Pork prices at record levels and expected to to increase.

zzzz

Just a regular American
Jul 24, 2010
Yountsville
The trend of record prices for food continues with pork. The retail price of pork has hit $3.35 a pound and is expected to got to $3.50 by the end of the year. The cost for the consumer?
Grocery store food prices have increased about 5 percent in the past year, and the price of meats, poultry, fish and eggs has increased about 7 percent, Hurt said
Pork product prices reach record highs | Journal and Courier | jconline.com

The pork industry cannot keep up with the export market (China is increasing its pork demand) and the increase in grain prices (70% of the cost of raising pigs) make it likely that the price will continue to rise. Grocery prices have risen 5% this year and for meat, poultry fish and eggs 7%. According to the Feds inflation is at 1.6%, yet they do not include food or energy prices, 2 of the the one thing everybody uses. There is a clear disconnect here between the Feds and reality.

The heat wave and lack of rain in the corn producing areas means lower yields and less corn. Higher prices for corn because ethanol takes a sizable portion of the corn crop and higher prices for meat. This does not forebode well for the economy as the rising cost of food takes money away for buying other items that reduce inventories and keep people working. Does not look good folks.

40% of our corn is diverted to ethanol production. Still, Big Ag wants to push the blend ratios yet higher.

20% of U.S. ethanol production is exported. Why?

Because they can.

The right must be giddy at the prospect our economy will now fizzle out.

Its just such good news for them that place party over country

40% of our corn is diverted to ethanol production. Still, Big Ag wants to push the blend ratios yet higher.

Because they can.

Big business built all this ethanol capacity in the last ten years and they mean to use it. Congress keeps throwing money (through subsidies) to make it profitable. Was the ethanol subsidy part of the reduction in the new deficit reduction plan?

Because they can.

Big business built all this ethanol capacity in the last ten years and they mean to use it. Congress keeps throwing money (through subsidies) to make it profitable. Was the ethanol subsidy part of the reduction in the new deficit reduction plan?

I suspect not since most who grow corn are right wingers and tea Party supporters.

The right must be giddy at the prospect our economy will now fizzle out.

Its just such good news for them that place party over country

Welcome to 2 years ago...

It must be a downer making posts that literally not a single person agrees with TM. Not a single number anywhere has shown any sort of "economic recovery" at ant point and you now blam it all on either Reps or the Tea Party...

Last edited:
Oh yeah, TM what happened to your slew of threads based on hiring that was "GOING TO HAPPEN!!!" Let me guess, you get to be wrong as we all told you (making us right lol) because the Tea Party held the country hostage by offering a balanced budget back 3 months ago that leaves us with a surplus only to have the Dems in the Senate vote it down?

Because they can.

Not quite sure. I think the incentives were scheduled to expire before the big debt debate hit the fan.

Regardless who benefits- farmers, blenders, refiners, etc. - this program has run amok and has run its course. It's absolutely unconscionable that U.S. ethanol production is being EXPORTED. It runs counter to the original intent which was (in theory) to reduce crude oil and refined products imports.

Because they can.

Not quite sure. I think the incentives were scheduled to expire before the big debt debate hit the fan.

Regardless who benefits- farmers, blenders, refiners, etc. - this program has run amok and has run its course. It's absolutely unconscionable that U.S. ethanol production is being EXPORTED. It runs counter to the original intent which was (in theory) to reduce crude oil and refined products imports.

The subsidies are set to expire Dec 31st and were not part of the agreement being voted on.
U.S. Ethanol Industry to Keep Subsidies Until End of 2011 - Bloomberg

Lettuce and tomato sammies ain't bad. Hell, my favorite is peanut butter and tomato on toast.
Don't get me wrong- I dig swine. But when that slab o' pork hits 300 pennies a pound... well fergeddaboudit.

Lettuce and tomato sammies ain't bad. Hell, my favorite is peanut butter and tomato on toast.
Don't get me wrong- I dig swine. But when that slab o' pork hits 300 pennies a pound... well fergeddaboudit.

You should try peanut butter, mayo and lettuce.:thup:

Forum List

Back