Post your top 15 favorite songs!

Dec 3, 2003
Fayetteville
Here are my favorite 15 songs in somewhat of an order:

1) Sexy Sadie- The Beatles, I litterally had that piano in my head for a month!
2) Hurricane- Bob Dylan, IMO best song about race relations in America
3) Paranoid Android- Radiohead, entire album kicks ass, for you Floyd fans
4) Time- Pink Floyd, best when listened to at night
5) Lay Lady Lay- Bob Dylan, so beautiful
6) Hallelujah- Jeff Buckley, describes love perfectly(and losing love)
7) Who Am I?- Lou Reed, can't get enough of it, cool lyrics
8) Sitting- Cat Stevens, another song with great lyrics, even if he's a terrorist
9) I am a Rock- Simon and Garfunkel, typical great song from S&G
10) Sitting on the Dock of the Bay- Otis Redding, relaxing
11) Mad World- Gary Jules, makes more sense if you watch Donnie Darko
12) Midnight Rider- Allman Brothers, greatest southern rock band
13) Piece of my Heart- Janis Joplin, helluva voice
14) Ocean Breathes Salty- Modest Mouse, "Good News" is a great record
15) Otherside- Red Hot Chili Peppers, so melodic and smooth

Is that a "top 15" list in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

You've got 3 of my favorites on there...

3) Paranoid Android- Radiohead, entire album kicks ass, for you Floyd fans
11) Mad World- Gary Jules, makes more sense if you watch Donnie Darko
14) Ocean Breathes Salty- Modest Mouse, "Good News" is a great record

As for mine, most of these are songs I like right now and might not in a month or so, I'm weird like that. The first 3 are permanent, but beyond that they're subject to change...

1) Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road my favorite song of all time
2) Foo Fighters - Everlong in my opinion, the best rock single of the late 90's/early 00's
3) Beach Boys - God Only Knows breaks my heart everytime I hear it, for a few reasons
4) Nirvana - All Apologies one of those that I can probably never fully enjoy ever again because I wore it out when it was first out
5) Bobby Darin - Beyond the Sea don't even know why I like this one so much, it's just so cool and laid-back
6) Modest Mouse - The World at Large kicks off a great album
7) Flaming Lips - Do You Realize possibly my favorite lyrics of all time
8) Bright Eyes - Let's Not Shit Ourselves sounds like a stream of consciousness of my everyday thoughts
9) Dire Straits - Romeo & Juliet I admit this one's kinda lame, but it has a lot of personal connotations with me.
10) Radiohead - True Love Waits I guess this is the closest thing to a real love song on this list.
11) Steve Miller Band - The Joker again, personal reasons
12) Smashing Pumpkins - Drown I know I'm alone on this one, but I think this is their most beautiful song
13) Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism Again, some of the best lyrics ever
14) Postal Service - Such Great Heights everything about this song is perfect
15) Ryan Adams - Wish You Were Here most people don't like his rock songs, but this one's my favorite of his by far.

Dire Straits - Romeo & Juliet I admit this one's kinda lame, but it has a lot of personal connotations with me.

Thats funny. I almost put "Tunnel of Love" on my list, which has a lot of personal connotatoins for me. Dire Straits knew how to write real love songs.

In no particular order, we'll see if I can get to 15 without having to think too much about it...

Smashing Pumpkins - Soma (I think it's their most beautifully melanchollie song out)
DJ Krush - Paradise Bird Theory (Hauntingly calming)
Frou Frou - Let Go (It hits a nerve with me. I can't say anything that is all that earth shattering about the song otherwise)
Arrested Development - Tennessee (Is there a better song to be playing in the summer?)
Common - Song For Assata (feat. Cee-Lo) (The lyrics are political, but the song is beautiful)
Cinematic Orchestra - All Things to All Men (feat. Roots Manuva) (Musically stunning)
Atmosphere - Trying to Find a Balance (Powerful; raw)
Marvin Gaye - Got to Give it Up (One of the best grooves you will ever hear)
George Clinton - Flashlight (The ultimate party song, so rarely played at parties anymore)
Hum - Apollo (Absolutley beautiful)
Aretha Franklin - Rock Steady (The break-beat in the middle of the song is one of the top 3 in history)
Smashing Pumpkins - Drown (I think it's drown Dan, not Down, but maybe I'm wrong; but you're right, so very beautiful)
Cream - White Room (Such a good song)
Jay-Z - Dead Presidents (Nothing but a well constructed east coast hip hop song)
Eric Burdon - Spill the Wine (I really like his voice. I can almost get the contact high through my speakers when I listen to this song)

That was easier than I thought it would be. This should be more along the lines of the first 15 that came to mind. There are so many more.

Frou Frou - Let Go (It hits a nerve with me. I can't say anything that is all that earth shattering about the song otherwise)

That's how I felt about it, the first time I heard it, I was speechless, though I have no idea why.

Smashing Pumpkins - Drown (I think it's drown Dan, not Down, but maybe I'm wrong; but you're right, so very beautiful)

I wrote Drown! Don' be hatin'! :D

Smashing Pumpkins - Soma

Which one is Soma again? Is that the one where he sings "I'm all by myself/As I've always felt"?

Dan said:
That's how I felt about it, the first time I heard it, I was speechless, though I have no idea why.

I wrote Drown! Don' be hatin'! :D

Which one is Soma again? Is that the one where he sings "I'm all by myself/As I've always felt"?

"Etheral" comes to mind for the Frou Frou song.

Sorry about the Drown/Down thing. I must have read it wrong.

Yes, that is Soma.

Luna is the one I always confuse with it, name wise. Luna is also quite beautiful.

"Etheral" comes to mind for the Frou Frou song.

Yeah. Electronic music like that blows my mind, how people can assemble all these different sounds to make this one beautiful song.

Sorry about the Drown/Down thing. I must have read it wrong.

No worries, I was just giving you a hard time.

Yes, that is Soma.

Luna is the one I always confuse with it, name wise. Luna is also quite beautiful.

I really love Siamese Dream, but I have trouble remembering most of the names of the songs on there.

Dan said:
Yeah. Electronic music like that blows my mind, how people can assemble all these different sounds to make this one beautiful song.

No worries, I was just giving you a hard time.

I really love Siamese Dream, but I have trouble remembering most of the names of the songs on there.

I think the pumpkins are actually quite underrated.

Hey, what would be a good Atmosphere album to start out with? I really like that song "trying to find a balance", but I figured I'd get a fan's opinion.

Dan said:
Hey, what would be a good Atmosphere album to start out with? I really like that song "trying to find a balance", but I figured I'd get a fan's opinion.

God Loves Ugly is the best one. It has REALLY good songs on it.

Seven's Travels has Trying to find a balance, and most of it is really good, although parts fall flat.

His latest album, "You Can't Believe How Much Fun We're Having" seems to be pretty solid, but I haven't listened to it enough to get a fully developed opinion on it.

He has some older stuff, but there is more hip-hop filler on the older stuff.

There still are some Gems, but God Loves Ugly is the best of his work.

When I get my comp back up and running, I can hook you up with a couple samples.

Thanks, I'll see if I can get that album on Limewire and let you know what I think. I'll check out K-OS whie I'm at it.

Well, only 15 would be hard, but I'll try :

Pixies - Where is my Mind ? (choice is hard, i like all the songs)(my favourite band of all time)
The Beatles - A Day In The Life (I like also all the songs)
Muse - Sunburn (one of my 4 favourite bands) ( Same thing than for Pixies and the beatles
Tool - Schism (one of my 4 favourite bands) (same thing)
Smashing pumpkins - Zero
Bad Religion - Infected
Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelphia
Rammstein - Bestrafe mich (one of my 4 favourite bands, with Tool Muse and Pixies) (same thing)
AC/DC - Thunderstruck
Nirvana - Lithium
Rage Against The Machine - Bombtrack
The Kinks - (Wish I Could Fly Like A)Superman
The Clash - The Magnificient 7
Led Zeppelin - Starway To Heaven
Pink Floyd - Have A Cigar

But for all these bands, I like several, when it's not all, the songs.

Gordon Lightfoot - Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald
Buddy Guy - Crawling Kingsnake
Buddy Guy/Jimmy Hendrix - Red Door
Merle Haggard (Greatful Dead) - Mamma Tried
Buck Owens - Streets of Bakersfield
Monkeyman - Rollingstones
Tracy Chapman - Revolution (reminds me of my mother)
The Beatles - Blackbird
David Allen Coe - You Never Even Called Me By My Name
Allman Brothers - Statesboro Blues
Johnny Cash - Never Picked Cotton
Audio Slave - Shadow on the Sun
Taj Mahal/Ry Cooder - Conrina, Corina
Ry Cooder - Bourgeois Blues
Ry Cooder - FDR in Trinidad
Buddy Guy/Junioir Wells - 5 Long Years

The ClayTaurus said:
And here I thought it was just a Michigan thing.

Little boy, Gordon Lightfoot is Canadian, that song is on every Canadian's list. That and Alberta Bound, if you're from Alberta, which I am, although Paul Brandt does it better.

Forum List

Back