Possible Deal Aborted?

Lefty Wilbury

Nov 4, 2003
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/World/hage031105-1.html

Possible Deal Aborted?
Claim: U.S. Government Spurned Peace Talks Before the War With Iraq

By Brian Ross and Chris Vlasto

Nov. 5 — A possible negotiated peace deal was laid out in a heavily guarded compound in Baghdad in the days before the war, ABCNEWS has been told, but a top former Pentagon adviser says he was ordered not to pursue the deal, ABCNEWS has learned.

A prominent Lebanese-American businessman said he secretly met with Iraqi intelligence officials just days after Secretary of State Colin Powell laid out the U.S. case for war at the United Nations in February.

Imad Hage, the president of the American Underwriters Group insurance company and known in the region as having contacts at the Pentagon, told ABCNEWS he was first approached by an Iraqi intelligence official who arrived unannounced at his office in Beirut.

A week later, according to Hage, he and an associate were asked to come to Baghdad, when Hage says he met with Saddam Hussein's chief of intelligence, Gen. Tahir Habbush, later labeled the Jack of Diamonds in the deck of cards depicting the most-wanted members of Saddam Hussein's regime. Habbush is still at large.

"He was conveying a message," said Hage. "He was conveying an offer." Hage said Habbush laid out terms of a negotiated peace during a four-hour session beginning at midnight at a compound in Baghdad.

Hage said Habbush repeated public denials by the regime that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction but offered to allow several thousand U.S. agents or scientists free rein in the country to carry out inspections. "Based on my meeting with his man," said Hage, "I think an effort was there to avert war. They were prepared to meet with high-ranking U.S. officials."

Hage said Habbush also offered U.N.-supervised free elections, oil concessions to U.S. companies and was prepared to turn over a top al Qaeda terrorist, Abdul Rahman Yasin, who Haboush said had been in Iraqi custody since 1994.

Yasin is one of the FBI's most wanted terrorists, indicted in connection with the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center. Hage says Habbush claimed the United States had refused earlier offers to turn him over. "He said we want to show good faith," Hage told ABCNEWS.

Yasin remains at large and is now thought to be one of the people behind the recent wave of attacks against U.S. forces in Iraq.

Throughout the period of the negotiations claimed by Hage, the Bush administration publicly maintained it would not conduct negotiations with Baghdad to avoid a war that did not first involve the unconditional departure of Saddam Hussein from Iraq or his surrender.

But Richard Perle, the then chairman of the Defense Policy Advisory Board, said in the weeks leading up to war with Iraq, he told the CIA but they refused the plan to meet with Iraqi officials to discuss a possible peace deal along the lines of the plan outlined by Hage to ABCNEWS.

"Although I was not enthusiastic about the offer, I was willing to meet with the Iraqis," Perle told ABCNEWS. "The United States government told me not to." Perle would not disclose which official or arm of the government rejected the talks.

Prepared to Cut a Deal

According to Pentagon e-mails obtained by ABCNEWS, Hage's report of the Iraqi offer was forwarded to Defense Department officials on Feb. 20, including Jaymie Durnan who, at the time, was the top aide to Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz. However, Pentagon officials said Defense Secretary Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz were not aware of the talks.

Senior Pentagon officials met earlier in the year with Hage, following an introduction from senior Pentagon staffer, Mike Maloof, who worked in the Office of Special Plans and had first recruited Hage to help the United States in its war on terrorism. Maloof, who was put on administrative leave because of the work he was doing at the Pentagon according to sources, declined to comment on his role in the claimed talks with Iraq.

But Hage said Maloof helped arrange a meeting with Perle, considered by many to be a principal architect of the U.S. policy on Iraq. Hage said, and Perle confirmed, that the two met in London in early March. Hage said he told Perle the Iraqis were prepared to meet with him or any U.S. representative.

"They were prepared to go anywhere to talk, to cut a deal," Hage told ABCNEWS.

Hage said Perle told him he could not proceed without approval from the U.S. government. "He wanted to pursue it further with people in Washington," said Hage, "provided he got the blessing or cover from people in Washington."

A few days later, Hage said Perle informed him that Washington had refused to allow him to meet with Habbush to discuss the Iraqi peace offer. "He indicated that the consensus was it was a no-go," said Hage, who has dual American citizenship and is known by many in Lebanon for his ability to work with all groups.

"This was one of many channels going on," said Perle. He added that the United States was discussing options with Saudi Arabia, Russia and France as well.

Hage, an emerging political leader in Lebanon who is considered pro-United States, said the United States missed a chance to avert war. "It seemed to me there was a genuine offer that was on the table and somebody should have talked, at least talked," Hage said.

In March, the American invasion began and Rumsfeld said the United States had done everything possible to avoid war. "The American people can take comfort in knowing that their country has done everything humanly possible to avoid war and to secure Iraq's peaceful disarmament."

A senior U.S. official said the government was unaware of anyone who was in a position to offer a deal that was acceptable to Washington at the time.

The official said that during the run-up to the war there were a wide variety of people, including "intelligence services, and other third parties and charlatans and independent actors," coming forward to offer roles in the negotiating process and that every plausible lead had been exhausted.

One U.S. intelligence officer said there were several attempts to meet with Iraqi intelligence officers but they didn't show up.

"Iraq and Saddam had ample opportunity through highly credible sources over a period of several years to take serious action to avoid war and had the means to use highly credible channels to do that — nobody needed to use questionable channels to convey messages," Acting Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs Larry DiRita told ABCNEWS.

And a senior White House official said the United States exhausted every legitimate opportunity to resolve it peacefully and it was "Saddam Hussein's unwillingness to comply after 12 years and some 17 United Nations Security Council resolutions, including one final opportunity, that forced the coalition to act to ensure compliance."

The official also added that Saddam was given 48 hours notice to leave before the United States initiated military action.

I guess the prior 12 years of talks weren't enough for Iraq to avert War.

They could have complied with UN resolutions
Saddam could have simply stepped down

They also could have just went to the UN and announced their intentions instead of continuing their cat and mouse games.

This article wreaks of political vengeance.

Outstanding article Wilbur, thanks for your diligence and fairness.

If this is true, it's tragic. Here was the mechanism that everybody wanted for regime change.
>>-supervised free elections,<<

>>Hage said Habbush also offered U.N.-supervised free elections, oil concessions to U.S. companies and was prepared to turn over a top al Qaeda terrorist, Abdul Rahman Yasin, who Haboush said had been in Iraqi custody since 1994. <<
Hussein was holding a top al Qaeda terrorist? I guess he and Osama weren't really that tight after all.

>>This article wreaks of political vengeance.<<
Yup, you might very well be right on this one. Synchronicity rarely occurs for no reason, I wonder who impelled the reporter to go talk to Hage in the first place? I imagine news organizations are trying to find corroborative evidence, if Perle is admitting the contact than the disputed peice would be the terms. If this doesn't collapse into a partisan heap it could spell very serious trouble.

what is with posting the whole freaking article? is the link not enough?

Actually, I think it's better to have the article posted here, rather than links that may or may not be working. It just seems more convenient. Just my $0.02.

I agree with Jimbo... this one smells like a load of BS coming down the liberal turnpike to me.

damn liberals are to blame for everything wrong with this country :rolleyes:

all the credit for success, no accountability for failure, the new american credo.

My .02$ on posting an entire article: I guess it's not a bad idea to start a thread this way, especially if the presentation of the article is specifically the issue you would like to talk about. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of having the number of threads multiply exponentially just because someone found an article. Better to make a statement or argument and provide links to support it. And the idea of posting entire articles in the middle of an established thread, I don't like at all. Of course, it doesn't matter that much to me one way or the other, but that's my opinion.

Regarding this specific article, well, if it's true, it's unfortunate. I do think the administration was on the war path with Iraq at least a year before the war actually started, and I don't think they would have allowed just any sign of willingness on the part of Iraq to negotiate to intervene with their plans. This administration was in a hurry, and once they started massing troops along the border, the invasion was coming, barring a surrender, in which case the troops would enter anyway. One way or another, the troops were entering Iraq. Which really makes the puppet show in the UN nothing more than a charade. I guess they figured support would be forthcoming, and when it wasn't, well, better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Just out of curiosity, what do you think, Lefty, now that you went to the trouble of posting an entire article without commentary?

"Throughout the period of the negotiations claimed by Hage, the Bush administration publicly maintained it would not conduct negotiations with Baghdad to avoid a war that did not first involve the unconditional departure of Saddam Hussein from Iraq or his surrender. "

"Throughout the period of the negotiations claimed by Hage, the Bush administration publicly maintained it would not conduct negotiations with Baghdad to avoid a war that did not first involve the unconditional departure of Saddam Hussein from Iraq or his surrender. "

Sounds like it was a good plan to me. Remove the head from the cockroach and it'll eventually die.

The war could have been avoided, it was entirely up to Saddam as to whether or not there was to be war - the decision was made to remove him from power.

I suspect that Saddam refused the demand to accept exile because of France's infamous 'No at any cost' stance & he was banking on the USA allowing itself to be barred from invading due to the deadlock in the UNSC.

i'm serious jim.. i really believe you have a selective ignorance thing going to generate emotions to generate web traffic.

ignoring my sarcasm, ignoring blaring points that you don't debate, and deliberately stirring the pot for action.

It was entirely up to Bush whether or not to avoid war. He chose war long before it started and he was entering Iraq come hell or high water (or even a simple opportunity to negotiate). Just don't get offended when you get labled an arrogant, self-righteous, egotistical war-monger, and the world decides not to donate to the war chest.

I meant to say earlier: Hope your wife gets well soon, and I'm glad to see you around more, NT.

Originally posted by spillmind
i'm serious jim.. i really believe you have a selective ignorance thing going to generate emotions to generate web traffic.

ignoring my sarcasm, ignoring blaring points that you don't debate, and deliberately stirring the pot for action.

Look here, Peter Puffer!

I've been on this board since day one and have debated in nearly every topic. I've stepped back and admitted I was wrong at times and I think I've given my fair share of proof to my own points as well.

You disappear and come back occasionally to throw your jabs. You are yet to make a single post without throwing some sort of jab at someone.

Debating with you is like debating with my child after I tell him why he can't have candy.

You want to make retarded comments, be prepared to get them thrown back in your face.

Originally posted by Jimnyc
I guess the prior 12 years of talks weren't enough for Iraq to avert War.

They could have complied with UN resolutions
Saddam could have simply stepped down

They also could have just went to the UN and announced their intentions instead of continuing their cat and mouse games. This article wreaks of political vengeance.

Originally posted by NightTrain
The war could have been avoided, it was entirely up to Saddam as to whether or not there was to be war - the decision was made to remove him from power.

I suspect that Saddam refused the demand to accept exile because of France's infamous 'No at any cost' stance & he was banking on the USA allowing itself to be barred from invading due to the deadlock in the UNSC.

*sighs*

If that's how you see things, than every further debate is useless.
Thank for your time. This is a nice forum, but nothing for me. Blaming the liberals and the french is fine, but a bit onesided.

*moves on*

Goodbye

Originally posted by Amras
*sighs*

If that's how you see things, than every further debate is useless.
Thank for your time. This is a nice forum, but nothing for me. Blaming the liberals and the french is fine, but a bit onesided.

*moves on*

Goodbye

Huh?

I thought both NT and I were clear that we were blaming Saddam himself for failure to avoid war.

Oh well, I'll stick to debating with people that don't have trouble reading our posts.

Best of luck to you. Bye!

(shit, you even quoted our very posts where we blame Saddam!)

It was entirely up to Bush whether or not to avoid war. He chose war long before it started and he was entering Iraq come hell or high water (or even a simple opportunity to negotiate). Just don't get offended when you get labled an arrogant, self-righteous, egotistical war-monger, and the world decides not to donate to the war chest.

I meant to say earlier: Hope your wife gets well soon, and I'm glad to see you around more, NT.

Thanks, Bry.

I disagree. Bush has been painted a war mongering lunatic, and I just don't buy it. The decision to remove Saddam from power was made (right or wrong, that decision was made) and every effort was exhausted to peacefully achieve that end prior to war.

In the end, military means were used to achieve the goal, but war wasn't the preferred means to that end. If that were the case, then the long buildup of troops and equipment on Iraq's border wouldn't have happened - there would have been a huge push to build up the necessary forces in a much shorter time frame.

Instead, there was a gradual buildup, with constant warnings made - if war was already decided upon, this was not the correct way to enter the theatre. The lengthy consolidation of US troops & equipment only allowed Saddam & Company to prepare for the inevitable invasion, meaning more casualties and hardship for our military.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Huh?

I thought both NT and I were clear that we were blaming Saddam himself for failure to avoid war.

Oh well, I'll stick to debating with people that don't have trouble reading our posts.

Best of luck to you. Bye!

(shit, you even quoted our very posts where we blame Saddam!)

You attacked, you are the aggressor
Iraq was no threat to US security, Iraq does not have the weapons you claimed they had. You arrested people, you interviewed scientists, you had huge inspections teams after the war, every damn dossier that has been published so far concerning Iraqs remaining WMDs is dodgy at best. All there is left is doubt.

Where is the link now between 9/11 and the Iraq War. The possible nexus between WMDs and terrorists. Mindless speculation of weekly standard editors.
We can pray that the Egyptian President Mubarak is wrong because he said that this would create a hundred new Bin Ladins. Did this war made your country safer? Be careful and don't rush with such an answer.
In this conflict, the US managed to alienate a lot of governments and you have not become more popular in arab countries.
The way that the US talked with their friends, those "in-your-face" politics won't be forgotten that easily. We didn't have those problems with Clinton or Bushs father.

This is your forum Jim, you're the boss here and actually I like the person you are and I love your country but I live a few thousand away from you and here people look at this war from a different angle.
I met some nice americans in my lifetime, and I hope more in the future. But I careful not to talk about politics, because then you can be selfrighteous bunch.

Best of luck to you. I wish you a happy live.

*Amras out*

Originally posted by Amras
This is your forum Jim, you're the boss here and actually I like the person you are and I love your country but I live a few thousand away from you and here people look at this war from a different angle.
I met some nice americans in my lifetime, and I hope more in the future. But I careful not to talk about politics, because then you can be selfrighteous bunch.

I'm sorry the board doesn't live up to the standards you are looking for. If you do a search for "democratic underground" (or republican) or maybe do a search for "one sided conversation", you may find something better suited.

Every political board on the internet is going to have debates, that's what they're all about! It would get awfully boring with everyone constantly agreeing.

When you say "self-righteous", are you referring to everyone on the board, or just a specific bunch? I think everyone here has been passionate about their beliefs and what side of politics they favor.

Anyway, sorry you have a problem with us.

Oh yeah, almost forgot:

(FU) ya liberal pansy!

apparently not growing up as fast as we had all hoped :laugh:

this post only reflects upon you, sadly. i actually feel sorry for you, man. :(

Forum List

Back