Post Vote Spin Cycle

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nodoginnafight, Nov 4, 2009.

1. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Pretty funny stuff.

Everything from " a HUGE win for Palin" even though the candidate she was backing lost to "Democrats gain one more seat in their congressional majority" (which may be true but they also lost a governorship that has traditionally been pretty solid.

So here's MY spin:

I think Americans want something different. I think they expressed that in the presidential nominations and election by selecting a newcomer and a guy with a reputation for bucking the party line (up until the last 8 years anyway)

I also think a third party candidate gathered steam in New York because of the desire for something different. This was a seat the GOP held since the 1850s or something and the Republican pulled out a few days before the election.

IMHO if candidates want to do well in 2010 - they will show that they can reject the typical and predictable hyper-partisan, party-line blather that has done such damage to this nation. Doesn't matter if the have a D, a R, an I, or a C, or any other letter of the alphabet behind their name - they are going to have to project the strength to champion their constituency no matter whose feathers they have to ruffle to do it.

Just MHO.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    I said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again. Both sides have some reasons to be concerned by the results.

Virginia and NJ going "R" isn't that surprising if you've paid attention. Virginia always flips against the White House (R under Clinton, D under Bush, now R under Obama). However, Virginia was part of why Obama came in with a landslide in 2008. Anyway you spin it, the Virginia loss isn't good for Democrats.

On the other hand, NY23 is a race the Republicans should have easily won. It was a solidly "R" seat any way you cut it. And yet, thanks to the Teabaggers and Sarah the party imploded there. The loss there finally puts to rest the spin that McCain/Palin's loss in several solidly Red states in 2008 was solely McCain's fault.

3. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Gotta agree with you there. My personal opinion is that Palin is an extremely divisive figure and pershaps she is just "the GOP rift made flesh."

The failure to accept incremental reform .... the insistence that "I want it ALL my way RIGHT NOW" and the increasing defense of violence to achieve that agenda over contrary election results concerns me.

4. Dr.Traveler

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Palin is the GOP's version of Hillary. She motivates the left, and alienates the independents. Democrats can only dream that Sarah will make an appearance in their district or support their opponents.

I agree she's the growing rift in the GOP made flesh. What the GOP decides to do with her will decide their fates for a few election cycles. They can not win the Moderates and Independents when Sarah is in the field, and without those folks, YOU LOSE the election. They can't toss her aside as that will alienate your base.

In the end, the question will be is it more important to cater to your base and forget the independents (i.e. LOSE), or cater to independents and tick off your base.

5. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Spot on - I think THAT is the "Palin problem" in a nutshell.
    I think there is no doubt that she is tapping into a general dissatisfaction with politics-as-usual, and I think if someone else can tap into that without being so divisive, they will be able to rally moderates of all stripes.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  6. Meister

Meister Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,102
    I think candidates really needs to tap in on the top 1 or 2 issues that Americans see as issues, and not what the politicians see as issues. It sure worked in Va.

7. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    I agree to an extent. But imho a leader is someone who has their own vision and inspires people to share that vision - not someone who simply parrots the latest opinion polls.

So I guess someone who could champion real ideas about how to address these most important issues would be my idea of a particularly strong candidate. Don't just gin up fear and prey upon that - but inspire people with real, workable ideas.

8. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,804
    Please explain how the conservatives would of "won" if Dede Scozzafava would had won? She was a liberal. She voted with Obama and the Dems, she even backed the democrat after dropping out!

This was a victory for conservatives, it was a message to the Republican Party that they'd had better stop nominating these shitbag liberals in an attempt to be "moderate", which is just code word for liberal.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Meister

Meister Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,102
    Most important to America is jobs and economy
    Politicians is healthcare

10. Dr.Traveler

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Who said that a Scozzafava victory would be a victory for the Conseravtives? Scozzafava winning would have just meant the GOP held on to a GOP seat.

Instead Sarah got involved and the GOP imploded. Just like in 2008.

That's why the GOP lost in 2008, and why they'll lose in 2012. You do not win without the Moderates and Independents. Go too far to the right or left and you'll alienate the middle. Sarah is all about the Right Wing, and because of that when Sarah gets involved the GOP loses in states and districts that should be easy pick ups.