Possible Good news for Captive Marine...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...iraq_us_hostage_marine_040705185358&printer=1

US marine purportedly released by militants in Iraq: Jazeera

Mon Jul 5, 2:53 PM ET Add Mideast - AFP to My Yahoo!

BAGHDAD (AFP) - A US marine held hostage in Iraq (news - web sites) was released, according to a statement purportedly from an Islamic militant group received by the Arab television channel Al-Jazeera.

The statement attributed to the Islamic Retaliation Movement, which had previously threatened to behead Corporal Wassef Ali Hassoun, said the Lebanese-born marine was "returned to his safe base."

The US marines said they had no news of Hassoun's release and were still listing him as captured.

"We're not going to comment on what al-Jazeera is saying," said Lieutenant Corporal T.V. Johnson.

"When we have more information on his status, which is proven, we'll release it."

On Sunday the Al-Qaeda-linked Ansar al-Sunna group denied a statement issued in its name and posted on the Internet a day earlier saying it had executed Hassoun.

The US marines confirmed on Wednesday that Hassoun went missing on June 21 after Al-Jazeera broadcast a tape from the Islamic Retaliation Movement showing a blinfolded Hassoun with a sword over his head.

The group threatened to decapitate him unless all prisoners were released in Iraq.

He is muslim.

Why would they behead him?

I hope people are paying attention.

They "spared" him his life as long as he promised to betray his country. He accepted.

I echo NewGuy - I hope you guys are paying attention!

It sounds as if he was granted his life based on him accepting a mark. The mark of betrayal. I wonder what the mark will look like once more and more people start accepting it.

Pretty scary if you ask me.

I don't get it....did he promise to do something to the U.S while over there or what?

If this guy is still alive, nobody has the right to blame him for "betraying" his country. First of all, what information would a low-ranking soldier have to offer? Secondly, if someone was holding a knife to my throat or torturing me, you can bet you ass I'm telling them what they want to know, or preferably making up a good lie to save my own life. That is not dishonorable, that's just survival and good old fashioned common sense.

Originally posted by Patriot54
If this guy is still alive, nobody has the right to blame him for "betraying" his country. First of all, what information would a low-ranking soldier have to offer? Secondly, if someone was holding a knife to my throat or torturing me, you can bet you ass I'm telling them what they want to know, or preferably making up a good lie to save my own life. That is not dishonorable, that's just survival and good old fashioned common sense.

You are a bit annoying. Don't tell any of us who or what we can blame or not. You've spent hours saying that the gov't is behind beheadings and taking hits out on the headless guy's father. You are a pompous ass.

And that's why the marines only take a select few and not many cowards like yourself. Almost every one of them take honor, integrity and loyalty more serious than their own lives.

Originally posted by jimnyc
And that's why the marines only take a select few and not many cowards like yourself. Almost every one of them take honor, integrity and loyalty more serious than their own lives.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

and no excuses! Has nothing, nothing to do with liberal and conservative! Got it Patriot?

Secondly, if someone was holding a knife to my throat or torturing me, you can bet you ass I'm telling them what they want to know, or preferably making up a good lie to save my own life. That is not dishonorable, that's just survival and good old fashioned common sense.

No, that is "yellow-belly-sacrificing-the-many-to-save-the-one" mentallity.

Don't pin your lack of ethics and morals on those who swear to uphold your freedoms. They are supposed to hold to a higher ethic.

Originally posted by NewGuy
.....sacrificing-the-many-to-save-the-one"
That is what our troops are supposed to believe in - banding together to save one of their own. I've never been in the military and have no desire to be, but my brother is in the Army and was in Iraq last year, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I would gladly put my life on the line to defend our country, but not to invade someone else's.

And let's clear up what we're talking about here. If I was captured by an enemy military, and they wanted me to tell them where my unit was so they could ambush them, I hope I could try to resist and hope for a quick death. It's easy enough for us to act like tough guys and say we would never talk, but unless you've ever been tortured, you don't really know, do you? (No offense intended to anyone reading this who has really been in that situation, I can only guess how I would react)

On the other hand, you know how some terrorists make their hostages read statements condemning the US? If that was the case, I would do it because nobody is going to think I really believe that. Or if they wanted some random useless information about our military, I would give it up or make up a lie like I said, as long as it wouldn't put my fellow soldiers in danger.

From what I've heard, troops are supposed to resist as much as they can, then a)try to make up something to get their captors to release them or b)try to escape. I'm not sure which comes first.

From what I've heard, troops are supposed to resist as much as they can, then a)try to make up something to get their captors to release them or b)try to escape. I'm not sure which comes first.

1. A soldier is supposed to always resist.

2. This guys was not tortured from the accounts I have read. He was just given a choice:

a) die
b) desert

he chose to desert which is a betrayal of his duties and his oath.

That is what our troops are supposed to believe in - banding together to save one of their own. I've never been in the military and have no desire to be, but my brother is in the Army and was in Iraq last year, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

You don't know what you are talking about.

I would gladly put my life on the line to defend our country, but not to invade someone else's.

And let's clear up what we're talking about here. If I was captured by an enemy military, and they wanted me to tell them where my unit was so they could ambush them, I hope I could try to resist and hope for a quick death. It's easy enough for us to act like tough guys and say we would never talk, but unless you've ever been tortured, you don't really know, do you? (No offense intended to anyone reading this who has really been in that situation, I can only guess how I would react)

You can't clean this up now. Your quote was:
"Secondly, if someone was holding a knife to my throat or torturing me, you can bet you ass I'm telling them what they want to know, or preferably making up a good lie to save my own life. That is not dishonorable, that's just survival and good old fashioned common sense."

This makes you a yellow-bellied self serving egotist. You are not any nobler than that.

Now you lie to justify appealing to the masses when called on it.

On the other hand, you know how some terrorists make their hostages read statements condemning the US? If that was the case, I would do it because nobody is going to think I really believe that. Or if they wanted some random useless information about our military, I would give it up or make up a lie like I said, as long as it wouldn't put my fellow soldiers in danger.

Proving my point. You have no honor. Not only that, you don't understand the enemy.

Then methinks we ought to learn a bit before proclaimation of knowledge on the subject.

Patriot, you sound like a very selfish individual. I hope nobody EVER has to rely upon you.

To Freeand fun1 and NewGuy - have either of you ever been captured by enemy soldiers or terrorists?

To Freeand fun1 and NewGuy - have either of you ever been captured by enemy soldiers or terrorists?

Have you?

Now that we have invalidated THAT argument, what's next?

Originally posted by NewGuy
Have you?

Now that we have invalidated THAT argument, what's next?
I already said I have never been in the military. And I made it clear that I was just guessing what I MIGHT do in that situation. You haven't answered my question or "invalidated" anything. You've only proven you can talk big from your comfy little computer chair.

I spent 8 years in the USA Army as an Infantryman. I served in Korea, Gulf War I and SF. I know what a soldier is supposed to do. That is all I need to know. This young man failed in his duties and if he is returned to the USA and he does refuse to serve, then he should be tried as a deserter and the maximum penalty is death.

I already said I have never been in the military. And I made it clear that I was just guessing what I MIGHT do in that situation. You haven't answered my question or "invalidated" anything. You've only proven you can talk big from your comfy little computer chair.

As I said, you have just invalidated the argument.

Next?

Originally posted by freeandfun1
I spent 8 years in the USA Army as an Infantryman. I served in Korea, Gulf War I and SF. I know what a soldier is supposed to do. That is all I need to know. This young man failed in his duties and if he is returned to the USA and he does refuse to serve, then he should be tried as a deserter and the maximum penalty is death.
That is fair enough, but I disagree with the last part. How did we get from "Possible good news for captured Marine" to "tried as a deserter and the maximum penalty is death". That doesn't sound like good news to me.

But since you have been in the military, tell us what soldiers are supposed to do if captured. I'm not saying that in a condescending or sarcastic way - I seriously would like to know. (I may have a problem with some people in our government, but have 100% respect for our troops and their service) I tried to do a search about protocol for captured soldiers, but I couldn't find anything about it.

Forum List

Back