Pope v. Science on Condoms

IOW, the pope said nothing that was untrue and nothing wrong....it is just you don't agree.

If I were to give the Pope the benefit of the doubt, at the best he failed to communicate clearly on an important issue. It is highly misleading to say that condoms make the problem worse. If he had meant to say that having condoms available will increase promiscuous sex and therefore increase transmission because the increased sexual activity will outweigh the protective effect of condoms, that would have been less irresponsible/damaging, if not fully accurate. Do condoms really protect against STDs? - TODAY Health

I have no problem with him preaching abstinence first even if I doubt it will make a large difference in abstinence rates. I do have a problem with him undermining the efforts of harm minimization for those who are unwilling to be abstinent.

IOW, the pope said nothing that was untrue and nothing wrong....it is just you don't agree.

If I were to give the Pope the benefit of the doubt, at the best he failed to communicate clearly on an important issue. It is highly misleading to say that condoms make the problem worse. If he had meant to say that having condoms available will increase promiscuous sex and therefore increase transmission because the increased sexual activity will outweigh the protective effect of condoms, that would have been less irresponsible/damaging, if not fully accurate. Do condoms really protect against STDs? - TODAY Health

I have no problem with him preaching abstinence first even if I doubt it will make a large difference in abstinence rates. I do have a problem with him undermining the efforts of harm minimization for those who are unwilling to be abstinent.
More on the effectiveness of condom use and AIDS. I would suggest reading the articles linked in their entirety to understand what the Pope is stating about condom use and the spread of AIDS.

We have found no consistent associations between condom use and lower HIV-infection rates, which, 25 years into the pandemic, we should be seeing if this intervention was working.”

So notes Edward C. Green, director of the AIDS Prevention Research Project at the Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies, in response to papal press comments en route to Africa this week.

There is,” Green adds, “a consistent association shown by our best studies, including the U.S.-funded ‘Demographic Health Surveys,’ between greater availability and use of condoms and higher (not lower) HIV-infection rates. This may be due in part to a phenomenon known as risk compensation, meaning that when one uses a risk-reduction ‘technology’ such as condoms, one often loses the benefit (reduction in risk) by ‘compensating’ or taking greater chances than one would take without the risk-reduction technology.”

From Saint Peter’s Square to Harvard Square by Kathryn Jean Lopez on National Review Online

If condoms were the answer, the AIDS rate would be decreasing. That morality thing sure is a bitch.

Last edited:

More on the effectiveness of condom use and AIDS. I would suggest reading the articles linked in their entirety to understand what the Pope is stating about condom use and the spread of AIDS.

There is,” Green adds, “a consistent association shown by our best studies, including the U.S.-funded ‘Demographic Health Surveys,’ between greater availability and use of condoms and higher (not lower) HIV-infection rates. This may be due in part to a phenomenon known as risk compensation, meaning that when one uses a risk-reduction ‘technology’ such as condoms, one often loses the benefit (reduction in risk) by ‘compensating’ or taking greater chances than one would take without the risk-reduction technology.”

From Saint Peter’s Square to Harvard Square by Kathryn Jean Lopez on National Review Online

If condoms were the answer, the AIDS rate would be decreasing. That morality thing sure is a bitch.

What "morality". You mean religious teaching don't you?

No, the morality of not sleeping with everything that crosses your path . . . just because you can.

No, the morality of not sleeping with everything that crosses your path . . . just because you can.

That's not immoraityl, that's just opportunism. If you're invited why shouldn't you accept the invitation? It would be rude to refuse :eusa_angel:

Zoom,

American men can sleep with virtually any woman at all. Fact is most American women are whores. In the case of the Negro most don't even know who their father is.

Ah poor boy doesn't like being referenced as what he is. You'd actually have a chance if it wasn't already fairly well know that AIDs, which began in Africa perhaps as early as the 1970's is the product of a virus which managed to make the jump from monkeys to humans, from the practice of eating monkey brains which is fairly common in West Africa. AID's appears in several species other than humans.

there is a theory of cross species contamination..from monkeys to humans ..far from proven and in dispute ...as it makes little sense the monkeys have been known to carry this virus similar to aids for a long time and they have been eaten for a long time..but the virus had not mutate

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL8Y-dp6ab4[/ame]

Last edited:
1/3 of all new aids patients claimed they got aids even though they used a condom 100% of the time.

While giving evidence at the trial of Stephen Ward, charged with living off the immoral earnings of Keeler and Rice-Davies, the latter made a quip for which she is now best remembered. When the prosecuting counsel pointed out that Lord Astor denied an affair or having even met her, she replied, "Well, he would, wouldn't he?". This has become a popular phrase in Britain, usually reworded as 'Well he would say that, wouldn't he?'.

Mandy Rice-Davies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well they would say that, wouldn't they? :D

As I stated the chance for a bad out come if you are promiscuous and use condoms and stupid and play russian roulet is very nearly identical. Both are risky behaviors.

As I stated the chance for a bad out come if you are promiscuous and use condoms and stupid and play russian roulet is very nearly identical. Both are risky behaviors.

lol, in a hyperbolic sort of way I suppose. Except we're talking about small odds repeated many times in the case of condoms and STDs compared to pretty high odds of death for Russian Roulette. However, even if you have a 99.9% chance of nothing happening at any given time, after 1000 times you have a 63.23% chance of something bad happening (1-(.999^1000)), (just an illustration). With Russian roulette you have a 16.7% chance of getting killed per squeeze if it's 5 empty 1 loaded. With those odds, you have a less than 1% chance of survival after 25 times.

Last edited:

Like I stated previously that is easier state than done, especially with teenagers and college students. The desire to rebell and have sex trumpts anything parents or schools are going to teach them!

Morality is a tricky thing!

Like I stated previously that is easier state than done, especially with teenagers and college students. The desire to rebell and have sex trumpts anything parents or schools are going to teach them!

Morality is a tricky thing!

Yes it is but that's no excuse for parents to stop teaching morality to their children. The message gets through . . . . eventually.

Your statement about kids rebelling - while this is true for many it is not true for all. Again, teaching them morality gives them a solid foundation. They need this foundation so when they experience new things they can draw on it for strength. And when they make mistakes, as they will, this foundation helps them to learn and grow from these mistakes.

Yes it is but that's no excuse for parents to stop teaching morality to their children. The message gets through . . . . eventually. .
I 100% agree with that! Morality should always be taught to children, but on everything. I am still upset how the parents of the guy that killed in cold blood 4 officers and raped a 12 yr old, are making excuses for their monster son. Or the first reaction to the mother of the teenager that beat the shit out of his 80+ yr old bus driver, was to make excuses for her son.

However, preaching mortality doesn't always have to stop at one point. I am going to preach to my kids not to drink, but in reality they will, so I will also preach to them what not to do when they drink. Trust me I am already preaching the value of waiting to my daughter, but in reality if she choose to be violated by a little punk then I pray to god she is smart about it. Funny thing I saw in school was the strict Catholic daughters turned out to be the biggest sluts!

Your statement about kids rebelling - while this is true for many it is not true for all. Again, teaching them morality gives them a solid foundation. They need this foundation so when they experience new things they can draw on it for strength. And when they make mistakes, as they will, this foundation helps them to learn and grow from these mistakes
I am for preaching both! But in the end its up to the parents rather than society to teach your kids the "right" way.

Forum List

Back