Positive/Negative

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
I heard an interview of some guy the other day who wrote a book examining movies during the depression. His basic theory was that those old movies were collectively responsible for giving people enough hope and courage to make it through the depression and that the movies themselves were a shared experience that almost every American participated in merely by watching them.

We don't really have anything like that now that I'm aware of...but what I do notice is that many people are very negative, and I'm thinking of FOX talking heads and the tea partiers...I'm wondering if the prevalence of negativity is in some way responsible for the slow recovery.

I heard an interview of some guy the other day who wrote a book examining movies during the depression. His basic theory was that those old movies were collectively responsible for giving people enough hope and courage to make it through the depression and that the movies themselves were a shared experience that almost every American participated in merely by watching them.

We don't really have anything like that now that I'm aware of...but what I do notice is that many people are very negative, and I'm thinking of FOX talking heads and the tea partiers...I'm wondering if the prevalence of negativity is in some way responsible for the slow recovery.

The movies back in the day did not have an agenda like Fox News does.

The movies back in the day did not have an agenda like Fox News does.
I think they did. But their agenda was quite a bit different...besides making money, of course. They could have cranked out doom and gloom and people would have still watched the movies.

Well, I wouldn't say "responsible". But the first thing needed for a solid recovery is consumer confidence. If there are people who every day intentionally undermine every advance, then obviously, that can't have a positive effect.

circle.jpg

Modern Holliwood is the problem, instead of story telling they make sure to offend at least half the country in many movies.

Forum List

Back