POW/MIA Braclet

SFC Ollie

Still Marching
Oct 21, 2009
Extreme East Ohio
This one brought a tear to my eye. 40 years, what can you say to this lady?

"CBS News)

WALNUT CREEK, Calif. - While the war raged in Vietnam, POW/MIA bracelets were all the rage. The metal bracelets, sold by the millions, each bore the name of a soldier who was either still a prisoner in Vietnam, or missing in action.

CBS News correspondent Steve Hartman reports the idea was to wear the bracelet and only take it off your wrist when your Veteran came home.

They were very popular with kids. In 1972, when she was 12-years-old, Kathy Strong got a bracelet in her Christmas stocking.

"I was really excited," Strong said. "I read the paper that came with it. And I just thought. I'm going to keep it on until he comes home."

Strong, now 50, still remembers the name: James Moreland. Moreland was a Green Beret who'd been stationed in Lang Vei."

"She's been wondering almost 4 decades -- but no more. In January, James Moreland's sisters got word that their brother's remains had been found and identified. In May he'll be buried, between his mother and father, in a full military funeral.

Strong said she's "going to remove the bracelet and have it buried with him."

Woman wears POW/MIA bracelet for nearly 40 years - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Those were interesting days.. I recall being dragged out of class once a month to protest the Vietnam War by the school officials...

Those were interesting days.. I recall being dragged out of class once a month to protest the Vietnam War by the school officials...

Yeah?

I think you're fill of shit, Lad.

i remember going door to door selling the bracelets in HS. i still have mine somewhere. he was a LTCMR as i recall and he came back in '73.

i never, ever recall being dragged out of school to protest, but i did have a couple of teachers who i think only became teachers to avoid nam. nice guys, lousy teachers.

I joined the Navy in 1969 and I remember the bracelets very well. Although I never wore one because I have stuff hanging on my body, I know lots of people who did and they were very popular. I think it would have been cool for the people of Wisconsin to have made them to wear when all the dumb assed Democrats left their state to camp out in Illinois.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
i never, ever recall being dragged out of school to protest,

that's because it never happened.

as for the teachers... well, can't really blame them.

i worked for someone who was arrested at the 68 convention and got his draft-deferment pulled by the FBI b/c of his anti-war activism during that time period.

He was very glad he failed the physical. Said being on Whitehall Street was like listening to Alice's Restaurant. :D

I joined the Navy in 1969 and I remember the bracelets very well. Although I never wore one because I have stuff hanging on my body, I know lots of people who did and they were very popular. I think it would have been cool for the people of Wisconsin to have made them to wear when all the dumb assed Democrats left their state to camp out in Illinois.

:clap2:

now that's funny

i worked for someone who was arrested at the 68 convention and got his draft-deferment pulled by the FBI b/c of his anti-war activism during that time period.

He was very glad he failed the physical. Said being on Whitehall Street was like listening to Alice's Restaurant. :D

my lottery number was 13, but then i got busted for littering.
:eusa_whistle:

and they all moved away from you on the group w bench.

and they all moved away from you on the group w bench.

how did you know?

my number actually was 13, but the war ended.

Yeah?

I think you're fill of shit, Lad.

Oh Yeah... I have no reason to lie..

Kiss My Ass...:lol:

An after thought.. Weren't the Democrats/Unions busing in students to protest in Wisconsin. This type of tactic is obviously nothing new..

Last edited:
I forget what my number was. It didn't matter. within a month after HS Graduation I enlisted.

Ah.. the memories

My education was extremely liberal in Whittier, California.. With the exception of the greatest teacher I've ever had.. Mr Powers, my US history teacher, who's brother happened to be the pilot whose U-2 spy plane went down over Russia...

Forum List

Back