Potato pancakes for breakfast

yiostheoy

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2016
Variety for breakfast is the key to enjoyment at that early hour of the day. You are more productive and energetic in the morning if you have had something to eat first.

Potato pancakes are one of my favorite breakfast foods, although Europeans eat this as a side dish for lunch and dinner as well.

To make them I start with a medium sized potato about the size of your fist. Red or yellow or white potatoes work best since you can eat the peelings with it and that is where the nutrients are based. The inner potato is pure starch.

I also choose a small onion smaller than the size of your fist.

Then with a cheese grater I will first grate the onion onto a plate, followed by the potato.

When all is grated I will spoon off the grater to make sure I get all the potato and onion off it. This I will then transfer to a bowl that already contains a beaten egg.

All this I will beat together with a fork, sprinkling one day's supply of salt (about 1/8th teaspoon per person) and a lite dusting of ground black pepper.

Then add several tablespoons of flour or pancake mix, until the mixture is not watery. A thick batter like waffle batter works best.

Once the batter is thick enough, I will spoon it into hot smoking oil in a frying pan and cook it like an ordinary pancake, turning it when it is golden brown on one side, and then turning it over and over until it is cooked in the middle.

This makes delicious breakfast pancakes that taste good with catsup and/or mustard over them.

You get protein (the egg), carbs (the potato), nutrients (the potato skins), vegies (the onion), and fruit (the catsup), and some lipid (the oil) from this compact delicious meal. Together with a glass of milk you get all the food groups.

And that's what I am having right now as today begins anew.

Variety for breakfast is the key to enjoyment at that early hour of the day. You are more productive and energetic in the morning if you have had something to eat first.

Potato pancakes are one of my favorite breakfast foods, although Europeans eat this as a side dish for lunch and dinner as well.

To make them I start with a medium sized potato about the size of your fist. Red or yellow or white potatoes work best since you can eat the peelings with it and that is where the nutrients are based. The inner potato is pure starch.

Then with a cheese grater I will first grate the onion onto a plate, followed by the potato.

When all is grated I will spoon off the grater to make sure I get all the potato and onion off it. This I will then transfer to a bowl that already contains a beaten egg.

All this I will beat together with a fork, sprinkling one day's supply of salt (about 1/8th teaspoon per person) and a lite dusting of ground black pepper.

Then add several tablespoons of flour or pancake mix, until the mixture is not watery. A thick batter like waffle batter works best.

Once the batter is thick enough, I will spoon it into hot smoking oil in a frying pan and cook it like an ordinary pancake, turning it when it is golden brown on one side, and then turning it over and over until it is cooked in the middle.

This makes delicious breakfast pancakes that taste good with catsup and/or mustard over them.

You get protein (the egg), carbs (the potato), nutrients (the potato skins), vegies (the onion), and fruit (the catsup), and some lipid (the oil) from this compact delicious meal. Together with a glass of milk you get all the food groups.

Use sour cream instead of ketchup. Another option is to add berries with the sour cream. Also, pre-cooked sausage slices can be added to the batter when you put it on the grill or in the pan.

sause

It's all good but the milk...
I have never seen milk used. Straight flour is the only way I have seen them made, or made them myself, although I do prefer the sour cream or plain instead of ketchup

Billy drools all over the board and wanders off to make breakfast.

I have never seen milk used. Straight flour is the only way I have seen them made, or made them myself, although I do prefer the sour cream or plain instead of ketchup
me neither...basically potato, egg, flour, s&p...maybe a little cheese thrown in
It has always interested me that not only can the recipes and styles with various spices and added ingredients change from country to country but even regions of the same country.
If not for the added ingredients, you end up with hash browns.

Sounds good. I think I'll try it. I love me some taters. Mashed is my favorite and I always leave the skin on. I grew up with German mom so have had them before but usually from Pfanni boxes.

He was drinking the milk..I have never used anything but flour also..

Matzoh meal works too-----another approach is to DRAIN the grated potato.
with a fine mesh sieve-------dump the grated potato in the sieve---set over a bowl and leave it to drain at least an hour in the fridge------then dump the beaten egg
and matzoh meal or flour and grated onion----in. Let the mixture sit 30 minutes----
then to thence to the frying pan. ---------eat with sour cream and apple sauce OR
with SAURBRATEN Then light up the Menorah. When you drain the grated
potato-----you will end up with a solid residue at the bottom of the bowl----that is
POTATO STARCH------shove it back into the grated potato mixture or use it to
stiffen you shirts (I have never used it as laundry starch----but have heard that
it is the way to go)

I just knocked one out. I used too much salt and it was too greasy. Oily really, I use olive oil for cooking. Pretty good regardless. No onion though and I used whole grain pancake powder. I'll use less salt and white flour next time, and less oil.

New Topics

Forum List

Back