Power cable issue!

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
Ok, so my hp laptop suddenly stopped charging when the power cable is attached. I noticed when the low battery warning came on, when it was plugged in. I've unplugged, plugged back, changed outlets...I'm stumped. Any ideas????

• Banned
A digital whatsis? Are you serious???? LOL!

Well it magically righted itself for now. I think a low-tech explanation is likely. Fuzz in the port or something.

It could be anything a'tall...I'm about due for a new puter and I'm braced for the crash I know will come....

Probably the conductors about broken inside the insulating jacket where they go into the plug. A common issue.

A good techie nerd could put a new plug on it for ya for a few bucks.

• Banned
I'd rep you guys but I'm all out....thanks for responding tho.

Ok, so my hp laptop suddenly stopped charging when the power cable is attached. I noticed when the low battery warning came on, when it was plugged in. I've unplugged, plugged back, changed outlets...I'm stumped. Any ideas????

Toss it in the trash and get a Mac Powerbook Pro. Great puter and great fun to work with.

Use a digital multimeter and see if the power supply is putting out the correct voltage.

Ya know most haven't a clue how to use it. Present company included. :lol:
Buy a new charger.

Handy to know things. a new plug for 2.99 or a new powersupply for $35+.
Our disposable society...

the last powersupply I fixed that had circuit problems took a $.89 part.

Last edited:
I've actually been very happy with my little HP! I got it a year ago; I hadn't researched anything. I was at a training and I needed a puter pronto so walked into best buy and came out with this.

I haven't had a single problem with it! Well, my *o* keypad fell off not too long ago, but other than that....this thing sleeps with me, travels with me; it's the only computer I use when I'm not at work. I have text books on it, I do my homework on it and it's been a trooper.

I'd love a mac but I don't have the clams for one.

Use a digital multimeter and see if the power supply is putting out the correct voltage.

Buy a new charger.

Yes well that's a significant savings; however savings aren't much use if you get electrocuted to death poking around.

All my outlets are faulty, I don't mess with them. I have nightmares about what's going on with them when I'm not touching them!

When you are in Portland (If you ever get here on a regular basis) you might check out Free Geek on 10th and Market. They have used macs all the time (The put Linux on them, but that can be replaced) You buy the mac, go to the mac store and get the correct version of OSX and you are golden.

And there is always Craigs list. I have seen some serious bargains there.

Ohh now a bit of electrocution is goo for a person. It rejuvinates you.
Faster than 2 cups of cappichino.

I've been zapped a few times. Which is why I will go to ridiculous lengths to avoid it.

Currently if I touch my fridge and stove at the same time, I get a jolt.

Buy a new charger.

Good then you can replace whatever transistor or resistor that went bad in my 22" Chimie monitor.

Forum List

Back