Praising/Posting Good Grades Against the Law

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A Northfield High School teacher who posted the names and grades of students with the best test scores thought it was a good way to praise his high fliers and motivate the rest.

Turns out it was against the law, according to state officials.

In an advisory opinion, the Minnesota Department of Administration agreed with a parent who complained that posting her son's test results in class for all to see was a violation of state law protecting student data.

The Northfield case illustrates how fine the line can seem between celebrating the work of bright students and violating their privacy. According to experts in education law, it's generally OK for schools to announce who makes the honor roll or graduates with the highest class rank. But revealing a student's grade on a class test in math or history -- without written permission -- is a no-no.

Teacher broke law by posting top test scores | StarTribune.com

Generally ok to report the honor roll? When is it "not ok"?

Open up the floodgates for the trial lawyers....

Hmmmm....

I'm thinking that I side on the not posting test scores (unless they are anonymized)...

but I don't think this should have anything to do with the trial lawyers. It should just be a "don't do it again" punishment.

They didn't get any money. But this presents a problem for every other teacher who does this, and probably has no idea about the law. It has always been the general rule "PRAISE IN PUBLIC: admonish in private". I always announce who gets a 100. Never in a million years would I think this ILLEGAL!!!

It's gotten beyond ridiculous. Soon schools won't be able to recognize the top honor roll students in the paper. Why? BECAUSE SOMEONE MIGHT GET EMBARRASSED FOR BEING SMART!!!! We wouldn't want to do that because dumb is "in".

Generally ok to report the honor roll? When is it "not ok"?

Open up the floodgates for the trial lawyers....

Posting exact numerical data or even a list showing class rank or order is a no-no.

trust me, I had to sit through lawyers or other officials explaining it to me again and again and again when I was a teaching assistant. Privacy laws are pretty strict. As such I never mention students by name with regards to test, homework, or quiz results. Doing so is a fast way to get sued or lose your job.

They didn't get any money. But this presents a problem for every other teacher who does this, and probably has no idea about the law. It has always been the general rule "PRAISE IN PUBLIC: admonish in private". I always announce who gets a 100. Never in a million years would I think this ILLEGAL!!!

It's gotten beyond ridiculous. Soon schools won't be able to recognize the top honor roll students in the paper. Why? BECAUSE SOMEONE MIGHT GET EMBARRASSED FOR BEING SMART!!!! We wouldn't want to do that because dumb is "in".

Schools could have an opt out clause where parents or students could sign it if they don't want to have their name published for honor roll. But I don't think that scores should be announced. I don't think it needs to be a law, but more of a school policy.

Maybe they should not post the stats of athletes either. In fact, maybe they should do away with scoreboards. Or even scoring. :cuckoo:

And xotoxi while I agree with you about having the parents sign off about honor roll, that can become a paperwork nightmare. In NJ, you cannot post a picture of a child for the yearbook, classroom, newspaper, etc without expressed written permission. Instead of asking "Who WON'T let their kids picture be taken?", everyone must consent. And out of 1200 kids, generally there are about two. But that's just of the kids who return the form. I'm waiting for the day for a parent to sue the school over a yearbook photo, because they never returned the form. On purpose. :eusa_whistle:

This is just another Lawyers want more money scam.
I favor handing back tests one at a time to students without announcing anything, but always going from highest to lowest. That way the slackers at the bottom have more time to wonder if they passed or not. Plus the teacher is not breaking any of those stupid rules.

That may come back in vogue Charles. I always ask my students "Do you want to know your grade?" just so they are not embarrassed in front of their peers. Now I guess I better get a contract from their parents. Notarized and witnessed of course.

Would posting bad grades be an invasion of privacy?

I imagine so. But the point is not to humiliate children, but to PRAISE them. Being proud of another's accomplishments is no longer in vogue I guess. Everyone knows in the real world, being smart and doing a good job have no connection to success - in fact being wealthy is actually a bad, bad, thing. :cuckoo:

Would posting bad grades be an invasion of privacy?

I imagine so. But the point is not to humiliate children, but to PRAISE them. Being proud of another's accomplishments is no longer in vogue I guess. Everyone knows in the real world, being smart and doing a good job have no connection to success - in fact being wealthy is actually a bad, bad, thing. :cuckoo:
Considering you are forced into attending school and considering posting some grades in an invasion of privacy I have no problem with this...I don't think it needs to be a law but it certainly can be school policy.

IMO, my school records are no one's business but my own.

Childrens names shouldn't be posted on the internet without the approval of the parents.

Remember when Fox posted that video of children singing a song that included some praise of our president? The parents were outraged their children were so exposed. Especially when the school started recieveing death threats and police had to patrol the school grounds.

Personal infomation about any children should never be published without parental approval. Thought that was a no brainer. Especially with predators and others of that ilk just looking for a few names.

Maybe they should not post the stats of athletes either. In fact, maybe they should do away with scoreboards. Or even scoring. :cuckoo:

And xotoxi while I agree with you about having the parents sign off about honor roll, that can become a paperwork nightmare. In NJ, you cannot post a picture of a child for the yearbook, classroom, newspaper, etc without expressed written permission. Instead of asking "Who WON'T let their kids picture be taken?", everyone must consent. And out of 1200 kids, generally there are about two. But that's just of the kids who return the form. I'm waiting for the day for a parent to sue the school over a yearbook photo, because they never returned the form. On purpose. :eusa_whistle:

How about at the beginning of the year, each kid is given a packet of papers that they have to bring home to their parent. In this packet would be all of the information that a parent should know...school calendars, school policy, etc, etc, including the opt out form.

The child would have to bring this packet home and there would be a piece of paper that the parent(s) would have to sign stating that they had received the packet and read everything. On this form, there would also be an OPT OUT. This form could either be returned with the student, or mailed back to the school in a prepaid postage envelope. If the form was not received, the student would get an incomplete in all of their classes until it was received.

There would never be an excuse for the form not being returned. Essentially, it would be like certified mail. "I received this packet" whether or not they actually read it or understood it.

Great idea, but never in a million years could grades be effected by parents doing the wrong thing. And postage paid envelopes cost a lot of money. And secretaries only have so much time to make sure health forms and lunch forms are returned. Ya know? The important shit. Lol

We stopped mailing report cards a few years ago to save money. I've had students say their parents have never asked for one. Scary.

How about at the beginning of the year, each kid is given a packet of papers that they have to bring home to their parent. In this packet would be all of the information that a parent should know...school calendars, school policy, etc, etc, including the opt out form.
If the form was not received, the student would get an incomplete in all of their classes until it was received.
There would never be an excuse for the form not being returned. .
Parents would howl about their kids getting incomplete grades, even if that was the policy. Getting forms home to parents is tough. Getting them back is harder still.
Even with signed forms parents still try to sue for some of the damnedest things.
There is no easy solution to this short of making schools as immune to suits as the government.

Wow Charles - any chance you want to run for Scretary Of Education? Lol

Every single decision that's made in our school starts would the premise "how could we be sued?" From enforcing discipline to attendance to grades - our hands are tied. The new standard for smoking enforcement and drug dealing is "beyond a reasonable doubt" Suspician by a teacher no longer means squat.

Forum List

Back