Posting Links

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
The forum rules are quite clean when it comes to posting items. If they are not pure personal comments - like this one - it is required to provide a link to the original source.

Why?

Over the years that I've been posting here and on other forums, I continually encounter responders who totally ignore the source provided. And, when you ask why, they will tell you that they don't link to any source they're not familiar with for fear of .....blah, blah, blah.

Don't they have security addons to their browsers that warn them when a site if unsafe?

I personally never post a link that I haven't been to myself. I have a McAfee Site Advisor along with another that comes with Firefox.

Do they think we are posting links to infect their PCs with viruses?

I wish someone would explain it to me.

One reason for sure is the copyright issue. People that write articles and so forth want their pastes linked to.

One reason for sure is the copyright issue. People that write articles and so forth want their pastes linked to.

I tried to make the point that people often respond to threads or posts without having the faintest idea of what the OP was all about.

I tried to make the point that people often respond to threads or posts without having the faintest idea of what the OP was all about.

Not sure what you are meaning??

I thought you were asking why we have to use a link when we post anything that is not opinion.

Last edited:
Kat you say your new shoes are RED and post a link with the picture of your shoes... I firmly say your shoes are Blue because I didn't for what ever reason did not click on the link you provided...

This is my interpretation of the members ( longknife 's ) question... :dunno:

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
I was not clear in my post. I find it disturbing when people reply to threads/comments without even bothering to refer to the source material.

They jump in with inane comments because they haven't bothered to READ the original.

Hell longknife you have seen this more than once... Member posts link from 17 and half years ago that has no relevancy to the subject at hand and wants you to believe it... If I ask for a link, I ask for a verifiable link... You have been around the Sun enough times to know that is just the way some people's children are...

I've found that most of the links cited in a given op are themselves little more than underinformed opinion anyway. Just your basic political and social smut most of the time. I hardly ever click on a link in an op.

That's actually one of the main reasons I hardly ever start threads. I just can't bring myself to initiate discussion based purely on some other cat's loaded, and in most cases underinformed, political or social narrative.

I've found that most of the links cited in a given op are themselves little more than underinformed opinion anyway. Just your basic political and social smut most of the time. I hardly ever click on a link in an op.

That's actually one of the main reasons I hardly ever start threads. I just can't bring myself to initiate discussion based purely on some other cat's loaded, and in most cases underinformed, political or social narrative.
Where do you get your information from?

You seem highly informed.

Ha. I know you're just trolling me, but I spend a great deal of time reading legislation as it's introduced or drafted. It's really all that is necessary. And that's really the only place my interest lies. In my circles we put out our own stuff anyway, which is far removed from any material you'd get from mainstream news entertainment.

Last edited:
The forum rules are quite clean when it comes to posting items. If they are not pure personal comments - like this one - it is required to provide a link to the original source.

Why?

Over the years that I've been posting here and on other forums, I continually encounter responders who totally ignore the source provided. And, when you ask why, they will tell you that they don't link to any source they're not familiar with for fear of .....blah, blah, blah.

Don't they have security addons to their browsers that warn them when a site if unsafe?

I personally never post a link that I haven't been to myself. I have a McAfee Site Advisor along with another that comes with Firefox.

More and more sites have paywalls. Like WaPo and NYT--even my local paper now.

Why?

More and more sites have paywalls. Like WaPo and NYT--even my local paper now.

And the Wall Street Journal and the Economist as well. WSJ doesn't allow any cites from their articles, which automatically bans their exclusives from being posted here at all, as I understand the rules. Doesn't matter much, as the fake news spam usually drives any real news off the first page pretty quickly anyway.

I was not clear in my post. I find it disturbing when people reply to threads/comments without even bothering to refer to the source material.

They jump in with inane comments because they haven't bothered to READ the original.
The sky is a brilliant blue this morning........

s-l300.jpg

Ha. I know you're just trolling me, but I spend a great deal of time reading legislation as it's introduced or drafted. It's really all that is necessary. And that's really the only place my interest lies. In my circles we put out our own stuff anyway, which is far removed from any material you'd get from mainstream news entertainment.
Not bad.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back