Port Gate

A

archangel

Since so many in here want so hard to believe that the take over of the Ports by DWP is okee dokee on the security issue...let me give you some food for thought! Just for the record John Snow the US Department of Treasury Secretary sold the sea port operations of CSX Rail( for 1.5 billion) to DWP(While he was Chairman) one year before he was appointed by President Bush. So if you have a hard time digesting the security issue at least you can see a definite conflict of interest here after all John Snow was the lead guy in the sale to DWP.....! I truly believe greed is the driving issue and is causing a definite monopoly in our country which is putting our security at risk!

two questions:

1. who is in charge of port security?

B. will the unions no longer be in charge of dockworkers?

manu1959 said:
two questions:

1. who is in charge of port security?
According to another post I read the Coast Guard is, until the ship docks, Makes sense....After that, I donno.

B. will the unions no longer be in charge of dockworkers?
Who cares?

archangel said:
Since so many in here want so hard to believe that the take over of the Ports by DWP is okee dokee on the security issue...let me give you some food for thought! Just for the record John Snow the US Department of Treasury Secretary sold the sea port operations of CSX Rail( for 1.5 billion) to DWP(While he was Chairman) one year before he was appointed by President Bush. So if you have a hard time digesting the security issue at least you can see a definite conflict of interest here after all John Snow was the lead guy in the sale to DWP.....! I truly believe greed is the driving issue and is causing a definite monopoly in our country which is putting our security at risk!

Here's some more food for thought:

Treasury: Snow had no role or conflict in ports review
Last Update: 11:41 PM ET Feb 23, 2006

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- U.S. Treasury Secretary John Snow wasn't involved in government approval of a Middle East firm's plans to buy U.S. port terminals, and he would have had no conflict of interest in the case from his private-sector career, a Treasury spokesman said Thursday.

Earlier Thursday, Rep. Marcy Kaptur, R-Ohio, wrote to the Treasury inspector general, seeking investigation of deliberations by an interagency group chaired by Snow that signed off on the port terminals deal. Kaptur also asked the inspector general to study if Snow had a conflict of interest as a result of his prior career with a big transport company.

Responding to Kaptur's letter, Treasury spokesman Tony Fratto told reporters the Treasury secretary "has no relationship with either company (Dubai Ports or P&O). None."

Kaptur and other critics of the deal's review by the interagency group known as the Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S., or CFIUS, point out CSX Corp. (CSX) - where Snow was chief executive and chairman before joining Treasury in February 2003 - sold its international terminal operations to Dubai Ports for $1.15 billion, albeit nearly two years after Snow had left the company.

"We're happy to have the OIG (Treasury's Office of Inspector General) look into this," the Treasury spokesman said.

"If people do look into it, they'll see in fact there's absolutely no personal interest or relationship on the part of Secretary Snow with business activities at CSX Corp....and certainly no even second-degree interest in the business activities of DPW (Dubai Ports World) or Peninsular and Oriental," he said.

Snow has had "no involvement or interest in the direction of" CSX since early 2003, Fratto said.

The Treasury secretary divested various stakes in the U.S. rail transport company for $33.2 million upon resignation and received a lump sum cash payment of $8 million in 2004 for his deferred compensation plan. The only remaining financial tie Snow has is a corporate pension that will pay $79,129 annually, the spokesman said.

Fratto reiterated Snow's statements that he learned of the CFIUS approval of the Dubai Ports-P&0 deal after the fact and that he learned of CSX's plans to sell terminal assets to Dubai Ports after the fact from media accounts.

Although Snow chairs the interagency CFIUS, he isn't involved in all proposed transactions before the committee.

In the Dubai Ports-P&O case, Assistant Treasury Secretary for International Affairs Clay Lowery was the most senior Treasury official involved, Fratto said. "At Treasury, the staff felt comfortable that there wasn't a need to take it higher," he said.

Mr. P said:

so if the coast guard and atf and dea and INS all have a hand in port of entry security

and the mafia....errrrrrrrrr unions control who works there.....

where is the "security" issue?

ScreamingEagle said:
Here's some more food for thought:

This is starting to look like the Halliburton/Cheney deal! And you buy into this disclaimer? I worked for the Department of Treasury/ USCS...The Secretary is briefed daily on all imporant issues...just as the President is! Now they both claim no prior knowledge...gimmee a break...not buying into it!

manu1959 said:
so if the coast guard and atf and dea and INS all have a hand in port of entry security

and the mafia....errrrrrrrrr unions control who works there.....

where is the "security" issue?

in another thread...but once again...The security risk comes into play as the 'Ships Manifest' is controlled by the port administration...what goes on the manifest is the perview of the port administration...in this case DWP! Customs agents spot search based on declared contents and port of departure...thank God they also go on gut feelings...which many seizures come from...It would take at least an additional 1m new agents to comprehensively search all suspected containers! :talk2:

archangel said:
This is starting to look like the Halliburton/Cheney deal! And you buy into this disclaimer? I worked for the Department of Treasury/ USCS...The Secretary is briefed daily on all imporant issues...just as the President is! Now they both claim no prior knowledge...gimmee a break...not buying into it!

No problem--pointing out the fact that the UAE boycotts Israel will bring out the pro-semitics. If they can't shut this thing down no one can. They have stong support and political clout.

archangel said:

What you're saying is we can't trust anybody, even Americans...including our President.

archangel said:
in another thread...but once again...The security risk comes into play as the 'Ships Manifest' is controlled by the port administration...what goes on the manifest is the perview of the port administration...in this case DWP! Customs agents spot search based on declared contents and port of departure...thank God they also go on gut feelings...which many seizures come from...It would take at least an additional 1m new agents to comprehensively search all suspected containers! :talk2:

And who creates the manifests? The companies that are shipping the goods. The companies have to declare to customs as well. The port managers are not going to be able to change a manifest unless they are in cahoots with the companies shipping the goods. That is pretty unlikely to happen with an established/reputable company or maybe we should not accept any goods originating from the Middle East?

There is the stronger possibility of terrorists replacing goods (sitting in crates at the shipper's manufacturing/storage point or in some shipping/holding yard en route) with bomb materials without anyone's knowledge or perhaps with the help of a conspiring/bribed/threatened employee of one of the many handlers of the product along its trip to America. Handlers along the way can include manufacturers, wholesalers, trucking lines, railroad lines, airlines, shipping lines, customs handlers, storage facilities, etc.

In my mind the only way we can truly prevent a nuclear bomb from entering the country is to develop the proper scanning technology to be used on each and every container. Not to mention guarding all of our borders. And creating friends in the Middle East who will help hunt down the terrorist groups.

ScreamingEagle said:
What you're saying is we can't trust anybody, even Americans...including our President.
(Only when they outright lie or do the cover-up routine)

And who creates the manifests? The companies that are shipping the goods. The companies have to declare to customs as well. The port managers are not going to be able to change a manifest unless they are in cahoots with the companies shipping the goods. That is pretty unlikely to happen with an established/reputable company or maybe we should not accept any goods originating from the Middle East?

There is the stronger possibility of terrorists replacing goods (sitting in crates at the shipper's manufacturing/storage point or in some shipping/holding yard en route) with bomb materials without anyone's knowledge or perhaps with the help of a conspiring/bribed/threatened employee of one of the many handlers of the product along its trip to America. Handlers along the way can include manufacturers, wholesalers, trucking lines, railroad lines, airlines, shipping lines, customs handlers, storage facilities, etc.

In my mind the only way we can truly prevent a nuclear bomb from entering the country is to develop the proper scanning technology to be used on each and every container. Not to mention guarding all of our borders. And creating friends in the Middle East who will help hunt down the terrorist groups.
For your info...when a company ships cargo they flie a shipment manifest to the port of export/import...this is filed with the Port Administration and a copy goes to the receiving/exporting( port of entry) Customs Service.The port administrators of the port of export/import are responsible for the declared cargo as listed on the manifest(in this case DWP) It is their responsibility to 'VERIFY'...In 'our' case the US Customs Service can and I have done in the past went directly to the shippers warehouse to spot check suspicious manifests...however it would take one hellava lot of additional Customs Agents to accomplish a comprehensive check on all cargo...inbound as well as out-bound...alot of trust must be placed with the Port Administrators to 'Verify' This being the case my trust is assurdely weak when it comes to UAE/DWP!

archangel said:
For your info...when a company ships cargo they flie a shipment manifest to the port of export/import...this is filed with the Port Administration and a copy goes to the receiving/exporting( port of entry) Customs Service.The port administrators of the port of export/import are responsible for the declared cargo as listed on the manifest(in this case DWP) It is their responsibility to 'VERIFY'...In 'our' case the US Customs Service can and I have done in the past went directly to the shippers warehouse to spot check suspicious manifests...however it would take one hellava lot of additional Customs Agents to accomplish a comprehensive check on all cargo...inbound as well as out-bound...alot of trust must be placed with the Port Administrators to 'Verify' This being the case my trust is assurdely weak when it comes to UAE/DWP!

Your right--terrorists aren't stupid. Why would they load a WMD coming though an Arab operated port when there gigantic holes everywhere. The time you waste worrying about DPW would be much better spent on beefing up security on our end. Your illusion of any type of security is baseless.

archangel said:
however it would take one hellava lot of additional Customs Agents to accomplish a comprehensive check on all cargo

Who is talking about inspecting 100% of all cargo??? Not even John Kerry stuck with that one for more than a week.

archangel said:

Please explain how our various Port Administrators throughout America 'verify' goods coming into port from all over the world, especially those originating from the Middle East.

And by "Port Administrator" do you mean the terminal managers such as these UAE terminals in question? Or some other Port Authority?

ScreamingEagle said:
Please explain how our various Port Administrators throughout America 'verify' goods coming into port from all over the world, especially those originating from the Middle East.

Now we are getting somewhere...the problem is 'they don't' they rubber stamp all manifests from the shipper...even though it is their responsibility to "VERIFY" Now you tell me how UAE will be more secure...being that they do in fact have a history of supporting terrorist? I'm so done with all this please tow the party line BS!

gop_jeff said:
Who is talking about inspecting 100% of all cargo??? Not even John Kerry stuck with that one for more than a week.

You either have a port administration that you trust...or the only other option would be to increase Customs Agents a ten thousand fold! At this point I say increase agents by a million...cause the UAE is not my cup of tea...!

archangel said:
Now we are getting somewhere...the problem is 'they don't' they rubber stamp all manifests from the shipper...even though it is their responsibility to "VERIFY" Now you tell me how UAE will be more secure...being that they do in fact have a history of supporting terrorist? I'm so done with all this please tow the party line BS!

I know they don't. Bills of lading are basically rubber-stamped all up and down the chain. You have just 'verified' my earlier posts which basically say that there is NO WAY to prevent onloading of bomb material from ANYWHERE to America unless each and every container is individually checked.

ScreamingEagle said:
I know they don't. Bills of lading are basically rubber-stamped all up and down the chain. You have just 'verified' my earlier posts which basically say that there is NO WAY to prevent onloading of bomb material from ANYWHERE to America unless each and every container is individually checked.

This is why I am against the takeover...being from Nevada I play the odds...why increase the odds against yourself...does not compute! Either hire one hellava lot of "Customs Agents" or use an American company who has a vested interest is staying 'Nuke' (mushroom) cloud free...after all they would live here...unlike the UAE whos only course in life is to spread Islam all over the world using any means at their disposal...end of story!

dmp said:
Not ANOTHER issue suffixed by '-gate'!!

(sigh)

My bad...I should have thrown in a half naked woman to passify your highness!

Forum List

Back