Post-Kerry update

clumzgirl

Mar 27, 2004
ohio
Kerry has come and gone from Youngstown, and I watched the rally on TV. (There's no way I was going to actually go down there!)

But I'm glad I tuned in. I hate to admit it, but Kerry was pretty persuasive. Either that, or I'm too swayable. Anyway, he talked alot about W granting tax breaks to those who outsource and generally supporting companies that participate in this.

I'm too lazy to look all over the internet to find out, so can someone give me the nutshell version of this issue? Does W really support outsourcing, and how is that possible? It doesn't make sense. If Republicans are generally against NAFTA, how on earth can we get behind sending jobs to Mexico and India?

It seems like it'd be pretty hard to spin an issue like that. So what gives?

Originally posted by clumzgirl
I hate to admit it, but Kerry was pretty persuasive. Either that, or I'm too swayable.

Clever lies and demagoguery can be very persuasive.

Anyway, he talked alot about W granting tax breaks to those who outsource and generally supporting companies that participate in this.

Like Heinz Ketchup? I believe they have 57 factories overseas. He's such a transparent hypocrite.

I'm too lazy to look all over the internet to find out, so can someone give me the nutshell version of this issue? Does W really support outsourcing, and how is that possible?

It's basically a debate between outsourcing or protectionism. Protectionism tends to stifle economic development and industrial innovation, while outsourcing in theory will ship cheap labor jobs over seas and indirectly create better jobs here.

Capitalism, if left to its own devices will always gravitate toward profit. If they can get Indians to answer phone calls for $4 an hour as opposed to an American at over $10 an hour plus some benefits, they are going to send the jobs to India.

Using artificial means to stifle capitalism is self-defeating. If you tax an American company too much for sending jobs to India, the whole company may just decide to move out of the country, if its cheaper. Or prices will just rise for you the consumer.

I am new here. Hi :) I am just starting to "tune in" to the presidential election and I am looking around on the internet for different viewpoints. I have seen Bush on TV speaking and he seems to really beleive what he is saying. I need to see more Kerry speeches though. It seems there is not much coverage of him. This is my first year voting for a president and I am just trying to make an informed decision. (I was just old enough in 2000 but I didn't really care at the time)

Anyway, it's nice to hear that Kerry was impressive in his speaking.Maybe some day, I can see him and judge better. I do think it's noble that he fought for America in Vietnam.

A couple of my freinds wanted me to go march on Washington for pro-choice. I am not really hard core pro-choice, but I heard that Kerry might have been there. Guess I missed my chance.

~M

Originally posted by Michelle
I need to see more Kerry speeches though. It seems there is not much coverage of him.

I think that's actually intentional. Sen. Kerry doesn't seem to inspire much enthusiam in his supporters. Thats why others, like Ted Kennedy, have been displayed by the media more prominently.

Welcome Michelle! One of the best ways to learn about politics is to use this site everyday.

BTW, if you have any questions about John Kerry, ask me. Everyone else that has posted so far is biased against him by their hate of him.

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
Welcome Michelle! One of the best ways to learn about politics is to use this site everyday.

BTW, if you have any questions about John Kerry, ask me. Everyone else that has posted so far is biased against him by their hate of him.

Not hate persee. Just clearcut observations of his constant fli-flopping.

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew

Hate John Kerry? Why would i waste that kinda emotional energy on him? Seriously. I find him quite amusing, not a good amusing though. Us republicans are having a good time with this. we arent being rallied by hate like you Dems are.

This may be a side, but ever notice how Democrats always seem to project their character flaws on their oponents?

Forum List

Back