Practicing religion without force

You mean sort like that thing of bursting into flames crossing a threshold of :eek: a different religion?

Amazing. How intolerant is that?

What are you talking about?

I am proud of all of them who did not go and honored their own religions.
This general had no business ordering them to attend a Christian event or punishing them for following their hearts.

Something wrong with attending other religious service's other then your own? Are you promoting intolerance of different religions? What if they were ordered to attend a buddhist event? Or is it just that it was a christian event you are upset about?

I see no problem in someone attending a religious service other than their own if it is voluntary.

I have a problem with a General pulling rank on ordinary soldiers and ordering them to go to a Christian event if they're not Christian.

If the soldiers were ordered to go to a Buddhist event I would have the same objection.

Last edited:
I never said you hated Christians.

I stand corrected. You said I hate Christianity. I don't. I oppose tax breaks to Christians who preach from the pulpit. Christ's teachings are lovely. Before I got into Buddhism I studied the teachings of Murdo MacDonald Bayne who was a Christian minister who studied with Buddhist teachers in Tibet. I still enjoy reading him.

Here is a beautiful example of his writing. It is called I AM THE LIFE

He who lives in Truth is not afraid to proclaim the Truth. He is strong, he is full of
optimism. He looks for the bright side in all things. In the darkest corners he makes the
sun shine. He walks through life with a smile. He sings the song of joy.
His faith is in the Absolute who lives in and through him.

He carries a message of hope and courage and loves all life. He gives help where and when it is needed.
He helps others to help themselves. He is free from fear and worry, always forgiving, always
tolerant. He is devoid of hate, envy and malice. He radiates love to all the world and
minds his own business and expects others to do the same. He goes joyfully through
life, things that drive others to despair and misery leave him in a calm undisturbed state
of mind. His peace comes from within. He is like the ocean which receives all streams
and rivers yet the ocean’s mighty calm is unmoved. Those who contact him feel his
presence and receive encouragement.

He attracts love and friends; not that he desires them, because he does not
depend on people and things, but these things come to him as his right. He
acknowledges the Law and the Law responds. He is at home with all classes of people,
the rich and the poor are all alike to him. He does not favour one more than the other;
he is not interested in what they have. All are equally at home with him. He is welcome
in all homes, and children cling to his hands and coat.

He loves life and life responds. Sinner and saint are the same to him, he sees the
good in the sinner and does not look for a weakness in the saint. He knows that he
himself is not without sin and so he never casts the stone. The outcast recognises him
as a brother. The woman who has passed through the furnace of life trusts him. He
gives of his love and wisdom and points the way to happiness.

He heals the heart and relieves the troubled mind. God never holds His love from
His most disobedient child, neither does He hold that love of God from his brother or
sister. He neither pities nor condemns because he knows all are conquerors if they will
to conquer. He finds joy in his work; he never hurries nor can he be rushed. He knows
that time does not control him: he is attuned to the eternal.

He has absolute faith in the absolute power of which he has become aware. He
knows he is one with all life, and behind him is the power of the universe. He believes in
the all good. Divine justice is his key to all situations. He is simple, loving and kind. He
recognises that to attain wisdom one must be humble and when wisdom is mastered
one must be humbler still. He is the future’s promise of a better world to come.

I wish you luck in your search for peace.

Thank you. I wish you the same. Ciao

I forced my children to go see their grandma yesterday.

I should have my kids taken from me and raised by the state, I suppose....

I also will force them to eat vegetables, though I don't actually put the food in their mouths. I force them by threatening to withhold PS3 privileges.

I love PS3.

OH no! Grandma??!!?? :eek::eek::eek: AND vegetables? You are an unfit mother forcing you children like that. Shame on you!!!!

I also forced them to swim, which they LOVE by the way.

I coerce them with treats to do what i want..even if they REALLY don't want to.

Allowances are not force...but it sure as hell gets their chores done.

I bought the PS3 after a long period of consideration...and my life is SO MUCH BETTER BECAUSE OF IT, lol. Now I say "If you continue to scream at each other I will turn off the Ps3" and all is sweetness and light. My son has thanked me every day since the machine came home, lol. It's so funny.

And they enjoyed visiting their gronny, too.

Got to love that persuasive force. Behavior modification can come without lifting a finger.

Oh and the best way to shut things off is at the breaker panel...they NEVER figure that one out! :lol:

What are you talking about?

I am proud of all of them who did not go and honored their own religions.
This general had no business ordering them to attend a Christian event or punishing them for following their hearts.

Something wrong with attending other religious service's other then your own? Are you promoting intolerance of different religions? What if they were ordered to attend a buddhist event? Or is it just that it was a christian event you are upset about?

I see no problem in someone attending a religious service other than their own if it is voluntary.

I have a problem with a General pulling rank on ordinary soldiers and ordering them to go to a Christian event if they're not Christian.

If the soldiers were ordered to go to a Buddhist event I would have the same objection and this thread would be full of Christian outrage.

Military.....pulling rank is what it is all about. So long as you are in the military...it has nothing to do with what you like or dont like. You are there to do as you are told. Period.

Oh, I see. You're into force, Syrenn, just not religous force.

A rather passive aggressive statement don't you think Sky? Not very buddhist of you.

No, i am into truth. Recognizing and understanding what force is and how it is used, is not being into force.

No, i am into truth. Recognizing and understanding what force is and how it is used, is not being into force.

I was confused because you are so adamantly against any form of coercion of children around religion but seem to have no problem with coercing children in other areas.

If the soldiers were ordered to go to a Buddhist event I would have the same objection and this thread would be full of Christian outrage.

Military.....pulling rank is what it is all about. So long as you are in the military...it has nothing to do with what you like or dont like. You are there to do as you are told. Period.

I have to say, that I have a problem with an officer insisting upon his men attending a religious ceremony and if they refuse confining them to barracks. In this case, it was to a Christian concert. What if it had been to a Wicca gathering or a Satanist animal sacrifice?

I don't particularly have a problem with him encouraging it, but insisting upon it is a different case.

Immie

I was confused because you are so adamantly against any form of coercion of children around religion but seem to have no problem with coercing children in other areas.

You open this tread asking about religion and force..and then specify on children. The parameters were yours not mine. I understand what force is and how it is used.

And if you were confused and require clarification... you ask.

You don't try to turn it around and say that I am into force. I clearly say that ANY indoctrination in ANY from ANY religion is force.

So yes that is a very passive aggressive thing to do... right along with the passive aggressive neg you sent.

New reputation!
Hi, you have received -45 reputation points from Sky Dancer.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
I don\'t approve of you assuming my statement was passive aggressive when it was a question requiring clarification. I thought you wanted to put hostility between us behind you?

Regards,
Sky Dancer

Your return kiss will be along a bit later after is spread it around some.

Last edited:

I have to say, that I have a problem with an officer insisting upon his men attending a religious ceremony and if they refuse confining them to barracks. In this case, it was to a Christian concert. What if it had been to a Wicca gathering or a Satanist animal sacrifice?

I don't particularly have a problem with him encouraging it, but insisting upon it is a different case.

Immie

Military.... you do what you are told. Period. I don't care what it is so long as it is legal.

You open this tread asking about religion and force..and then specify on children. The parameters were yours not mine. I understand what force is and how it is used.

You don't try to turn it around and say that I am into force. I clearly say that ANY indoctrination in ANY from ANY religion is force.

So yes that is a very passive aggressive thing to do... right along with the passive aggressive neg you sent.

New reputation!

Comment:
I don\'t approve of you assuming my statement was passive aggressive when it was a question requiring clarification. I thought you wanted to put hostility between us behind you?

Regards,
Sky Dancer

Neg repping is not passive aggressive. It's a form of free speech.

You're right. I didn't put it very well by saying you are 'into force'. I was confused because you are so adamantly against any form of coercion of children around religion but seem to have no problem with coercing children in other areas.

Immie

Thanks Immie. I feel the same way. I would have no problem with this general encouraging his soldiers to attend the concert, but ordering them to is another story.

New reputation!

Comment:

Regards,
Sky Dancer

Neg repping is not passive aggressive. It's a form of free speech.

You're right. I didn't put it very well by saying you are 'into force'. I was confused because you are so adamantly against any form of coercion of children around religion but seem to have no problem with coercing children in other areas.

I see negs as a passive aggressive hit. Free speech sure, but you could have said what you said in open forum without the neg.

I don't think children should be exposed to ANY religion in any from under any circumstances.. Period. Doing so takes away their choice, as i am sure you will agree.

STOP CALLING ME A LIAR. Back up your allegations of me with direct quotes from my posts before you tell me what I said that's a lie.

Again, accusing me of what you did.

Did you call me a liar? I think you did.

Unfortuately for you, you're wrong, and you remain the liar.

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

I called you a liar because you posted things about me that aren't true. I never said the things you say I said in your post.

Show me one place where you think I have lied. One post Allie. Back up your attack with some data.

Lol..

You lied in the Dahmer thread.

You lied when you said you only neg rep for name calling.

You lied when you said I abused you.

You lie when you say you don't hate.

You lie when you say you want inclusiveness, rather than divisiveness.

I don't even have to find a post to prove any of those, popular consensus bears it out. Besides which, I don't have to prove you lied to you. Unless you have multiple personality disorder (and I would believe you if you said you did, oddly) you know you lied.

I called you a liar because you posted things about me that aren't true. I never said the things you say I said in your post.

Show me one place where you think I have lied. One post Allie. Back up your attack with some data.

Lol..

I don't even have to find a post to prove any of those, popular consensus bears it out. Besides which, I don't have to prove you lied to you. Unless you have multiple personality disorder (and I would believe you if you said you did, oddly) you know you lied.

:eek:

Did i call her a name?

Immie

Military.... you do what you are told. Period. I don't care what it is so long as it is legal.

Um, I think that the reality of that is that you do what you are told unless the orders are illegal and in this case, I believe that one could make the case that those orders were unlawful.

DUty to Disobey

The Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) 809.ART.90 (20), makes it clear that military personnel need to obey the "lawful command of his superior officer," 891.ART.91 (2), the "lawful order of a warrant officer", 892.ART.92 (1) the "lawful general order", 892.ART.92 (2) "lawful order". In each case, military personnel have an obligation and a duty to only obey Lawful orders and indeed have an obligation to disobey Unlawful orders, including orders by the president that do not comply with the UCMJ. The moral and legal obligation is to the U.S. Constitution and not to those who would issue unlawful orders, especially if those orders are in direct violation of the Constitution and the UCMJ.

Edit: I caught after I typed this that you said "as long as it is legal". I think one could make the case that it was not a lawful order.

Immie

Last edited:

Lol..

1. I made a mistake in the Dahmer thread which I acknowledged. That's not a lie.

2. I rep for name calling.

3. I consider you calling me a fucking bitch abusive. Calling me MPD is abusive.

4. I don't hate. I have likes and dislikes like everyone else does.

5. I want inclusiveness, which is the right to express an unpopular opinion and still post.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back