Prayer in public school is okay...if you pray toward Mecca

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by hjmick, Jul 10, 2007.

1. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,122
    Personally, I am opposed to prayer in school, all prayer, all religions. But, if they are going to allow one, they need to allow all.

That being said, I find this troubling:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Angel Heart

Angel Heart Conservative Hippie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    If Christians can't send their kids to school and get a Christian education on the peoples dime, then Muslims shouldn't be able to too.

This is another reason for homeschooling.

3. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    im sorry but i thought the aclu was supposed to prevent crap like this from happening?

4. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Help me out here. Where I live there's no issue about prayer or religion in schools so I'm a bit confused about the problem.

If Muslims are required to pray at certain times and they do so in a break then what's the problem? They're praying, they're not receiving a religious education by the state. It's like getting a recreation break or for those at work who smoke getting a smoking break. I just see it as a reasonable accommodation of religious needs.

Now, I wonder if a Jewish student at a non-Jewish school is permitted to take religious holidays or would that be too much?

I don't suppose Shabbat would be a problem because school would finish before sundown I would think.

5. Angel Heart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341

ACLU... :lol: :lol: Honestly I don't care what they support or don't support. They tend to be slanted in the cases they take.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Muslim kids are being given a 15 minute break. Remember back in school? High school classes are 50 minutes. Middle school 45-50. Lunch-40 minutes or so. This is an additional 15 minutes-for prayer.

If it's math, they miss 75 minutes per week. Now it's time for 'assessment,' they are now 'disadvantaged' to the kids that didn't leave. Is that fair? My guess is that the teacher is either having to give up time for the other students. Not right.

Any kid can say their own prayers whenever they want, as long as they are not disruptive. I can tell you right now, even 1 or 2 students getting out for 15 minutes of class is disruptive.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Jewish kids have always had 'excused' absences for holidays, just like when any student is taken out by parents. I'm sure when Muslim holidays fall, same applies.

8. Angel Heart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    As far as Jews taking Jewish holidays off... Knowing how public schools work, they would be counted as an unexcused absence.

My problem with all of this is that they discourage kids if they wear a Christian tshirt but yet do this. Or what about the kids told they couldn't hold a bible study after school hours or during lunch brake.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Jewish kids get 'excused' absences. Not like being sick. Same with parents that pull them out for cruises and such. The state wants 'sick' day counts.

10. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    I truly believe the aclu has a political agenda, and by their silence on footbaths at kansas city international airport, and community college, i think in the same city. They are being hypocritical, and because of that, might as be considered a terrorist organization against christians.

Atleast be consistent aclu

I support www.stoptheaclu.com