Potty Training tips?

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
Currently training my son, and it's hit and miss. He just turned 3, but he's behind in speech so the communication isn't what it should be for his age.

He'll go if you take him and sit through it with him, but he won't come let you know he has to go. Sometimes he'll tell you he has to poop, and then he'll sit there forever without going. After 10 minutes of waiting, you get him off the potty and then right afterwards he goes in his pants.

I know he's close, but it's hard with the communication issue.

Right now I'm working on a reward system. He gets to do his favorite thing, which is turn on a light, if he goes on the potty.

Any ideas?

I am somewhat doing this with my son. From what my sister told me(she just potty trained her son six months ago), with boys you just have to give them time. They will do it, but on their own schedule.
I had one friend who said don't use pull ups, because they know they can just go in them. My mom used cheerios on my brothers, they could aim for them in the toilet or something.
So, I would just give it time. My nephew was three and half when he was finally completely potty trained, and he had good communication skills.

My son now, will ask to go potty, and I usually only take him in if he asks. He never goes though. He did pee all over the regular toilet once trying to go on his own. I am not in a hurry though, I also take him in when I am going "you know", so he gets the jist. :lol:

My son also will stay on longer and try to push, if I give him a old cell phone or something to read. :lol:

Don't sweat it, Paulie. You do more damage by making it a big issue than you do by just letting him decide when it's time. Unless there's something wrong with him, he'll be potty trained by adulthood; and if there's something wrong with him, no amount of interference will fix things.

So just keep a diaper on him, keep a potty available, do what you can to catch it and encourage it and don't worry about the mess until he does.

What will happen is he will come to you one day and hand you his diaper and that will be the end of it.

My youngest boy was the most difficult regarding the potty. I think the whole idea freaked him out. He'd run and hide behind the couch or in a corner to go poop so nobody would notice, lol, rather than use the potty.

Just keep rewarding him, it will be fine.

Kinda messy for a while, though.

I am somewhat doing this with my son. From what my sister told me(she just potty trained her son six months ago), with boys you just have to give them time. They will do it, but on their own schedule.
I had one friend who said don't use pull ups, because they know they can just go in them. My mom used cheerios on my brothers, they could aim for them in the toilet or something.
So, I would just give it time. My nephew was three and half when he was finally completely potty trained, and he had good communication skills.

My son now, will ask to go potty, and I usually only take him in if he asks. He never goes though. He did pee all over the regular toilet once trying to go on his own. I am not in a hurry though, I also take him in when I am going "you know", so he gets the jist. :lol:

Yeah I bring him in and pee with him all the time. Well I pee, he just watches. We just went earlier, and he waited about 5 minutes standing on the stool and finally tinkled a little into the toilet. I figured that was all he had in him because he peed in his diaper during the night while sleeping, so I put his shorts on with no diaper and then 2 minutes later he pees out lake superior :lol:

It's early on in the training, I'm probably just being impatient. I forgot about the cheerio thing, I'll try that.

And cool underwear also helps. That worked with my niece. She wouldn't go, even though she knew how to, in the potty for awhile. They finally bought her some pretty underwear. That is all it took..

Don't sweat it, Paulie. You do more damage by making it a big issue than you do by just letting him decide when it's time. Unless there's something wrong with him, he'll be potty trained by adulthood; and if there's something wrong with him, no amount of interference will fix things.

So just keep a diaper on him, keep a potty available, do what you can to catch it and encourage it and don't worry about the mess until he does.

What will happen is he will come to you one day and hand you his diaper and that will be the end of it.

My youngest boy was the most difficult regarding the potty. I think the whole idea freaked him out. He'd run and hide behind the couch or in a corner to go poop so nobody would notice, lol, rather than use the potty.

I did the same thing. In fact I peed my pants until I was like 5 or something. One of my very few memories of being 3 was hiding behind a chair holding in my poop.

I was tough, so he'll probably be tough too.

I feel like I should keep the diapers off as much as possible though, because I want him to know the uncomfortable feeling of having pee all over you without the diaper to soak it up.

Yeah I bring him in and pee with him all the time. Well I pee, he just watches. We just went earlier, and he waited about 5 minutes standing on the stool and finally tinkled a little into the toilet. I figured that was all he had in him because he peed in his diaper during the night while sleeping, so I put his shorts on with no diaper and then 2 minutes later he pees out lake superior :lol:

It's early on in the training, I'm probably just being impatient. I forgot about the cheerio thing, I'll try that.

Don't get impatient. Didn't you read Freud? :lol:
It is like the whole thing with letting them play with themselves in regards to boys. You don't want them to develop a complex. :D
My son is just in the very beginning stages, it is more of a game for him now. And you know they are really ready when they wake up mostly dry. It means they have control over their bladder. Read a book, Paulie. :D
My son asked to go the other day, we sat there for awhile and he didn't do anything. Ten minutes later he pooped in his diaper. :lol:

I did the same thing. In fact I peed my pants until I was like 5 or something. One of my very few memories of being 3 was hiding behind a chair holding in my poop.

I was tough, so he'll probably be tough too.

I feel like I should keep the diapers off as much as possible though, because I want him to know the uncomfortable feeling of having pee all over you without the diaper to soak it up.
I heard them feeling how uncomfortable it is, works pretty well. ;)

You know how it is, other parents always tell you a million ideas. So lately I have been hearing everything when it comes to potty training.

We did this with our boys:

Set up target practice
We put a flushable item, such as Cheerios or Fruit Loops, in the toilet. (You can also use shaving cream or colored ice cubes.) The game for our son was to aim and shoot. Rewards were based on accuracy and number of downed Cheerios (Fruit Loops added the extra challenge of shooting a particular color). It was fun and challenging, and did wonders for his accuracy

But I like this idea even better:

The colored water trick
We dyed the toilet water with red or blue food coloring; it changes to orange or green and they love knowing that they did this. — Amy, Texas

Parents say: Toilet training tips | BabyCenter

We started my son off with sitting on the potty for both peeing and pooping. It was easier for him to pee like this while learning, rather than having to figure out the whole 'point and shoot' thing.

Don't get impatient. Didn't you read Freud? :lol:
It is like the whole thing with letting them play with themselves in regards to boys. You don't want them to develop a complex. :D
My son is just in the very beginning stages, it is more of a game for him now. And you know they are really ready when they wake up mostly dry. It means they have control over their bladder. Read a book, Paulie. :D
My son asked to go the other day, we sat there for awhile and he didn't do anything. Ten minutes later he pooped in his diaper. :lol:

Freud has been discredited, btw.

We started my son off with sitting on the potty for both peeing and pooping. It was easier for him to pee like this while learning, rather than having to figure out the whole 'point and shoot' thing.

The reason I'm skipping right to standing up is because I don't want him to have to re-learn something.

My son got a musical potty for his daughter and she loved it. It reacts for poop and pee, instead of just pee.

Boys really don't have a problem with peeing everywhere, including the potty...it's the pooping part that gets to them for some reason.

The reason I'm skipping right to standing up is because I don't want him to have to re-learn something.

But if he's sitting he's more likely to poop in there more often.

My kids all sat before they stood, and I didn't have to teach them to stand.

I did have to tell my son he could stand up to pee. That's all it took.

Currently training my son, and it's hit and miss. He just turned 3, but he's behind in speech so the communication isn't what it should be for his age.

He'll go if you take him and sit through it with him, but he won't come let you know he has to go. Sometimes he'll tell you he has to poop, and then he'll sit there forever without going. After 10 minutes of waiting, you get him off the potty and then right afterwards he goes in his pants.

I know he's close, but it's hard with the communication issue.

Right now I'm working on a reward system. He gets to do his favorite thing, which is turn on a light, if he goes on the potty.

Any ideas?

Forum List

Back