Poppies!

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
I have to go to a lab tomorrow for standard pre-employment drug testing. This would not be a problem for me, but it just so happens that this morning, I ate a regular bagel, that happened to have some little black seeds on one side. After eating it, I belatedly wondered- could those have been poppy seeds?

In case they were, we called the lab to ask about it. They claim that they have raised the tolerances in the test to rule out false positives due to poppy seeds. I also read that it can take up to 72 hours for the substance in poppy seeds to leave your bloodstream.

Doee anyone know anything about this? I do not want to produce a false positive test, but I have to have it done tomorrow.

Abbey Normal said:
I have to go to a lab tomorrow for standard pre-employment drug testing. This would not be a problem for me, but it just so happens that this morning, I ate a regular bagel, that happened to have some little black seeds on one side. After eating it, I belatedly wondered- could those have been poppy seeds?

In case they were, we called the lab to ask about it. They claim that they have raised the tolerances in the test to rule out false positives due to poppy seeds. I also read that it can take up to 72 hours for the substance in poppy seeds to leave your bloodstream.

Doee anyone know anything about this? I do not want to produce a false positive test, but I have to have it done tomorrow.

The poppie seeds on the Bagel are not the same variety as the Heroin producing poppies...so I would sleep well if I were you! :thanks:

archangel said:
The poppie seeds on the Bagel are not the same variety as the Heroin producing poppies...so I would sleep well if I were you! :thanks:

Are you sure they will not cause a false positive?

I have always heard they will.

To be completely safe, don't go near the damn things,
of any variety, for three weeks, never mind three days.

USViking said:
Are you sure they will not cause a false positive?

I have always heard they will.

To be completely safe, don't go near the damn things,
of any variety, for three weeks, never mind three days.

The person we talked to at the Lab said they used to cause false positives, and but for raising the tolerance levels, they still would.

Abbey Normal said:
The person we talked to at the Lab said they used to cause false positives, and but for raising th etolerance levels, they still would.

there are many varities of poppies..however opium poppies,seeds and pods are illegal to possess in the US...you would have to eat a whole bag of Calif. poppie seeds to get a false positive from these! :laugh:

Dan said:

however it is a false positive as opium poppies are not used on bagels...it use to give a false positive...the tests were altered to compensate for false opiates as they do not exist in the variety of poppie used even though they mimicked the opiates on tests that were not accurate...so one could still receive a positive if one ingested a whole bag of seeds...but not the number found on bagels normally ingested...so it is safe to enjoy a bagel or two or three...

Abbey Normal said:
The person we talked to at the Lab said they used to cause false positives, and but for raising the tolerance levels, they still would.

I caught this before.

Are all labs as rigorous?

Does the person you know not suggest at all
staying away from poppy seeds?

Too bad for a lot of people pot lasts even longer.

I'm not in the job market now, but I might be down
the road, so what does your lab contact say about pot?

I know test tubes won't help, since ya gotta strip now.

Better watch the haircut cycle too, right?

More inside information, please.

USViking said:
I caught this before.

Are all labs as rigorous?

Does the person you know not suggest at all
staying away from poppy seeds?

Too bad for a lot of people pot lasts even longer.

I know test tubes won't help, since ya gotta strip now.

Better watch the haircut cycle too, right?

More inside information, please.

Never eat more than a bagel or two...stay away from Mary Jane as she is a bad girl...never shoot up or snort funny white powder...and never smoke anything that does not come with a US tax seal...you should pass your test just fine! ;)

USViking said:

Depending on usage..some people can pee "Hot" (positive) for 6 months..some 30 days...over the counter tests are available if you have a concern.

Mr. P said:
re-schudule ...you really don't want to risk a pos. do you?

Didn't I hear you had a fever and were ill?

don't scare the lady...if there is a concern all one has to do is advise the person taking the sample...on your request they will make a notation on the form accompaning the sample...noting Bagels ingested..or cold medicine ingested and so on! :laugh:

archangel said:
don't scare the lady...if there is a concern all one has to do is advise the person taking the sample...on your request they will make a notation on the form accompaning the sample...noting Bagels ingested..or cold medicine ingested and so on! :laugh:
That's true...on the other hand, depending on the company,
a positive may end all...false or not.

archangel said:

I will do that. Thanks for the advice. :)

Abbey Normal said:

I've heard they do cause a false positive. Though that may be old and new tests can tell the difference. I would tell the tester though.

Wow.....Abbey............from a bagel?

I think I'm a total idiot when it comes to things like this. I eat about four slices of bread every day that is Oroweat 3-seed and poppyseeds are one of the seeds and now I find out this might make a drug test come back positive? :duh3:

If I have enough in my system to trigger a drug test, am I getting the same effects as if I were doing the dope direct? Cause...........I don't think I feel any different when I eat the bread...........other than getting seeds in my teeth that irritate me! :dunno:

kurtsprincess said:
Wow.....Abbey............from a bagel?

I think I'm a total idiot when it comes to things like this. I eat about four slices of bread every day that is Oroweat 3-seed and poppyseeds are one of the seeds and now I find out this might make a drug test come back positive? :duh3:

If I have enough in my system to trigger a drug test, am I getting the same effects as if I were doing the dope direct? Cause...........I don't think I feel any different when I eat the bread...........other than getting seeds in my teeth that irritate me! :dunno:

As Arch has made clear, different poppy and no effect, rest easy. Problem is with test. That's why it is referred to as a false positive. I must say, Arch should be right, by now they should have been able to refine the test. I know it was a problem a few years back, but THOSE IN THE KNOW, knew this 25 years ago, when I took a police test. By now they should have made it more discriminating.

Kathianne said:
As Arch has made clear, different poppy and no effect, rest easy. Problem is with test. That's why it is referred to as a false positive. I must say, Arch should be right, by now they should have been able to refine the test. I know it was a problem a few years back, but THOSE IN THE KNOW, knew this 25 years ago, when I took a police test. By now they should have made it more discriminating.

OK, thanks!!! I wasn't worried.......just fascinated!

Forum List

Back