Poverty?? Fool Me Once...And Again…

The typical “poor” American experiences no material hardships, receives medical care whenever needed, has an ample diet and wasn’t hungry for even a single day the previous year. According to the US Department of Agriculture, the nutritional quality of the diets of poor children is identical to that of upper middle class kids.

Is that really something to grumble about? If the above is the case, which is unlikely, shouldn't that be cited as a positive?

You know I once said that the goal of conservatives is to make the poor genuinely poor, to take away any help they get from the government, to make the poor feel poor, to restore the pain of poverty to poverty.

This thread proves my point.

"on Sunday"

1 day bro.

Stop being a pretender.

Yea, some people are lazy on the dole. That doesn't mean that most of the unemployed are liking it that way. People who keep that line are disgusting little parrokeets. The human nature inside of their cynical selves is being anecdotally projected unto human beings, en masse. And it's wrong.

If most people you've met in life are lazy pieces of shit who want hand outs, you need a new life. Must be sad.

I have way more faith in human beings, and must have a more-so enriched life it seems. You're obviously jaded because of what you've done for your career - you see the lazy portion of society that came through your office and think that you can apply it to million. You haven't even MET one hundred thousand people. Think about that.

Nearly 3 decdes of recruiting....over 2 decades of running a temporary employment agency.....you would be dismayed at what I have seen, heard and experienced.

FYI....I NEVER referred to them as lazy....EVER.

To the contrary, I seem them as far from lazy and, instead, quite innovative.

I will explain....this is a common response I would get....with variations....but the point is the same...

"you are offering me 15 an hour for a temporary job. I am currently receiving 405 a week unemployment and my brother in law is paying me 10 an hour off the books to bang up sheetrock for his contracting company....so working 40 hours a week, I am getting 800 of which only half is taxable. Why would I take a temporary job that pays me 600 a week of which ALL is taxed?"

And to be honest?

I dont condone it...but I understand it.

Like I said, jaded from anecdotal evidence. Became a cynic because of being a pessimist. Study psychology, study it good. Learn thyself.

Sure.....nice way to end an honest debate.

I am not on here to be right...nor do I gain if I AM right. I am on here to debate using my life's experiences.

I gain nothing by saying things that are not true.

your simple mind is amusing.

Such is why the "middle class" has diminished.

What we used to accurately call the middle class is now deemed as poor.

Believe it or not, as civilization advances, economic standards change. I am not surprised you can't understand that.

Really?

A deep statement...now...back it up.

FYI....all is ALWAYS relative. Your statement can not be backed up.

Think about basic necessities like electricity and running water.

Believe it or not, as civilization advances, economic standards change. I am not surprised you can't understand that.

Really?

like i said...all is relative.

There was a time when running water and electricity were NOT deemed as basic necessities as they did not exist.

The rich did not have them nor did the poor.

As I said...whereas your intitial statement appeared deep on the outside, it is one that can not be backed up. It is a false premise.

Nearly 3 decdes of recruiting....over 2 decades of running a temporary employment agency.....you would be dismayed at what I have seen, heard and experienced.

I will explain....this is a common response I would get....with variations....but the point is the same...

"you are offering me 15 an hour for a temporary job. I am currently receiving 405 a week unemployment and my brother in law is paying me 10 an hour off the books to bang up sheetrock for his contracting company....so working 40 hours a week, I am getting 800 of which only half is taxable. Why would I take a temporary job that pays me 600 a week of which ALL is taxed?"

And to be honest?

Like I said, jaded from anecdotal evidence. Became a cynic because of being a pessimist. Study psychology, study it good. Learn thyself.

Sure.....nice way to end an honest debate.

I am not on here to be right...nor do I gain if I AM right. I am on here to debate using my life's experiences.

I gain nothing by saying things that are not true.

You ARE here to be right, more obsessively than others. No honest debate, just cynical projections posing as analysis' from an honest place.

The two types of people, optimist and pessimist commentary (on humans in general) is true.

The pessimist becomes a jaded cynic, the old man who's blood pressure rises because he thinks that every young blood or poor family are big leeches on his hard work. They are Clint Eastwood, in Grand Torino. They don't want people on their lawn, they've seen it all and know it all.

Except, they're only seeing things one way - and only there to be preachy preachy preachy.

"Welfare mentality is ruining the Country" they say. They've seen some leeches in their time, they have. And oh boy, they despise all that which is the leech. The "dole," the food stamp queens who have seventeen babies.

To people who are optimistic, and have taken a good hard look into the shadows - and even got a little dirty (oh gee), they know that there's a completely other side to the whole story and quite frankly find it dark, mean and insulting - - - - - the people who need to incessantly exploit the worst of it instead of studying, empathizing, and leading by example with their cynical and foolish little mouthes shut because their mouths? Feeding those hungry for division.

Measures were taken to ensure anyone unemployed and actively looking for a job is aware of it. I am retired, yet I STILL received notification as a former recruiter to offer the information to anyone seeking a job....which means ALL recruiters in NYC received it....not to mention alll unemployment reps are aware of it.

Oh, measures. heh. Stop being such a blow hard, dude. Not everyone uses recruiters to look for employment.

You ignored Local TV, local radio, local newspapers and unemployment representatives.

If someone is actively looking for a source of income, it would be impossible to miss it.

So I suggest YOU stop ignoring the reality of the situation.

Curious...if someone is actively seeking employment and, in the meantime ON unemployment.....exactly why would they NOT be interacting with all, if not some of the sources I mentioned?

I am sure that to get many of the clean up jobs you must, have a hazmat cert., and never have a crimminal arrest record to include DWi's.

Really?

There was a time when running water and electricity were NOT deemed as basic necessities as they did not exist.

As I said...whereas your intitial statement appeared deep on the outside, it is one that can not be backed up. It is a false premise.

You just agreed with his statement that Standards change - and even offered a supporting example.

You only disagreed with what you THOUGHT you read, but not what he typed. This is more *anecdotal* evidence that you're just here to fill an o.c.d., that which is "argue and be right."

Oh, measures. heh. Stop being such a blow hard, dude. Not everyone uses recruiters to look for employment.

You ignored Local TV, local radio, local newspapers and unemployment representatives.

If someone is actively looking for a source of income, it would be impossible to miss it.

Curious...if someone is actively seeking employment and, in the meantime ON unemployment.....exactly why would they NOT be interacting with all, if not some of the sources I mentioned?

I am sure that to get many of the clean up jobs you must, have a hazmat cert., and never have a crimminal arrest record to include DWi's.
I can not speak for criminal record or DWI....it was not mentioned in the release but HAZMET certification is not required, nor is a valid drivers license......

Again- simple solution.

Bring back the jobs from overseas and pay working people a fair wage.

Then they won't go to government looking for stuff.

On Sunday, Governor Cuomo of New York announced that the Federal Government had granted 27 million dollars to NY to create 5,000 jobs to help with the cleanup froim Sandy.

36 hours after it was announced on all local TV stations, radio stations and printed in all newspapers, only 800 people had applied for these jobs.

So what were you saying about overseas jobs?

I didn't even have to think of *all* the reasons that this post was so dick, but here's one more -

36 hours? Coming off of a Holiday Weekend where many travel across the Country to be with their loved ones for the one or two times a year that they are?

Yea, 36 hours. Today is Wednesday. It's only 9:56 a.m. ET.

"on Sunday"

1 day bro.

Stop being a pretender.

Yea, some people are lazy on the dole. That doesn't mean that most of the unemployed are liking it that way. People who keep that line are disgusting little parrokeets. The human nature inside of their cynical selves is being anecdotally projected unto human beings, en masse. And it's wrong.

If most people you've met in life are lazy pieces of shit who want hand outs, you need a new life. Must be sad.

I have way more faith in human beings, and must have a more-so enriched life it seems. You're obviously jaded because of what you've done for your career - you see the lazy portion of society that came through your office and think that you can apply it to million. You haven't even MET one hundred thousand people. Think about that.

And to be honest?

All I got for UE was 135 dollars a week. Yrt I was glad to get it. I lost my business, my equipment because I sold it to pay bills. I would love to be offered a good job, but I never was. I also sent out several hundred resumes and tried to get back into my old trade as an industrial electronics tech/electrican. The only response I recieved was too old, out of the trade to long. Yet these same companies would hire people that had no experience cause they were young.

The typical “poor” American experiences no material hardships, receives medical care whenever needed, has an ample diet and wasn’t hungry for even a single day the previous year. According to the US Department of Agriculture, the nutritional quality of the diets of poor children is identical to that of upper middle class kids.

Is that really something to grumble about? If the above is the case, which is unlikely, shouldn't that be cited as a positive?

You know I once said that the goal of conservatives is to make the poor genuinely poor, to take away any help they get from the government, to make the poor feel poor, to restore the pain of poverty to poverty.

This thread proves my point.

you have spun her point in an effort to insult the conservative thinking. It is a waste of time and quite disingenuous...not to mention a bit on the immature side.

The point is, we would be thrilled if the poor were able to acheive a higher standard of living. But to say "they are comforatble, but not comfortable enough so the governemnt needs to make them even MORE comfortable" is a premise we disagreee with as we can not continue to increase their standard of living without going broke as a country.

I can not speak for criminal record or DWI....it was not mentioned in the release but HAZMET certification is not required, nor is a valid drivers license......

Too bad I don't live in the NE. When the tornado wipped out alot of Joplin, Mo there was all kinds of hoops to jump through just to get a job picking up debris.

Again- simple solution.

On Sunday, Governor Cuomo of New York announced that the Federal Government had granted 27 million dollars to NY to create 5,000 jobs to help with the cleanup froim Sandy.

36 hours after it was announced on all local TV stations, radio stations and printed in all newspapers, only 800 people had applied for these jobs.

How many unemployed are aware of the announcement?

If they are unaware they obviously aren't looking for employment.
I wonder if they listed those jobs at the welfare office if it would help.....probably not.

If they are unaware they obviously aren't looking for employment.I wonder if they listed those jobs at the welfare office if it would help.....probably not.

Of course, you only find that obvious because you obviously haven't thought too hard about it.

You just agreed with his statement that Standards change - and even offered a supporting example.

You only disagreed with what you THOUGHT you read, but not what he typed. This is more *anecdotal* evidence that you're just here to fill an o.c.d., that which is "argue and be right."

Yo....

"Standards" is a term that is relative to the time.

Standards is a term that allows a comparison......like apples to apples.

You, nor he, has been able to back up his statement.

As for your continued insults to who I am and what I am....if it makes you feel "big"....go for it.

Again- simple solution.

I didn't even have to think of *all* the reasons that this post was so dick, but here's one more -

36 hours? Coming off of a Holiday Weekend where many travel across the Country to be with their loved ones for the one or two times a year that they are?

So these "poor" people can afford to travel across the country?

If they are unaware they obviously aren't looking for employment.I wonder if they listed those jobs at the welfare office if it would help.....probably not.

Of course, you only find that obvious because you obviously haven't thought too hard about it.

I do know if I was looking for a job I damn sure would have found them.
These people dont want to work,they want a free hand out.

You obviously do not understand the sense of urgency that is supposed to be associated with being unemployed.

And seeing as you are (or were) unemployed for a long period of time, I think you have nicely defined yourself for the rest of us.

LOL...I personally offered you an opportunity to make good honest money...told you what to do and let me know when you are ready....that was what.....5 months ago? Yet I never heard from you.

I am done with this conversation with you. I thought you were a little different. I misjudged another.

Yo....

"Standards" is a term that is relative to the time.

Standards is a term that allows a comparison......like apples to apples.

You, nor he, has been able to back up his statement.

As for your continued insults to who I am and what I am....if it makes you feel "big"....go for it.

Yo....

He said standards change.

He was right. They do. you proved it.

Once, the "standard" was food and shelter.

Once, the "standard" was electricity and running water.

The "standards" change, and you agree but want so badly to disagree, fucking WEIRD.

So these "poor" people can afford to travel across the country?

Do you think that everyone who is unemployed has no savings? No family? No friends?

New Topics

Forum List

Back