Powell casts doubt on Iraq WMDs

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by jones, Jan 24, 2004.

1. jones

jones Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3426703.stm

:clap1:

2. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Perhaps Saddam bluffed, who knows. That was a stupid mistake. Saddam has been removed regardless and the world is now a much better place. He called, we had higher cards, he lost.

3. bamthin

bamthin Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    And 512 Americans (and counting) are dead.

-Bam

4. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    That's what happens in war in case you haven't noticed. Many soldiers have lost their lives in wars past, does that somehow negate what their initiative was?

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    512 Americans are dead and likely thousands of Iraqis, most not innocent, but surely some. Over 200 of those 500+ Americans were from non-combat injuries, ie. car accidents and such. Not that it makes a whit of difference to the families or the nation. However, war is not a good thing, just better than the alternative at certain points in history.

6. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    and hundreds of thousdands of Iraqis

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Gee where do you get 'hundreds of thousands'? Even the Europeans or UN haven't claimed that.

8. 5.10 leader

5.10 leader Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think there are several aspects to the WMD debate, the principal point being to my mind that, if Saddam did not have WMD's or the means of production, then why did he refuse to accept the UN resolutions.

As Jim said earlier, perhaps he was bluffing, who knows.

With the Hutton Report being published this week, maybe more will come to light about WMD's. My understanding is, however, that Dr Kelly was not looking for the weapons per se, but was seeking the paper trail to prove that Saddam had the technical capabilities and willingness to produce them. Admittedly this belies Blair's 45 minute claim but the very fact that Saddam would be willing to produce and use WMD's, and he has already proved his willingness to use biological weapons, is sufficient justification for the action.

Finally, no WMD's have been found to date; accepted. But to use a parallel situation, it is a known fact that the IRA have arms caches in Northern Ireland which the security forces cannot find. With NI being a fraction of the area of Iraq, the fact that nothing has been found so far does not support the argument that there are not any WMD's.

I would ask, though, how a year ago Colin Powell could produce such a convincing argument to the UN, with photographic evidence etc, and now say that maybe he was wrong!!!!

I have the feeling that this debate is going to run and run.

9. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I could be wrong, but I think Johnney was referring to the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi's that were killed under Saddam's rule.

10. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    512 Americans, countless Iraqi civilians...And for what? A lie.