Praising/Posting Good Grades Against the Law

Discussion in 'Education' started by chanel, Nov 18, 2009.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Teacher broke law by posting top test scores | StarTribune.com

Generally ok to report the honor roll? When is it "not ok"?

Open up the floodgates for the trial lawyers....

2. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    Hmmmm....

I'm thinking that I side on the not posting test scores (unless they are anonymized)...

but I don't think this should have anything to do with the trial lawyers. It should just be a "don't do it again" punishment.

3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    They didn't get any money. But this presents a problem for every other teacher who does this, and probably has no idea about the law. It has always been the general rule "PRAISE IN PUBLIC: admonish in private". I always announce who gets a 100. Never in a million years would I think this ILLEGAL!!!

It's gotten beyond ridiculous. Soon schools won't be able to recognize the top honor roll students in the paper. Why? BECAUSE SOMEONE MIGHT GET EMBARRASSED FOR BEING SMART!!!! We wouldn't want to do that because dumb is "in".

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Hnoor roll list it ok, but specific test scores is an invasion of privacy rights imho.

5. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Posting exact numerical data or even a list showing class rank or order is a no-no.

trust me, I had to sit through lawyers or other officials explaining it to me again and again and again when I was a teaching assistant. Privacy laws are pretty strict. As such I never mention students by name with regards to test, homework, or quiz results. Doing so is a fast way to get sued or lose your job.

6. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    Schools could have an opt out clause where parents or students could sign it if they don't want to have their name published for honor roll. But I don't think that scores should be announced. I don't think it needs to be a law, but more of a school policy.

7. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Maybe they should not post the stats of athletes either. In fact, maybe they should do away with scoreboards. Or even scoring. :cuckoo:

And xotoxi while I agree with you about having the parents sign off about honor roll, that can become a paperwork nightmare. In NJ, you cannot post a picture of a child for the yearbook, classroom, newspaper, etc without expressed written permission. Instead of asking "Who WON'T let their kids picture be taken?", everyone must consent. And out of 1200 kids, generally there are about two. But that's just of the kids who return the form. I'm waiting for the day for a parent to sue the school over a yearbook photo, because they never returned the form. On purpose. :eusa_whistle:

8. Charles Stucker

Charles Stucker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +225
    This is just another Lawyers want more money scam.
    I favor handing back tests one at a time to students without announcing anything, but always going from highest to lowest. That way the slackers at the bottom have more time to wonder if they passed or not. Plus the teacher is not breaking any of those stupid rules.

9. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,797
    Would posting bad grades be an invasion of privacy?

10. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    That may come back in vogue Charles. I always ask my students "Do you want to know your grade?" just so they are not embarrassed in front of their peers. Now I guess I better get a contract from their parents. Notarized and witnessed of course.