Power of the ocean powers our future

watchingfromafar

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2017
Below is a cad drawing of my proposed sea engine. Now that I see it, it is clear that the text is to small. I will come back with a legible version.
The basic idea is a conveyor belt moving in a counterclockwise direction stretching down about 600 feet.
in to the ocean.
The drawing shows "V" shaped buckets attached to the cable.
The buckets going down are empty as in full of the surrounding sea water.
When a bucket reaches the bottom it is filled with air. The air creates an upward force on the bucket/cable.
The collective force of the 12 buckets on the right, filled with air creates a unified force of 1,003,200 foot bounds of lifting force that drives the counterclockwise motion of system.

SEAPOWER.jpg

Last edited:
OTS (Ocean Thermal System)s were available in the 1920s. There were and to some extent still are problems getting energy to the shore. OTEC the name of the modern versions still have problems like if the energy of the Gulf is used here in the US Europe might experience an Ice age rather quickly.

OTS (Ocean Thermal System)s were available in the 1920s.

I tried to design an energy system using the supper hot seawater at thermal vents but I got nowhere in my efforts. (although it is still a promissing possibility)

The idea shown above is using the combined lifting force of air to drive generators. The power could be used on site or cabled to shore.
BTW:
But I made some number errors that need correcting

Instead of a lifting force of 1,003,200-foot pounds it should have been 501,600 foot pounds

The voltage output should be 4,213,440 volts

:)-

Last edited:
Water driven power plants have been around for three thousand years or more, evaporative cooling AC in the Old Kingdom of Egypt for example. But only fifteen hundred years of industrial use since the introduction of water wheel driven mills in southern France that I think are still in use.

Below is a cad drawing of my proposed sea engine. Now that I see it, it is clear that the text is to small. I will come back with a legible version.
The basic idea is a conveyor belt moving in a counterclockwise direction stretching down about 600 feet.
in to the ocean.
When a bucket reaches the bottom it is filled with air. The air creates an upward force on the bucket/cable.
The collective force of the 12 buckets on the right, filled with air creates a unified force of 1,003,200 foot bounds of lifting force that drives the counterclockwise motion of system.

View attachment 254073

How do you pump the air down 600 feet?

I'm confused with this design. Couldn't you just have large tubes with a metal screen on the outside covering a long shaft with a series of propellers? The fairly periodic force of incoming waves should be enough to turn the shaft creating power.

Couldn't you just have large tubes with a metal screen on the outside covering a long shaft with a series of propellers?

You have a great idea, but you are talking about wave power, I am not.

The basic idea is a conveyor belt moving in a counterclockwise direction going down about 600 feet into the ocean.

When a bucket reaches the bottom, it is filled with air. The air creates an upward force on the bucket/cable. The idea is to get energy from the rising force of air in water. (seawater)

Instead of a lifting force of 1,003,200-foot pounds it should have been 501,600 foot pounds

The voltage output should be 421,344 volts

The idea shown above is using the combined lifting force of air to drive generators. The power could be used on site or cabled to shore.

Below is an old idea that failed to do what it was supposed to do--
SEAFLUM1-page-001 (5).jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't you just have large tubes with a metal screen on the outside covering a long shaft with a series of propellers?

You have a great idea, but you are talking about wave power, I am not.

The basic idea is a conveyor belt moving in a counterclockwise direction going down about 600 feet into the ocean.

When a bucket reaches the bottom, it is filled with air. The air creates an upward force on the bucket/cable. The idea is to get energy from the rising force of air in water. (seawater)

The voltage output should be 421,344 volts

The idea is to get energy from the rising force of air in water. (seawater)

The idea is silly. You'll spend more energy pumping the air down than you'll get back from the "rising force of air".

The idea is silly. You'll spend more energy pumping the air down than you'll get back from the "rising force of air".

That is exactly what I am trying to figure out, but I refuse to rely on some gut feeling, I would rather crunch the numbers to find the answer.

That is exactly what I am trying to figure out, but I refuse to rely on some gut feeling, I would rather crunch the numbers to find the answer.

but I refuse to rely on some gut feeling

Gut feeling or no free lunch?

The idea is to get energy from the rising force of air in water. (seawater)

Solar, wind and tidal-powered pumps and generators are running on 100% renewable energy already. ( although it's twice as expensive to operate as wind power is they say)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back