Practicing religion without force

• Banned
I'm thinking about children who are forced to take up their parents religion and those who aren't.

I've watched the kids in our Buddhist community grow up around Buddhist meditation. It's very naturally presented to children, not forced on them. I like that.

I'm thinking of parents who are atheist and who have taken their children around to different churches so they have exposure.

I'm thinking of my own childhood and what was helpful and unhelpful to me as a child.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about children who are forced to take up their parents religion and those who aren't.

I've watched the kids in our Buddhist community grow up around Buddhist meditation. It's very naturally presented to children, not forced on them. I like that.

I'm thinking of parents who are atheist and who have taken their children around to different churches so they have exposure.

I'm thinking of my own childhood and what was helpful and unhelpful to me as a child.

Monkey see monkey do. That is all you need to know.

There are different kinds of force to apply in introduction. The kids in your buddhist community are indoctrinating the children who watch. Just as the atheists when they take them to churches to have exposer.

If you don't want to force religion onto children don't show them anything...don't take them anywhere...don't allow them to participate...don't allow them to watch.

Last edited:
How can you force someone to practice religion? Either they have voluntarily made the decision to follow God, or they haven't. You can't force someone to do that. You can't force people to take care of widow and the fatherless or to keep themselves unspotted from the world.

In fact, it's the very voluntariness of exercising faith that allows the power of God to flow into the lives of the faithful. God won't force his power upon us. It only falls on us through voluntarily exercising faith to keep His commandments.

How can you force someone to practice religion? Either they have voluntarily made the decision to follow God, or they haven't. You can't force someone to do that. You can't force people to take care of widow and the fatherless or to keep themselves unspotted from the world.

In fact, it's the very voluntariness of exercising faith that allows the power of God to flow into the lives of the faithful. God won't force his power upon us. It only falls on us through voluntarily exercising faith to keep His commandments.

Nice in practice....

Nice in practice....

Nothing about what I said is practice. It's reality.

Faith cannot be forced. You can't force the powers of heaven into your life.

There are different kinds of force to apply in introduction. The kids in your buddhist community are indoctrinating the children who watch. Just as the atheists when they take them to churches to have exposer.

If you don't want to force religion onto children don't show them anything...don't take them anywhere...don't allow them to participate...don't allow them to watch.

I went to Catholic school. I was indoctrinated into many concepts that I was not allowed to question. People didn't practice what was preached.

I see my Buddhist friends not teaching their children directly but modeling love, compassion, and equanimity. This is more useful.

I went to Catholic school. I was indoctrinated into many concepts that I was not allowed to question. People didn't practice what was preached.

I see my Buddhist friends not teaching their children directly but modeling love, compassion, and equanimity. This is more useful.

How on earth were you not allowed to question? how could you possibly have become a Buddhist if you didn't question?

How on earth were you not allowed to question? how could you possibly have become a Buddhist if you didn't question?

I question Buddhism all the time. I have endless questions and there are fulfilling answers to my questions in Buddhism.

I wasn't allowed to question Christianity when I was a child. I was told to take everything on faith. For Buddhists, we take nothing on faith. We question, we contemplate, we meditate. Faith comes from the confidence born out of trying out the teachings and seeing their wisdom in actual daily life practice.

Last edited:

It is all still all indoctrination. Whether you accept or reject what you are being shown, coerced, or indoctrinated into, it is still force. Some "force" is more subtle then others. some "force" is more insidious then others.

Teaching in and of itself is force.

Umdat as-Salik wa 'Uddat an-Nasik

Translated by Nuh Hah Mim Keller

F1.4 A Muslim who holds prayer to be obligatory but through lack of concern neglects to perform it until its proper time is over has not committed unbelief (dis: W8.12).

Rather, he is executed, washed, prayed over, and buried in the Muslim’s cemetery (O: as he is one of them. It is recommended, but not obligatory, that he be asked to repent (N: and if he does, he is not executed)).” - Page 109

I question Buddhism all the time. I have endless questions and there are fulfilling answers to my questions in Buddhism.

I wasn't allowed to question Christianity when I was a child. I was told to take everything on faith. For Buddhists, we take nothing on faith. We question, we contemplate, we meditate. Faith comes from the confidence born out of trying out the teachings and seeing their wisdom in actual daily life practice.

Defines Christianity nicely, thanks

Umdat as-Salik wa 'Uddat an-Nasik

Translated by Nuh Hah Mim Keller

F1.4 A Muslim who holds prayer to be obligatory but through lack of concern neglects to perform it until its proper time is over has not committed unbelief (dis: W8.12).

Rather, he is executed, washed, prayed over, and buried in the Muslim’s cemetery (O: as he is one of them. It is recommended, but not obligatory, that he be asked to repent (N: and if he does, he is not executed)).” - Page 109
so is he still washed ,prayed over, and buried in the muslim's cemetery :)

It defines ALL religions and their teachings, not just christianity.

It defines ALL religions and their teachings, not just christianity.

You are welcome

Since God has a Plan as most all of you believe, doesn't it seem funny why he would have old women get raped, or 1000 get killed by a tsunami, or a volcano burns up 1000's or a war gets started and 100,000 get killed by bombs. How does he decide who wins and who loses and why?
Were all those people bad people or do you think it was just a lesson.

Forum List

Back