Postal Service asks Congress to allow 120,000 layoffs, remove Union benefits

CaféAuLait;3991066 said:
Postal Service asks Congress to allow 120,000 layoffs, overhaul benefits

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Hundreds of thousands of postal workers could soon lose their jobs, or face drastic changes to their benefits.

According to documents obtained by CNNMoney, the United States Postal Service is appealing to Congress to remove collective bargaining restrictions in order to lay off 120,000 workers. It also wants congressional approval to replace existing government health care and retirement plans.

Postal Service urges Congress to allow layoffs, cut benefits - Aug. 11, 2011

Hey why not increase the BULK MAILING rates, instead?

I wouldn't object to finding less JUNK MAIL in my box, would you?

CaféAuLait;3991066 said:
Postal Service asks Congress to allow 120,000 layoffs, overhaul benefits

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Hundreds of thousands of postal workers could soon lose their jobs, or face drastic changes to their benefits.

According to documents obtained by CNNMoney, the United States Postal Service is appealing to Congress to remove collective bargaining restrictions in order to lay off 120,000 workers. It also wants congressional approval to replace existing government health care and retirement plans.

Postal Service urges Congress to allow layoffs, cut benefits - Aug. 11, 2011

Hey why not increase the BULK MAILING rates, instead?

I wouldn't object to finding less JUNK MAIL in my box, would you?

LESS junk mail would result in needing fewer employees to deliver it.

Wouldn't it be easier and less controversial just to raise the price of a stamp?
According to the Household Diary Summary, UPS receivies about 15% less mail each year. Most of it is advertisements. Raisig the price of stamps, as usual, will only serve to cause a quicker decline in volume. Give it another 10 years and we'll probably see UPS become virtually non-existant. Most people use email, text messaging, and social media to communicate these days. The layoffs seem more reasonable to me.

I'd post a link but I'm still under 15 posts and am not permitted yet.

Allow me to help...

Mail Volume Expected to Continue Decline; U.S. Postal Service Adapting Services

Here's the thing. The Postal service, sometimes deridingly called "Snail Mail" is a buggy whip. The technology has passed it by. I haven't sent a real letter in years. I still pay my bills by mail, but I'm the exception, not the rule. (I'm just old enough where I don't trust on-line bill pay with all the hackers and scammers out there.) I get mail, but it's about 80 junk mail and 20% people I actually want to hear from.

So the question becomes, do we treat the Postal Service as a business or a public service? Either way, it has to become more efficient.

Thus the underlying problem of American life. The good salaries aren't sustainable. You probably could run the Post office effectively with HMO insurance plans and reasonable non-union pay. But the unions will fight that tooth and nail.

I guess we could use this as an example for those that think (see the; They have lost their fucking minds, full stop period thread) that the gov. is capable of managing Jobs as in a gov. entity delivering a simple service that employs workers etc., this is a failure of that model.

The closer the gov. is to an entity the greater they screw it up.
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trust private business to handle my mail.

I guess we could use this as an example for those that think (see the; They have lost their fucking minds, full stop period thread) that the gov. is capable of managing Jobs as in a gov. entity delivering a simple service that employs workers etc., this is a failure of that model.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trust private business to handle my mail.

Yet you are online?
That's fascinating.

Last edited:

Yet you are online?
That's fasciniating.

You fried 'Common Tater'. :clap2:

Wouldn't it be easier and less controversial just to raise the price of a stamp?
According to the Household Diary Summary, UPS receivies about 15% less mail each year. Most of it is advertisements. Raisig the price of stamps, as usual, will only serve to cause a quicker decline in volume. Give it another 10 years and we'll probably see UPS become virtually non-existant. Most people use email, text messaging, and social media to communicate these days. The layoffs seem more reasonable to me.

I'd post a link but I'm still under 15 posts and am not permitted yet.

UPS is not the USPS.

Government should subsidize and maintain the Postal Service. It is a valuable and revered American institution. Get rid of the DEA and the BATF instead. Both are unnecessary and counterproductive. They do more harm than good.

How about privatize USPS, not subsidize?
Hush, don't ruin his fun in creating another government supported monopoly like with US agriculture. Can't wait for the day, the postman delivers money to Congress rather than mail. We can't trust the market to deliver mail on it's own right? Even though the rest of the world does it just fine.

Last edited:
Government should subsidize and maintain the Postal Service. It is a valuable and revered American institution. Get rid of the DEA and the BATF instead. Both are unnecessary and counterproductive. They do more harm than good.

How about privatize USPS, not subsidize?
Hush, don't ruin his fun in creating another government supported monopoly like with US agriculture. Can't wait for the day, the postman delivers money to Congress rather than mail. We can't trust the market to deliver mail on it's own right? Even though the rest of the world does it just fine.
The rest of the world does not do it just fine. The rest of the world has problems with packages not reaching their destinations. In some areas of the world you have to mislable the contents of your package to avoid it being stolen in transit. Such as labeling electronics, books.

With today's technology, there is no real necessity for USPS. Packages can be sent using private shipping companies like Fed EX and UPS. They should save tax payer money and just eliminate USPS. All i get in the mail are bills and junk/ads.

Last edited:
What should happen is that they should spin off the USPS away from the government and make it a private corporation.

If it really costs 1.15 to get a letter to MooseJaw Alaska, then charge 1.15. Don't say, "Well, we'll charge the same .44 it costs to get a letter from Chicago to Springfield."

If a small town wants its own post office, then have it subsidize that post office.

With today's technology, there is no real necessity for USPS. Packages can be sent using private shipping companies like Fed EX and UPS. They should save tax payer money and just eliminate USPS. All i get in the mail are bills and junk/ads.

I use on line bill pay and also use most of the billers greenie option.
I go to the post office about three times a year.
The items I send must have insurance, the return mail receipt (green card) and UPS or Fed Ex (why is FED in their name anyhow?) fail when it comes to using a flat rate box.
That being said, I know of a few post offices that are 'manned' in certain remote locations where the population is under 100.
I also go to the PO when I need something date stamped ASAP. UPS and Fed Ex do not have these options, unless, of course, one goes to a UPS store.

Again, PRIVATIZE USPS!!

*On a personal note, I like my sizzling taters dipped in mayo ;)

What should happen is that they should spin off the USPS away from the government and make it a private corporation.

If it really costs 1.15 to get a letter to MooseJaw Alaska, then charge 1.15. Don't say, "Well, we'll charge the same .44 it costs to get a letter from Chicago to Springfield."

If a small town wants its own post office, then have it subsidize that post office.

Agreed. But I think that MooseJaw is in Maine ;)
The smaller PO's have regular flights in and out that transport mail to a bigger city.

Forum List

Back