powell vs hillary in 08!

i would like powell but i don't expect to see him running for prez, i think he got a little burnt by politics and i don't expect him to have a role in the reshuffled administration, so i don't expect to see him at all.

Redz said:
i would like powell but i don't expect to see him running for prez, i think he got a little burnt by politics and i don't expect him to have a role in the reshuffled administration, so i don't expect to see him at all.

Our party asked him twice, and twice he has refused to run. Once before Dole ran, the second time when Bush ran for his first term. Powell unfortunately will not run.

I was thinking a McCain/Giuliani ticket in '08 would be the one to go with.

no1tovote4 said:
I was thinking a McCain/Giuliani ticket in '08 would be the one to go with.
yeah, but both are high profile enough to run for prez and both stand decent chance of winning,but can't see either wanting to be vice.
McCain will be sec defence in reshuffled administration and Rudys gonig to takeover over homeland security.....I'd bet my reputation(-6) on it.

no1tovote4 said:
Frist has some serious issues with ethics to deal with, there is no way that he will run.

I have to admit, I haven't looked to deep into Bill Frist's record. I was just glad to get this election in the rearview mirror, got 4 years to worry about '08. There may very well be some things that would turn me off Frist.

Redz said:
yeah, but both are high profile enough to run for prez and both stand decent chance of winning,but can't see either wanting to be vice.
McCain will be sec defence in reshuffled administration and Rudys gonig to takeover over homeland security.....I'd bet my reputation(-6) on it.

Both Edwards and Kerry ran for President in the Primaries only one won. I could see Giuliani accepting Vice but not McCain. This would be the last year that McCain could do it, he is getting up there in age.

no1tovote4 said:
Both Edwards and Kerry ran for President in the Primaries only one won. I could see Giuliani accepting Vice but not McCain. This would be the last year that McCain could do it, he is getting up there in age.

true, but Rudy strikes me as a bit of a control freak, dunno how that would sit with being vice.
dunno how McCain would sit with the party as well, the party overall has moved more right, so has the nation, but McCain's closer to the centre, likewise Powell

Redz said:
true, but Rudy strikes me as a bit of a control freak, dunno how that would sit with being vice.
dunno how McCain would sit with the party as well, the party overall has moved more right, so has the nation, but McCain's closer to the centre, likewise Powell

That's why I prefer them. I would love Powell to run, too bad we can't convince him.

no1tovote4 said:
That's why I prefer them. I would love Powell to run, too bad we can't convince him.
with you there, the fact that both flirted with the democrats shows how close to the centre they are. I think Powells sidelining in the last bush administration shows how far right bush can be sometimes.
btw as a more centre republician how do you feel about the Neo conservative influence on your party?

Redz said:
with you there, the fact that both flirted with the democrats shows how close to the centre they are. I think Powells sidelining in the last bush administration shows how far right bush can be sometimes.
btw as a more centre republician how do you feel about the Neo conservative influence on your party?

I do not prefer the social agenda of the Republican Party. I am far more Libertarian than the "neo-cons" (incorrect usage of the word btw a neo-con is one who left the Dem Party to become Republican). I did not want to vote for Bush but thought Kerry was even worse. It was a "lesser of two evils" vote.

Redz said:

how do you consider Kerry asking (begging) McCain to run as Veep, McCain flirting with the Democratic party? And when did Powell ever flirt with the democratic party?

no1tovote4 said:
I do not prefer the social agenda of the Republican Party. I am far more Libertarian than the "neo-cons" (incorrect usage of the word btw a neo-con is one who left the Dem Party to become Republican). I did not want to vote for Bush but thought Kerry was even worse. It was a "lesser of two evils" vote.
social agenda is heavily influenced by christian right, the price for their crucial support.
i am also very libertarian and i thought Bush's first term would be that way. But their response to 9/11 has been very big government, eg:patriot act.
when i say Neo Con i mean those influenced by the theorys of Leo Strauss, you are right about the definition, but Cheney and Rumsfeld are self professed followers of his theorys and i bet they were never democrat's

freeandfun1 said:
how do you consider Kerry asking (begging) McCain to run as Veep, McCain flirting with the Democratic party? And when did Powell ever flirt with the democratic party?
good point and i withdraw the term flirting.before Powell sided with the republicans, he was also courted by the democrats.His political views were moderate enough to make him a realistic candidate for the democrats, same with McCain.

Redz said:
good point and i withdraw the term flirting.before Powell sided with the republicans, he was also courted by the democrats.His political views were moderate enough to make him a realistic candidate for the democrats, same with McCain.

you seem to forget something very major. The democratic party, as it stands now, IS NOT moderate. Why don't you point out moderate dems that could run for the GOP? Just because a segment of the GOP consists of the religious right, that does not make the GOP right-wing religious fanatics. Just as the communists that belong to the Democratic Party do not make the Democratic Party a communist party. Perhaps we should get off labels and just pick people that will do a good job - period.

As I pointed out in another thread, the Democrats really have not been at all successful in politics in over 60 years. Clinton did okay, but to get re-elected, he had to move right. Other than him, no other democrat has been re-elected since FDR. That should tell you something.

freeandfun1 said:
Just because a segment of the GOP consists of the religious right, that does not make the GOP right-wing religious fanatics. Just as the communists that belong to the Democratic Party do not make the Democratic Party a communist party. Perhaps we should get off labels and just pick people that will do a good job - period
fair point and i agree best people for the job always

Redz said:
social agenda is heavily influenced by christian right, the price for their crucial support.
i am also very libertarian and i thought Bush's first term would be that way. But their response to 9/11 has been very big government, eg:patriot act.
when i say Neo Con i mean those influenced by the theorys of Leo Strauss, you are right about the definition, but Cheney and Rumsfeld are self professed followers of his theorys and i bet they were never democrat's

Very true. I would doubt they were Democrats as well. It is one of my pet peeves the "Neo-Con" label is misapplied to these guys.

Yes, if Libertarians all showed up to the Republican Caucuses they could control the candidates and have their party within years instead of the long battle started in '71. I wish there were more Ron Paul type candidates around. Oh well, I will just keep fighting for somebody to vote for rather than against. :bangheads

no1tovote4 said:
I will just keep fighting for somebody to vote for rather than against. :bangheads
keep fighting its a good fight
i worry because it seems that not enough republicans know about the Straussian agenda thats hijacked their party
PJ o Rourke for Attorney General!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Redz said:
keep fighting its a good fight
i worry because it seems that not enough republicans know about the Straussian agenda thats hijacked their party
PJ o Rourke for Attorney General!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Redz, where did you get this obsession with Strauss? Are a university student? Did some professor fill your head with this delusion?

What is the myth? The threat from fundamentalist islam is real.

rtwngAvngr said:
Redz, where did you get this obsession with Strauss? Are a university student? Did some professor fill your head with this delusion?

What is the myth? The threat from fundamentalist islam is real.

just from reading about his theorys, i was a student and in many ways i wish i still was. strauss was a professor and he filled his students(pearle,wolfowitz etc..) heads with this stuff.
you know the score, they do advocate using propaganda to get the results they want. and propagandas is all about fear, at least thats what the Nazis said and they were masters at propaganda.
sure the threat to you is real, but its not inconcievable that some might overstate the threat to serve their own agendas.
i really wish you could see that programme "the power of nightmares", then you might understand where my obsession comes from.

Redz said:
just from reading about his theorys, i was a student and in many ways i wish i still was. strauss was a professor and he filled his students(pearle,wolfowitz etc..) heads with this stuff.
you know the score, they do advocate using propaganda to get the results they want. and propagandas is all about fear, at least thats what the Nazis said and they were masters at propaganda.
sure the threat to you is real, but its not inconcievable that some might overstate the threat to serve their own agendas.
i really wish you could see that programme "the power of nightmares", then you might understand where my obsession comes from.

Well it can't be a myth if it's real, can it?

The left in our country uses fear more that the "neocons".

rtwngAvngr said:
Well it can't be a myth if it's real, can it?

The left in our country uses fear more that the "neocons".
all the best myths have an element of reality, they just overstate and distort reality.
its true that the left uses fear, but they have no control over the terror alert status or really any policies at all at the moment.
apart from propaganda, i'm just worried about the policy direction, in particular in the middle east, military intervention there will in my opinion only lead to the myth becoming real and then thats bad for us all, because the logical conclusion is that clash of civilisations madness, and then we are all fucked.
:duh3:

Forum List

Back