Pray for the Severely Educated

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Or the ā€˜Donā€™t Oppress My People With Your Public Librariesā€™ thread.

From Ms Leung, an academic librarian. She is unhappy that public libraries in the US, a white-majority culture with a white-majority history, tend to have, among other things, lots of books by authors with pale skin. This, weā€™re told, is an ā€œinteresting mini-eureka momentā€ that our Queen of Intersectional Rumination feels compelled to share. When Ms Leung discovers that public libraries in China and South Korea have quite a few books by Chinese and Korean authors, Iā€™m sure sheā€™ll be equally aghast. Every bit as offended.

ā€œOur library collections, because they are written mostly by straight white men, are a physical manifestation of white men ideas taking up all the space in our library stacks. Pause here and think about this.ā€

Ms Leung airs her distaste for ā€œwhite men ideasā€ ā€“ as if they had been uniform across continents and throughout history ā€“ while reminiscing about attending a ā€œwhite AF conferenceā€ two years earlier. I was unsure what the ā€œAFā€ might refer to and searched for some literary or scholarly explanation. It then occurred to me that a ā€œwhite AF conferenceā€ is, to borrow the woke vernacular, a white as fuck conference. Which is how not-at-all-racist academic librarians convey their thoughts, apparently.

ā€œIf you look at any United States libraryā€™s collection, especially those in higher education institutions, most of the collections (books, journals, archival papers, other media, etc.) are written by white dudes writing about white ideas, white things, or ideas, people, and things they stole from POC and then claimed as white propertyā€¦ When most of our collections filled with this so-called ā€œknowledge,ā€ it continues to validate only white voices and perspectives and erases the voices of people of colour.ā€

Then things get a little weirder.

Whiteness as Collections

Ms. Leung has to get a grip.

When most of our collections filled with this so-called ā€œknowledge,ā€ it continues to validate only white voices and perspectives and erases the voices of people of colour.ā€

That statement is ludicrous. That's like all these white men are trying to erase the voices of albinos. Common sense alert: People of different cultures can write about things that cross the color boundary and is applicable to all. And to condemn the white man for writi ng so many books is egregious because the albinos ( or blacks) haven't written many books interesting to a broad audience.

Who the fuck is Sophia Leung?

All I can find is she is some 85 year old, retired Canadian politician who held no posts of great importance.

So posting the random thoughts from blogs of relatively obscure people is worthy of 'Current Events'?

Okaaaaay.

What's next...starting threads about Trump's bowel movements?

Last edited:
Well, now that we are effectively divided by skin color via Identity Politics, we may as well get used to this.

It won't be changing.

Oh come on now.

The OP 'article' appears to be a blog post from a Canadian semi-nobody.

It's hardly relevant to American politics.

From Ms Leung, an academic librarian. She is unhappy that public libraries in the US, a white-majority culture with a white-majority history, tend to have, among other things, lots of books by authors with pale skin. This, weā€™re told, is an ā€œinteresting mini-eureka momentā€ that our Queen of Intersectional Rumination feels compelled to share. When Ms Leung discovers that public libraries in China and South Korea have quite a few books by Chinese and Korean authors, Iā€™m sure sheā€™ll be equally aghast. Every bit as offended.

ā€œOur library collections, because they are written mostly by straight white men, are a physical manifestation of white men ideas taking up all the space in our library stacks. Pause here and think about this.ā€

Ms Leung airs her distaste for ā€œwhite men ideasā€ ā€“ as if they had been uniform across continents and throughout history ā€“ while reminiscing about attending a ā€œwhite AF conferenceā€ two years earlier. I was unsure what the ā€œAFā€ might refer to and searched for some literary or scholarly explanation. It then occurred to me that a ā€œwhite AF conferenceā€ is, to borrow the woke vernacular, a white as fuck conference. Which is how not-at-all-racist academic librarians convey their thoughts, apparently.

ā€œIf you look at any United States libraryā€™s collection, especially those in higher education institutions, most of the collections (books, journals, archival papers, other media, etc.) are written by white dudes writing about white ideas, white things, or ideas, people, and things they stole from POC and then claimed as white propertyā€¦ When most of our collections filled with this so-called ā€œknowledge,ā€ it continues to validate only white voices and perspectives and erases the voices of people of colour.ā€

Whiteness as Collections

What a joke ha, ha. "White dudes" also built not only our modern Western Civilization, they also built all of its ancient precursor foundations. Thus Ms. Leung can fuck right off.

Whiteness as Collections

Assuming via the last name that Ms Leung has some Chinese ancestry, it's kind of ironic for her to lambaste the lack of diverse materials when she's linked via race to the people that brought us the Cultural Revolution, which saw the destruction of priceless Chinese items and knowledge deemed non-revolutionary.

Whiteness as Collections
This issue has been around for fifty years. Discrimination via the "old white men canon." No women, no black folk, no Native Americans, no Asian perspectives. It used to be that the overwhelming perspective we learned through English literature was that of white men, often from many centuries before. That has improved over the years, starting with including female authors. It was feminists who first brought it to our attention.

Last edited:

Whiteness as Collections
This issue has been around for fifty years. Discrimination via the "old white men canon." No women, no black folk, no Native Americans, no Asian perspectives. It used to be that the overwhelming perspective we learned through English literature was that of white men, many centuries before. That has improved over the years, starting with including female authors. It was feminists who first brought it to our attention.
You forgot to mention the Crusades. Never forget to mention the Crusades in rebuttals like that.

Well, now that we are effectively divided by skin color via Identity Politics, we may as well get used to this.

It won't be changing.

Oh come on now.

The OP 'article' appears to be a blog post from a Canadian semi-nobody.

It's hardly relevant to American politics.
Yes, no Democrat ever tries to divide people by skin color.

Whiteness as Collections

Assuming via the last name that Ms Leung has some Chinese ancestry, it's kind of ironic for her to lambaste the lack of diverse materials when she's linked via race to the people that brought us the Cultural Revolution, which saw the destruction of priceless Chinese items and knowledge deemed non-revolutionary.
The destruction of China and the rise of Mao and the resulting slaughter of 80 million Chinese is a feature, not a bug, in her highly educated mind.

Whiteness as Collections
This issue has been around for fifty years. Discrimination via the "old white men canon." No women, no black folk, no Native Americans, no Asian perspectives. It used to be that the overwhelming perspective we learned through English literature was that of white men, many centuries before. That has improved over the years, starting with including female authors. It was feminists who first brought it to our attention.
You forgot to mention the Crusades. Never forget to mention the Crusades in rebuttals like that.
?
It's not a rebuttal, either.

Whiteness as Collections

The destruction of China and the rise of Mao and the resulting slaughter of 80 million Chinese is a feature, not a bug, in her highly educated mind.
You mean when "some people did something"?

Forum List

Back