Powell and Rumsfeld gone in 2005?

Merlin1047 said:
Our forces, especially the Army, do need some "transformation". I'm not being critical of training or the quality of personnel. But our equipment and our tactical philosophy is still based largely on the demands of the cold war. The Army needs to update their tactics to intensify urban conflict training. Equipment needs to be more agile and lighter. Units need to be reformed into self-supporting combat groups that are highly mobile and readily deployable. We need to be able to sustain operations from very temporary forward bases and become less reliant on large, static installations. Training and equipment to defeat chemical and biological weapons needs to continue to be improved. Personal ballistic protection is also an area of concern. UAV capability as well as communications still need vast improvement.

But all this is extremely expensive and it's not going to happen overnight or perhaps never should kerry be elected.

Hey Merlin, long time no see. If I am reading you right, you want the Army to become another Marine Corps. Now before you or anyone else jumps up and tries to kick my ass please hear me out. Each item you listed with regard to tactical and operational doctrine is already entrenched within the Corps. Those "very temporary forward bases" are called FARP sites and are the province of Combat Service Support Elements and Marine Wing Support Squadrons. We already train in MOUT tactics as well. My point is that the Army is emphatically not the Marine Corps for a good reason. Light equals fast and cannot sustain itself. We use MPF to offload the rapid deployment force and "hold the line" for up to 90 Days. By then if the US Army has not begun the process of investing that area, we are screwed. Where you discuss interoperability and equipment, I am right there with you. But I really hope the Army gets back to doing Army stuff and the Marines do thier own thing. That is a team that wins ball games. Boy, that was lot of typing. I need a :beer:

pegwinn said:
Hey Merlin, long time no see. If I am reading you right, you want the Army to become another Marine Corps.

Hiya Pegwinn. The ideas I threw out were not mine, they are things being discussed by the Army. Granted the Marine Corps has had such tactics for quite a while. But times and missions change. Where once the Army had to equip themselves to fight a major armor campaign against the Soviets in Europe (Fulda Gap scenario), such a heavy punch is no longer required - at least not to the degree that it once was. Now the emphasis is on getting troops and equipment to a theatre of operations quickly. They can move more Bradleys and Strykers than M1 Abrams on a given conveyance. And while the role of armor will continue to be central, an M1 is a bit of overkill if you're targeting a pack of camel jocks toting AK-47's and riding in a Toyota pickup.

And kindly shut the hell up about the beer willya? I can't have one because I have lab work scheduled for my physical tomorrow morning. ;)

Damn! We've gone and inadvertently hijacked another thread.

Kathianne's gonna get on my ass about this. Think I'll go hide for a while.

Merlin1047 said:

No, I won't ! :beer: LOL

Merlin1047 said:

Nah, we are still *indirectl* on topic by discussing rumsfeld and the army transformation. If he goes it may not take place. Thats our story and we will stick to it :)

Oh yeah, hope everything is ok with the physical. Will hold a :beer: or maybe :beer: :beer: in reserve for you.

freeandfun1 said:
Agreed. The Apache will/can easily replace the value the A10 provides on the battlefield anyway.

I disagree. The Apache is a fine weapon, but it is also far more vulnerable than the A10, and lacks the loitering capability.

If the A10 is removed in favor of more Apache's, our effectiveness on the field of combat will be hurt for it.

Wade.

preemptingyou03 said:
When President Bush is reelected, there is some rumblings that both of these men will walk away from the job. Powell, I could sort of guess. God bless him... he's a good man, but he just doesn't fit in with this administration. This administration has a mindset and Powell simply doesn't accept it. Rumsfeld, however, if he were to leave, that would be a huge setback. Rumsfeld is key to transforming the military.

Ok, to all Bush supporters how there, if Powell and Rumsfeld leave, how would you shake up the cabinet? There is also rumblings that Tom Ridge and Ashcroft will retire.

I'd put Armitage as Sec. of State and Wolfowitz as Sec. of Def. Then, Rudy Giuliani as Sec. of Homeland Security and John McCain in charge of the Justice Dept.

Armitage is a hawk, Wolfowitz is a hawk, and Giuliani and McCain are well respected by both parties.

I'm sure they'll be back. They just need some time off to collect some stock options and fill their coffers.

Wade.

Forum List

Back