Posted in a Sarcastic Fit, but now I wonder.

Neubarth

At the Ballpark July 30th
Nov 8, 2008
South Pacific
The post below was originally posted in a fit of sarcasm when I simply could not understand the profligate spending of the Bush administration. It seemed like we were trying to spend our way to prosperity. So, I took it as a topic and posted to that effect. Oddly, some time later, I am beginning to wonder if any of this is plausable. Please read with a smile on your face.

Joe's Economics Class 101​

I have never studied economics. No macro and no micro. That is just as good, because the theory is all screwed up in the text books of America's colleges.

Forget everything that you knew about money from back when the Dollar was tied to the Price of Gold. That stuff no longer applies to the American Dollar. Forget about balancing the Federal budget. That is foolishness based upon old school theory about money in circulation and the value of the dollar as opposed to a commodity such as Gold or Oil. Commodity prices should be allowed to fluctuate and their impact can be absorbed by the overall economy.

In Joe's Economics Class 101, you will find that this is a Brave New World.

The spending of money is not related to money in circulation. You have to separate the two. That is the first stumbling block that the American educated mind has trouble understanding. We can spend money that has not been printed. Just spend it. Issue it as increased tax returns, or just drop it into people's bank accounts via direct deposit.

Nearly half of our Federal Debt is unfunded. In the past all we had to do was have the Treasury (Not Congress) print the money to be spent. In reality, the money did not need to be printed.

Now, it is all handled by Electronic Fund Transfers. Your company EFT's your hard earned money to your checking account. You use your credit card to buy stuff you need and the bill is presented to your credit card company for payment. They EFT the funds to the stores account. You pay off your credit card with an EFT from your checking account. Now, was one dollar in circulation impacted? Did one dollar bill touch one person's fingertips?

The answer, of course, is NO! Money in circulation does not relate to money being transferred in this country. The same thing applies to the Federal government books. Remember the government does not need to print money to spend it. Printed money in circulation does not equate in any way to money spent.

I have been telling people about this for years, but none of the College educated junior economists understand. By freeing the American Dollar from any tie in with a commodity such as Gold, we have created an unlimited free money supply for Federal (but not necessarily state) needs. It does not hurt the US to spend money as long as we do not overly fund it with bonds or notes. Bonds or notes are a tie back to the old way of thinking but have now become effective instruments of foreign policy for the US. That and nothing more.

The bonds or notes that we have printed are overseas to deliberately foist the dollar on foolish foreign governments (like China or Japan). We have been very successful in this effort. We have become the greatest foisters in world history. By doing so, we put the requirement to keep the dollar up in value against their currency in THEIR HANDS!

Remember the balance of trade deficit. That is the reason why we sell bond and notes overseas. The idiotic overseas countries have dollars and they want to put them into something "concrete," so the foolish governments buy more highly decorated large sheet paper with their billfold sized green paper. Boy are they dumb! The logical alternative is for them to buy into the business of America and support our industrial might. We are still the leading industrial country in the world, greater than the other three industrial countries combined.

I keep on pointing this out and college educated economists consistently ignore it. When the dollar starts to slip against the Japanese Yen, THE Japanese Central Bank comes in and props up the dollar. It is in their interests to support the dollar, or it hurts their economy.

It is an Amazing system that we have here. School trained economists don't understand it, but I do. IF they don't prop up the dollar as opposed to the Yen, their exports go up in in price and they lose sales in the American Market. Not only that, but the Billions in bonds and notes that they have in their banks is devalued, so they hurt themselves if they do not artificially prop up the dollar.

Call that the Double Whammy effect.

If you want me to teach you more, I will. Check out the funding of our present national debt, and you will find out the truth. I have told people to do this for years, but they are too lazy. Most of the recent Trillions of dollars spent by the Bush administration is presently unfunded. Remember he has nearly doubled the national debt in the past seven years. Have you seen a doubling of the bonds and notes sold by the Federal government?

Wake up America! It is a Brave New World.

Why does gold have value?

What IS value?

Answer those and get back to me, okay?

Lol.
I've often wondered why diamonds are valuable. THey're all over the place. But people die to get them to us.

Chocolate, too.

I think if our economy continues down the toilet, we may be re-evaluating what "value" is more and more.......

It's all what people believe.

There is as much faith involved in economics as in religion, but it is hidden in the back, next to the printer's ink.

Lol.
I've often wondered why diamonds are valuable. THey're all over the place. But people die to get them to us.

Chocolate, too.

I think if our economy continues down the toilet, we may be re-evaluating what "value" is more and more.......

I don't care how bad our economy gets...chocolate will still be valuable....Hand over the chocolate and nobody gets hurt!

There would have to be a worldwide systemic societal disconnect from gold entirely, otherwise it will always be valuable. It has industrial uses, so it isn't entirely numismatic value.

The only thing that would outlast gold's value is water, food, weapons, tools, and trees. There may some others, but those are the most important.

Not everyone is willing to barter barter those essentials for other essentials, and that's where money comes into play (gold). It is a medium of trade. There will always be some form of money in society, no matter what. It is inevitable. May as well be gold. It could literally be anything society deemed valuable through its demand. Gold has always been, and always will be.

It's all what people believe.

There is as much faith involved in economics as in religion, but it is hidden in the back, next to the printer's ink.

Basically when a lot of people want something but only a few can get it, "it" becomes "valuable". Like Cabbage Patch kids back in the mid 1980's....

Basically when a lot of people want something but only a few can get it, "it" becomes "valuable". Like Cabbage Patch kids back in the mid 1980's....

But the thing about Cabbage Patch Kids is that they were not a finite item. They were just a fad. Their value could not last forever. Even if the fad lasted for decades, they would get less valuable over time because they were just paper and ink, and could theoretically be created to infinity. They could never be a viable source of, say, money. It's just like paper currency. If you could literally print it to infinity, then how could it ever have perpetual value? There would come a point where it would not be considered valuable anymore.

Gold on the other hand, is different. It is finite, and has unique natural properties that make it impossible to recreate. There will always be some kind of money in society, until the end of time. Because there are essentials that people need to survive, and people will always have to acquire what they need to survive. There will always be a medium of exchange beyond barter, it is only natural. Gold is the best medium, and always will be.

.. There will always be some kind of money in society, until the end of time. Because there are essentials that people need to survive, and people will always have to acquire what they need to survive. There will always be a medium of exchange beyond barter, it is only natural. Gold is the best medium, and always will be.

According to Chairman Mao who wrote some very insightful commentary, "All power comes from the barrel of a gun."

He was right of course, and as the economy continues to collapse like a big house of cards (i.e. It ain't done yet. It is just gettin' started!), more and more people are going to realize that those with guns are going to set the rules in the immediate area.

The violent crime rate in the Inner Cities is already soaring. In Oakland California it is up nearly 80% over last year. Hungry people will rob and kill to feed their families. Their means of exchange is, of course, the GUN.

Are you ready?

I definitely take that into consideration, but you're assuming that all trade would somehow cease to exist. There will always be people exchanging goods. Some people will have many guns, and will be willing to trade for other items they may not have. Maybe they aren't willing to trade any of their guns, and maybe someone who has the items they need aren't willing to accept guns anyway. Maybe they're only willing to accept, say, bottles of water. But maybe you don't have any water. In cases like that, mere bartering is inefficient. That's where the universal medium, i.e. money, comes into play.

Bartering is great, and can be very positive and productive for society, but it's not 100% efficient in trade, in and of itself. There will always need to be something that is universally accepted by everyone for everything.

Trust me, I understand what you're saying about guns. They are vital for survival in the worst of times, but they're not the be all end all of existence. Unless you planned on using your guns to take everything you need from everyone else by force, you would need something valuable enough to trade in perpetuity. Not everyone will become a savage beast who uses their weapons to steal everything they need. Many people will still consider a civil approach of trading.

I definitely take that into consideration, but you're assuming that all trade would somehow cease to exist. .

No. Trade only ceases to exist when the person across from you decides to take what you have by brute force. Everybody in the neighborhood other than him might be willing traders. You need not worry about them; only him, until you shoot him; which, of course, he deserves.

Of course, if he has a raised gun to your head and you do not have a raised gun in return, he may just decide to dispose of you so that you can not tell others what he has done.

I guess that it might be said that in the coming hard times it will not be wise to open you door without a loaded firearm in your hand. Have one of your sons sitting by an upstairs window with a deer rifle and have the wife back in the kitchen with the shotgun. Just let the bad guys try!

No. Trade only ceases to exist when the person across from you decides to take what you have by brute force. Everybody in the neighborhood other than him might be willing traders. You need not worry about them; only him, until you shoot him; which, of course, he deserves.

Of course, if he has a raised gun to your head and you do not have a raised gun in return, he may just decide to dispose of you so that you can not tell others what he has done.

I guess that it might be said that in the coming hard times it will not be wise to open you door without a loaded firearm in your hand. Have one of your sons sitting by an upstairs window with a deer rifle and have the wife back in the kitchen with the shotgun. Just let the bad guys try!

Things may very well come to that. I'm well prepared. I still don't discount the fact that a medium of trade will always be necessary, and that's where gold comes into play.

Even if the worst possible situation you can imagine comes to fruition, there will still be a correction and things will get better. Are we going to keep using worthless, infinite paper as our medium, or will we be smart enough to go back to something of true value?

Just remember that if you do have to use a firearm to protect your family, make certain that the bad guy bleeds out in your garden. The blood is good for the enrichment of the soil.

Boy, are we off topic.

The real root of wealth is the existence of all physically created items. Hard goods. Services and non-created items have value, but they are not wealth in and of themselves. A non-created item, like property, has a vlaue based on what can be created upon it. Some items like gem diamonds are created by the mining and stone cutting process.

Gold and gem stone diamonds have an inflated value due to fact that they have always been valued. Both are no longer really rare. If deBiers and the Russian government were to release all the gem quality diamonds that they have stored away, the value of diamonds would plummet.

In fact, what truly makes diamonds valuable is industrial diamonds: in order to be an industrial nation, you have to be able to cut metal.

Currency is just a commonly accepted liquid means for transactions. Bartering for hard goods would become ridiculously complex without it.

But in addition to currency we have capital assets and hypothetical currency. That is, amounts of money that only exist electronically.

The value of capital assets is dependant on how much hard goods or services that asset can produce. Services having value equated with the equivalent valued hard goods.

So the real value of all currency and assets in all the world is equal to the value of all hard goods in existence or the potential of an asset to produce hard goods. No wonder China is doing so well!

The funniest thing is that the world has valued gold and diamonds so highly. Gem stome diamonds have no real use except as jewelery. Gold's main use has also been for jewelry. It's primarily women that have cherished these two commodities. Men have only valued them in as so far as they would win the affections of women. So in fact by, setting gold as the standard, we really are setting femine services as the basis of our economy.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

and this ain't a Christmas Greeting!

:lol:

You tell me anything that could replace the value of gold, and could be used as money.

Something that can not be re-created, of course.

I'm open for suggestions.

Forum List

Back