Post a Song About Your State (Or That Mentions Your State)

Post a song you love about your state, or that mentions your state!

Simon and Garfunkel is always great. I love this line from "America": "Michigan seems like a dream to me now....." Me too, even though I'm still here. Sometimes it seems like a nightmare, as in when it's still snowing....in mid-April. Or on Halloween.

The Boxer is my favorite.

The 70s in general was a golden age for songwriting.

"On the Banks of the Wabash, Far Away" was among the best-selling songs of the 19th century, earning over $100,000 from sheet-music revenues. Written and composed by American songwriter Paul Dresser, it was published by the Tin Pan Alley firm of Howley, Haviland and Company in October 1897. The lyrics of the ballad reminisce about life near Dresser's childhood home by the Wabash River in Indiana, United States. The song remained popular for decades, and the Indiana General Assembly adopted it as
On the Banks of the Wabash, Far Away - Wikipedia

:crybaby:

Post a song you love about your state, or that mentions your state!

Simon and Garfunkel is always great. I love this line from "America": "Michigan seems like a dream to me now....." Me too, even though I'm still here. Sometimes it seems like a nightmare, as in when it's still snowing....in mid-April. Or on Halloween.

How about a group that wrote a song about a summer afternoon in the city that bears (no pun intended) their name? Illinois.

Probably one of my fave Chicago songs....iconic.

I figured the music teacher would like the brass section.

That is just so American! :113:

Excellent!

Yup. Nothin more American than drunk undergrads!

Especially in northern states. Once you get far enough north in MI where there's no air conditioning, there's a brewery on every corner. What the heck else you gonna do from Oct-April???

Plow snow and open an inn/bar for snowmobilers. If you are an enterprising/strong young young man shovel snow off roofs.

Last edited:
I first heard this version a few months ago. It's about Brisbane (Pronounced Bris-bin) about seventy miles away. It's the State's Capital. Moreton Bay was the original Brisbane where the worst of the worst convicts were sent. It was popular in the folk scene in Brisbane when I was at Uni.

Whoops: found a more authentic version. (Bob Denver sang this when touring as well).

=

Greg

Oh shoot! It says video unavailable

Bother: the bloke's an Irish tenor while the convict was Irish.

Here's John Denver's version.

Greg

Ahh, Bob Denver is Gilligan. :rolleyes:

I first heard this version a few months ago. It's about Brisbane (Pronounced Bris-bin) about seventy miles away. It's the State's Capital. Moreton Bay was the original Brisbane where the worst of the worst convicts were sent. It was popular in the folk scene in Brisbane when I was at Uni.

Whoops: found a more authentic version. (Bob Denver sang this when touring as well).

=

Greg

Oh shoot! It says video unavailable

Bother: the bloke's an Irish tenor while the convict was Irish.

Here's John Denver's version.

Greg

Ahh, Bob Denver is Gilligan. :rolleyes:

Not my first choice but hey; he did a good job of a classic Oz Folk song.

Greg

Forum List

Back