread concerns bigotry, let me assert that it is valid to recognize differenced in skin tone amongst human beings. But it is invalid to make the assertion that skin tone in any way, has any effect on an individual's intelligence, moral bearing, or competence.

Those who assert that skin tone is the place where a man's intellect, moral bearing, or competence is determined are morons. They are morons attempting to assign to themselves the legitimate virtues of others, that they do not posses themselves, based on irrelevent critera. e.g. Einstein had white skin; Einstein was a genius: I have white skin; I am a genius.

The upshot of this bullshit is that in order to maintain the validity of their basis of their unearned possession of these virtues, they must now villify other skin tones (in this case) to deny the corellations evident in the presence of virtues possessed by indiviuals who are superficially different.

GunnyL said:
It is impossible to not be so unless one concedes to being a bowl of Jell-O.
Nonsense.

GunnyL said:
It is impossible to make a decision without discriminating.
Truth.

LOki said:
Hey GunnyL! Game On! :DIt is not necesary to prejudge anything, so I disagree that everyone must be prejudiced.

Really? I bet you prejudge when your physical well being is at stake: "Hmmm, the person is armed and I can see him trying to hide in that dark alley but hey, I don't want to prejudge the guy so I guess I'll go over and say hello!"

I'll admit that it is difficult to avoid, I'll even admit that prejudjing is not advisable to avoid, and I'm not going to admit that I am sucessful myself or particularly need to be. I can admit to prejudging people--but I'll say this: I am not prejudiced on the basis of skin tone--at all.

Fair enough.

There are boatloads of folks who are not discriminatory. To be discriminatory requires the capacity to recognize and act based on the differences between things. Those who don't know their elbow from a hole in the ground are not discriminatory. Pigs are not discriminatory in what they eat.

Those who are not discriminatory do not survive long. Just so ya know, pigs wont eat poison mushrooms. Generalizations are a bitch aint they?

The important distictions are the basis upon how one judges others, the relevance one places on particular differences, and the validity of prejudging one characteristic based on another.

ok.

Cognizant that this thread concerns bigotry, let me assert that it is valid to recognize differenced in skin tone amongst human beings. But it is invalid to make the assertion that skin tone in any way, has any effect on an individual's intelligence, moral bearing, or competence.

Not sure about the bigotry part, but I can agree with the rest.

Those who assert that skin tone is the place where a man's intellect, moral bearing, or competence is determined are morons. They are morons attempting to assign to themselves the legitimate virtues of others, that they do not posses themselves, based on irrelevent critera. e.g. Einstein had white skin; Einstein was a genius: I have white skin; I am a genius.

Not sure they are morons. A lot of it is taught; handed down from generation to generation. Some very smart people are or appear to be racist and bigotted.

The upshot of this bullshit is that in order to maintain the validity of their basis of their unearned possession of these virtues, they must now villify other skin tones (in this case) to deny the corellations evident in the presence of virtues possessed by indiviuals who are superficially different.

Some do, that is true enough. Others just ignore it.

Nonsense.

See my first comment above.

Truth.

Not picking a fight. Merely pointing out that prejudice and discrimination in of themselves are not "bad" traits. They can be when applied to race, etc.

CSM said:
LOki said:
It is not necesary to prejudge anything, so I disagree that everyone must be prejudiced.
Really? I bet you prejudge when your physical well being is at stake: "Hmmm, the person is armed and I can see him trying to hide in that dark alley but hey, I don't want to prejudge the guy so I guess I'll go over and say hello!"
Yes, really. Case in point: I don't prejudge the person, armed and trying to hide in that dark alley, as a mugger. That's not to say I ignore him, and it's not to say that I don't prepare myself for him being a mugger. I just recognized the possibilty that he might just be taking a piss, he might be cop, he might be anybody armed for legitimate purposes, standing in a dark alley for legitimate purposes. So I don't prejudge.

CSM said:
Not sure they are morons. A lot of it is taught; handed down from generation to generation. Some very smart people are or appear to be racist and bigotted.
I'm pretty sure they are morons. Bullshit that is taught is bullshitthat can be untaught. If these morons cannot recognize the illegitimacy of the lessons they have been taught in light of the patent falsensss of the conclusions those lessons arrive at, then they rightfully deserve to be called morons. And I'd say it's more accurate to note that some racists appear to be smart people, rather than some smart people appear to be racist.

CSM said:
Not picking a fight. Merely pointing out that prejudice and discrimination in of themselves are not "bad" traits. They can be when applied to race, etc.
I think we are agreeing. Prejudice and discrimination, in and of themselves, are not necessarily bad, but certain basis for predjudice, and certain applications of discrimination are certainly bad--particularly those that prejudge the quality of a person, and then discriminate on the basis of skin color.

LOki said:
Yes, really. Case in point: I don't prejudge the person, armed and trying to hide in that dark alley, as a mugger. That's not to say I ignore him, and it's not to say that I don't prepare myself for him being a mugger. I just recognized the possibilty that he might just be taking a piss, he might be cop, he might be anybody armed for legitimate purposes, standing in a dark alley for legitimate purposes. So I don't prejudge.

I'm pretty sure they are morons. Bullshit that is taught is bullshitthat can be untaught. If these morons cannot recognize the illegitimacy of the lessons they have been taught in light of the patent falsensss of the conclusions those lessons arrive at, then they rightfully deserve to be called morons. And I'd say it's more accurate to note that some racists appear to be smart people, rather than some smart people appear to be racist.

I think we are agreeing. Prejudice and discrimination, in and of themselves, are not necessarily bad, but certain basis for predjudice, and certain applications of discrimination are certainly bad--particularly those that prejudge the quality of a person, and then discriminate on the basis of skin color.
This agrument ignores the fact that humans can instantly toss off whatever predjudice and discimination that was inaccurate and assume a new attitude to the situation when reality presents itself.

LOki said:

This agrument ignores the fact that humans can instantly toss off whatever predjudice and discimination that was inaccurate and assume a new attitude to the situation when reality presents itself.

Scenario: You're going to be dropped off at midnight in either an all white neigborhood, or an all black neighborhood, that's all the information you're going to get about the neighborhood.

Which do you choose?

LOki said:

LOL...no prejudice there, eh? Just a bit judgemental of morons and racists! At least you have the courage of your convictions. As to the hypothetical mugger...let's just say that you MIGHT be easy prey for some.

Seriously, I think part of the problem is that some folks are awful quick to throw the word 'racist' at someone who disagrees with them. Not that racism does not exist; it does and not just from the Caucasians.

rtwngAvngr said:
Scenario: You're going to be dropped off at midnight in either an all white neigborhood, or an all black neighborhood, that's all the information you're going to get about the neighborhood.

Which do you choose?
Depends what MY intent is. If I am looking for a Duncan Donuts it's one thing. If I am looking for chittlins...that is another.

CSM said:
Depends what MY intent is. If I am looking for a Duncan Donuts it's one thing. If I am looking for chittlins...that is another.

Or watermelon? You're bad.

Loki wrote: It is not necesary to prejudge anything, so I disagree that everyone must be prejudiced. I'll admit that it is difficult to avoid, I'll even admit that prejudjing is not advisable to avoid, and I'm not going to admit that I am sucessful myself or particularly need to be. I can admit to prejudging people--but I'll say this: I am not prejudiced on the basis of skin tone--at all.

I"ve always taken prejudiced to mean, being comfortable around people who are like me. Same social economic background, age, sex and race.

Walking into a room with a group of older people and a group of people my age, I'll walk over to the group my age. I think that's a fairly normal thing for most people to do as a first response to a new situation.

dilloduck said:
It does? How odd.

ErikViking said:
LOki said:
Cognizant that this thread concerns bigotry,...
What does this mean?
It means I recognize that this thread is about prejudice towards people in regards to race, rather than prejudice towards ice-cream in regards to flavors.

CSM said:
LOL...no prejudice there, eh? Just a bit judgemental of morons and racists! At least you have the courage of your convictions. As to the hypothetical mugger...let's just say that you MIGHT be easy prey for some.
That's not the conclusion that the last mugger (white guy) I met (or his knees) came to. ;)

CSM said:
Seriously, I think part of the problem is that some folks are awful quick to throw the word 'racist' at someone who disagrees with them.
Truth. As if being a racist should make your opinion on economics necessarily wrong.

CSM said:
Not that racism does not exist; it does and not just from the Caucasians.
Truth. I've heard the racist arguments of non-whites, and they are no less stupifyingly moronic than those that come from white racists. Proof (to me, at least) that no race holds the monopoly on dumb.

LOki said:
It means I recognize that this thread is about prejudice towards people in regards to race, rather than prejudice towards ice-cream in regards to flavors.
Okay. If a person is aware of his prejudice and if he is willing to reevaluate he would be the opposite of a bigot. A bigot wouldn't accept the concept of the world being complex beyond his knowledge. I know it is, but I don't have the brain to constantly evaluate everything with fresh eyes, hence the simplification of predjudice.

ErikViking said:
Okay. If a person is aware of his prejudice and if he is willing to reevaluate he would be the opposite of a bigot. A bigot wouldn't accept the concept of the world being complex beyond his knowledge. I know it is, but I don't have the brain to constantly evaluate everything with fresh eyes, hence the simplification of predjudice.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ErikViking again.

ErikViking said:
This a rather unflattering admission to make, and one that thoughtful human beings don't make. What you're saying of yourself is, "I'm too stupid, or intellectually lazy, to recognize and evaluate a person's value on the same criteria I recognize and evaluate my own value, so I'll substitue such recognition and evaluation with a preference for skin color."

It's rather indicative of their lack of mental acuity that bigots are so often offended at being labeled stupid, and intellectually lazy, right after they assert so emphatically that they are too stupid, and intellectually lazy, to not be bigots.

You are right about being aware of one's prejudice, and capacity for reevaluation--yet it's still valid to question the intellectual basis for said prejudice, and the moral basis for the appurtenant discrimination that follows. As I stated earlier, prejudice and discrimination, in and of themselves, are not necessarily bad, but certain basis for predjudice, and certain applications of discrimination are certainly bad--particularly those that prejudge the quality of a person, and then discriminate on the basis of skin color.

LOki said:
This a rather unflattering admission to make, and one that thoughtful human beings don't make. What you're saying of yourself is, "I'm too stupid, or intellectually lazy, to recognize and evaluate a person's value on the same criteria I recognize and evaluate my own value, so I'll substitue such recognition and evaluation with a preference for skin color."

It's rather indicative of their lack of mental acuity that bigots are so often offended at being labeled stupid, and intellectually lazy, right after they assert so emphatically that they are too stupid, and intellectually lazy, to not be bigots.

You are right about being aware of one's prejudice, and capacity for reevaluation--yet it's still valid to question the intellectual basis for said prejudice, and the moral basis for the appurtenant discrimination that follows. As I stated earlier, prejudice and discrimination, in and of themselves, are not necessarily bad, but certain basis for predjudice, and certain applications of discrimination are certainly bad--particularly those that prejudge the quality of a person, and then discriminate on the basis of skin color.

Actually, it's just indicative of a person who's not blinded to reality by political correctness.

Forum List

Back