Possible significant advance in hydrogen fueled vehicles

westwall

WHEN GUNS ARE BANNED ONLY THE RICH WILL HAVE GUNS
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2010
Nevada
And any other hydrogen powered machine for that matter. Hydrogen is the way to go IMO and these guys may have cracked the biggest problem which is the cost to separate it from water.

The use of hydrogen (H2) as a fuel offers enhanced energy conversion efficiency and tremendous potential to decrease greenhouse gas emissions, but producing it in a distributed, carbon-neutral, low-cost manner requires new technologies. Herein we demonstrate the complete conversion of glucose and xylose from plant biomass to H2 and CO2 based on an in vitro synthetic enzymatic pathway. Glucose and xylose were simultaneously converted to H2 with a yield of two H2 per carbon, the maximum possible yield. Parameters of a nonlinear kinetic model were fitted with experimental data using a genetic algorithm, and a global sensitivity analysis was used to identify the enzymes that have the greatest impact on reaction rate and yield. After optimizing enzyme loadings using this model, volumetric H2 productivity was increased 3-fold to 32 mmol H2⋅L−1⋅h−1. The productivity was further enhanced to 54 mmol H2⋅L−1⋅h−1 by increasing reaction temperature, substrate, and enzyme concentrations—an increase of 67-fold compared with the initial studies using this method. The production of hydrogen from locally produced biomass is a promising means to achieve global green energy production.

High-yield hydrogen production from biomass by in vitro metabolic engineering Mixed sugars coutilization and kinetic modeling

hindenburg-wide.jpg

Know what else was hydrogen-powered? :)

hindenburg-wide.jpg

They used Helium, Germany had a Hydrogen shortage because of the war.

Other way around. Germany had virtually no helium so were forced to use hydrogen. That's why the Hindenburg burned so merrily. To Delta, yeah? So what? Anything that burns can go boom.

Venezuela-refinery-fire-spreads.jpg

upload_2015-4-8_11-5-27.jpeg
upload_2015-4-8_11-5-27.jpeg

fire-damaged-solar-panel.jpg

upload_2015-4-8_11-6-59.jpeg

hindenburg-wide.jpg

They used Helium, Germany had a Hydrogen shortage because of the war.
My mistake. My father in law designed a sea based wind turbine that removed hydrogen from salt water. Flew to New York to show it to the Chinese.

Other way around. Germany had virtually no helium so were forced to use hydrogen. That's why the Hindenburg burned so merrily. To Delta, yeah? So what? Anything that burns can go boom.

Venezuela-refinery-fire-spreads.jpg

View attachment 39313View attachment 39313

fire-damaged-solar-panel.jpg

View attachment 39314

Actually, according to the recent studies, it was the hypergo paint the Germans used that created that tragedy. Of course, once the paint started burning, the hydrogen went. Hydrogen burns clean, no smoke. The beginning of the fire there was a lot of smoke.

Still don't see hydrogen competing with the increase in capacity in batteries. Especially with the rate of power the batteries can deliver. Pushing a big luxury sedan from 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds takes a high rate of power.

Actually, according to the recent studies, it was the hypergo paint the Germans used that created that tragedy. Of course, once the paint started burning, the hydrogen went. Hydrogen burns clean, no smoke. The beginning of the fire there was a lot of smoke.

Still don't see hydrogen competing with the increase in capacity in batteries. Especially with the rate of power the batteries can deliver. Pushing a big luxury sedan from 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds takes a high rate of power.

I do. I see hydrogen absolutely burying EV's. Best of all though would be fuel cell technology. That in my minds eye is the true advance. Hydrogen is still relying on the internal combustion engine to get it in motion. Fuel cells will be a world changer.

The biggest problem is scalability of production and storage. Hydrogen has way more energy than anything else but putting together the distribution chain is going to be a bear. Also it is competing with a very long list of alternatives in regards to opportunity costs and coolness factor. I may change my portfolio choices as a result of this news but probably not to hydrogen.

Forum List

Back