Possibly something good will come from Dems in power...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
Sure its out of spite but at least it would save $7 billion from being spent on a damn fence that doesnt even address the real problem. Im sure they will find ways to waste it elsewhere but one can hope can't we.

http://www.upi.com/SecurityTerrorism/view.php?StoryID=20061110-015323-5259r

Dem Congress may scrap border fence
By SHAUN WATERMAN
UPI Homeland and National Security Editor
WASHINGTON, Nov. 13 (UPI) -- The incoming U.S. Congress will review the law mandating 700 miles of fence along the U.S.-Mexico border, and may seek to scrap the plan altogether.

Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., told reporters this week that he expected to "re-visit" the issue when he becomes chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee in the 110th Congress, which has a Democratic Party majority.

He said that the high technology Secure Border Initiative, or SBI Net -- essentially a set of monitors, cameras and other integrated surveillance systems to monitor the border -- was a viable alternative.

"We might do away with it, or look at (integrating it into) SBI Net," he said, "A virtual fence rather than a real one."

The Secure Fence Act, one of the laws passed by the GOP-controlled Congress in a pre-election flurry of border security legislation, mandates 700 miles of fencing in five sections, and defines where on the 1,951-mile southern border they should go.

As a result, some administration officials view it as an example of congressional micro-management, and might welcome changes that gave them more flexibility.

Department of Homeland Security Spokesman Russ Knocke told United Press International that in remote border areas, "virtual fencing ... is more advantageous," whereas "traditional fencing has a core role in our border security strategy ... especially in urban areas."

"We're optimistic that working with Congress we'll get the flexibility to integrate traditional fencing into a seamless, high-tech border security system," Knocke said.

Stop giving hand-outs and allow border patrol to actually prosecute drug runners, and the illegals will have less reasons to WANT to come in. A fence does no good if you don't stop people from climbing it. Surveillance cameras do no good if all we do is watch people come in.

And I agree with the sentiments that the border fence will not solve the illegal immigration problem. We need to start with massive fining of the businesses that hire them. A $250,000 fine per illegal would cause businesses to stop hiring, and if you take away the demand, the supply will loosen.

If only our politicians had backbone...

Or the money we will save when withdraw from the War on Poverty or the War on Drugs or the War on Education. Those wars make Iraq seem like a piggy bank by comparison.

Not even close... Iraq is what's screwing up the national debt and giving China ridiculous amounts of power over us.

But better to use money to kill people than help someone, eh? Besides, it's the puritans who like the war on drugs. As for educating people... yeah... keep 'em ignorant and only let 'em read one book, huh?

And let's not forget about the "bridge to nowhere" and all the rest of the perks you guys gave yourselves.

Not even close... Iraq is what's screwing up the national debt and giving China ridiculous amounts of power over us.

But better to use money to kill people than help someone, eh? Besides, it's the puritans who like the war on drugs. As for educating people... yeah... keep 'em ignorant and only let 'em read one book, huh?

And let's not forget about the "bridge to nowhere" and all the rest of the perks you guys gave yourselves.

Us guys? You think the bridge to nowhere was the first Pork barrel project ever created in Congress. Try Social Security. Its a government wet dream to be able to get people to pay 6.5% of their money now and get a less than 1% return on investment later.

Lets see.

War on Poverty has cost us close to $9 TRILLION as of 2000.
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Welfare/Test080101.cfm

War on Drugs has cost us close to $300 Billion

Iraq War has cost $150 Billion.

When are we going to pull out of those other wars first?

War on Drugs has cost us close to $300 Billion

Iraq War has cost $150 Billion.

When are we going to pull out of those other wars first?

Actually, the War On Drugs estimated costs are nearly 100 Billion a *year*. This is including the costs of incarceration (with the highest prison population in the world, of which a very large percentage is due to drug possession).

I personally think the War On Some Drugs is the biggest misuse of public funds, and the hugest public policy failure of the last several decades.

CL

I think the only good thing that can come from Democrats in power is the country will be reminded just how corrupt and idiotic democratic policies are, especially in the post 9/11 world. Lets just hope the Dems show enough of their true selves before the next election.

I think the only good thing that can come from Democrats in power is the country will be reminded just how corrupt and idiotic democratic policies are, especially in the post 9/11 world. Lets just hope the Dems show enough of their true selves before the next election.

And let's hope next election the repubs will give us some candidates that don't look like dems with nose jobs.

Actually, the War On Drugs estimated costs are nearly 100 Billion a *year*. This is including the costs of incarceration (with the highest prison population in the world, of which a very large percentage is due to drug possession).

I personally think the War On Some Drugs is the biggest misuse of public funds, and the hugest public policy failure of the last several decades.

CL

We agree...

Would you prefer communist policies?:bat:

By democratic I was speaking of the party. Communist is exactly the opposite of what I want, the main reason I am 100% against the "Democratic" Party. Communists like to call themselves "democratic" or a "republic" all the time.

Forum List

Back