Pope v. Science on Condoms

Yes it is but that's no excuse for parents to stop teaching morality to their children. The message gets through . . . . eventually. .
I 100% agree with that! Morality should always be taught to children, but on everything. I am still upset how the parents of the guy that killed in cold blood 4 officers and raped a 12 yr old, are making excuses for their monster son. Or the first reaction to the mother of the teenager that beat the shit out of his 80+ yr old bus driver, was to make excuses for her son.

However, preaching mortality doesn't always have to stop at one point. I am going to preach to my kids not to drink, but in reality they will, so I will also preach to them what not to do when they drink. Trust me I am already preaching the value of waiting to my daughter, but in reality if she choose to be violated by a little punk then I pray to god she is smart about it. Funny thing I saw in school was the strict Catholic daughters turned out to be the biggest sluts!

Morality has to be taught to children. They may fight you tooth and nail but . . . they hear you. I try not to preach but to offer all sides of an issue and to listen, really listen, to what they are saying. Sometimes I just get a door slammed in my face (my youngest is 12 :rolleyes:) but sometimes . . . . I don't. Either way, right now at least, I know the message is getting through. Does that guarantee anything? Nope. But it sets a really solid foundation and that foundation gives them something to draw on when they do make their mistakes.

Don't be so sure about the 'but my kids will do this anyway'. I knew a family whose attitude was 'well, you're going to drink anyway so you may as well drink at home' when the kid was 17 years old. He's got a drinking problem now. Maybe he would have one anyway but had the parents set those boundaries and not condoned that behavior in their house . . . maybe he would have just experimented with drinking like other kids but not ended up having a problem later in life. I don't know. I think it's better to set boundaries. I do know that not all kids take that route; don't assume they will. All you can do is teach them well and be there to guide them when they make their mistakes. Some of the best lessons I've learned have been from my mistakes.

But in the end its up to the parents rather than society to teach your kids the "right" way.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Absolutely!! My kids will get mad at me and yell and say they hate me. I just tell them 'that's ok I'm not here to be liked, I'm here to teach you'. Then they get even madder at me. :lol: Parents need to step up and parent their kids instead of trying to be their friend. Sadly I find many parents today don't do this. They're doing a huge disservice to their kids.

Yes it is but that's no excuse for parents to stop teaching morality to their children. The message gets through . . . . eventually. .
I 100% agree with that! Morality should always be taught to children, but on everything. I am still upset how the parents of the guy that killed in cold blood 4 officers and raped a 12 yr old, are making excuses for their monster son. Or the first reaction to the mother of the teenager that beat the shit out of his 80+ yr old bus driver, was to make excuses for her son.

However, preaching mortality doesn't always have to stop at one point. I am going to preach to my kids not to drink, but in reality they will, so I will also preach to them what not to do when they drink. Trust me I am already preaching the value of waiting to my daughter, but in reality if she choose to be violated by a little punk then I pray to god she is smart about it. Funny thing I saw in school was the strict Catholic daughters turned out to be the biggest sluts!

Your statement about kids rebelling - while this is true for many it is not true for all. Again, teaching them morality gives them a solid foundation. They need this foundation so when they experience new things they can draw on it for strength. And when they make mistakes, as they will, this foundation helps them to learn and grow from these mistakes
I am for preaching both! But in the end its up to the parents rather than society to teach your kids the "right" way.

Have you preached the value of waiting to your sons? Why or why not?

I don't believe in double standards

Your statement about kids rebelling - while this is true for many it is not true for all. Again, teaching them morality gives them a solid foundation. They need this foundation so when they experience new things they can draw on it for strength. And when they make mistakes, as they will, this foundation helps them to learn and grow from these mistakes
I am for preaching both! But in the end its up to the parents rather than society to teach your kids the "right" way.

NO! On this case I do have a double standard, I can't help it. I should not, but I do. The fear of my little girl being the town slut is much harder for me to take then my son being the town player!

NO! On this case I do have a double standard, I can't help it. I should not, but I do. The fear of my little girl being the town slut is much harder for me to take then my son being the town player![/QUOTE]

Your son being the town player means that someone else's daughter is the town slut.

NO! On this case I do have a double standard, I can't help it. I should not, but I do. The fear of my little girl being the town slut is much harder for me to take then my son being the town player!

Your son being the town player means that someone else's daughter is the town slut.

How many of you have had a condom break during sex?

That is a percentage NOT factored in on the box..

How many of you have had a heated sexual encounter where you meant to use a condom but just didn't bother getting it on in time?

The sexual act was made easier by the comfort of having the condom.

I'm not agreeing with the Pope by any means because I think in today's society we NEED condoms. Hell we need full body condoms when dealing with certain situations because a condom just won't cut it. :tongue:

I believe what the Pope is getting at is an idea that we need to teach absitance first and foremost. Making condoms the saving grace on this topic doesn't stop the true source which is promescuity.

And so the issue doesn't get clouded NO I am NOT saying that someone with HIV or AIDS had to have been sleeping with multipul people to get it. What I am saying is that in order for it to spread like wild fire you have to have people jumping around to at least a few partners.

I didn't say that think was right, but I am for some reason more naturely concerned to protect my daughter than my son on this topic!

I didn't say that think was right, but I am for some reason more naturely concerned to protect my daughter than my son on this topic!

I'm just saying -- if the guy next door teaches his son what you are teaching your son - or rather what you are not teaching your son - your daughter could be the neighbor's son next 'conquest'. Talk to your son. :)

Did you know that when the Pope was in the German Army in WWII (big secret in Rome) that he worked in the Work Camps where most semites worked? Well irt is a known fact that at that time he fathered at least 17 German/Jewish children. FACT, I kid you not !

After the war though he renounce these acts and rose to the post of HOLY FATHER in ROME, GOD's messenger on EARTH.

I BELIEVE!

I'm just saying -- if the guy next door teaches his son what you are teaching your son - or rather what you are not teaching your son - your daughter could be the neighbor's son next 'conquest'. Talk to your son. :)

Good point.

If condoms are as effective as touted, shouldn't the AIDS rate have gone down?

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. If you don't use a condom, then you are highly at risk.

I definitely agree. IMO, it was both disgraceful and irresponsible for a church leader to try and actively discourage people from using condoms to prevent the spread of AIDS. While there is no guarantee, and condoms are not 100% effective, it is still far better to use them than using no kind of protection at all.

This is one of the many reasons I kicked catholicism to the curb over two decades ago, along with other gods, religions and churches while I was at it. I find the rcc's poisonous doctrines and policies concerning sex and birth control to be cruel and oppressive and only worthy of REJECTION by the world as a whole.

exactly what is wrong with the pope's statement? abstinence absolutely will work, that is a true statement. condoms allow people to believe that putting on a plastic cover over your dick is the safe way to go. and if you don't think that doesn't encourage more sex as the pope said, then you are blind. of course condoms will create more sex....imagine a world without condoms, imagine a world with responsibilities regarding sex. yeah, no condoms....no doubt there would be less sex.

He doesn't have to imagine much. He lives in a world without sex.

one of the lamest responses i have seen from you....you don't address anything of substance and instead make fun of the pope....bravo down under.....bravo

You're obviously missing the point some of us are making. Which is, not everyone WANTS to live in the grim, sexless world your pope no doubt wants and desires. A world ruled by fear and guilt, just as it used to be in past centuries when the rcc ruled in many countries. And conducted TERRORIST campaigns against all who questioned or disagreed with "mother church."

If you want to live that way, fine, that's entirely your choice. Thankfully, I don't have to, and neither does anyone else. Pope Benny can voice his anti-sex OPINIONS all he wants. No one is forced to listen to or obey him.

Last edited:
He doesn't have to imagine much. He lives in a world without sex.

one of the lamest responses i have seen from you....you don't address anything of substance and instead make fun of the pope....bravo down under.....bravo

You're obviously missing the point some of us are making. Which is, not everyone WANTS to live in the grim, sexless world your pope no doubt wants and desires. A world ruled by fear and guilt, just as it used to be in past centuries when the rcc ruled in many countries. And conducted TERRORIST campaigns against all who questioned or disagreed with "mother church."

If you want to live that way, fine, that's entirely your choice. Thankfully, I don't have to, and neither does anyone else. Pope Benny can voice his anti-sex OPINIONS all he wants. No one is forced to listen to or obey him.

MSNBC busted Pat Buchanan and the Catholic church for their hypocracy last night. Pat was defending some at Notre Dame for not wanting Obama to speak at graduation, but Bush spoke at Notre Dame.

The guy asked Pat, "why was Bush allowed when he put so many in texas to death"? And Buchanan went off on the difference between innocent fetus' and murderers.

But the guy he was arguing with made a great point. The Pope/Catholic Church doesn't approve of either abortion or capital punishment.

Pat got so frustrated that he took a drink out of a plastic cup that didn't have any water in it. He was flustered.

No one sin is worse than any other sin, right?

PS. The guy also said, "I find it ironic that the church with pedophile priests has the balls to preach to Obama about his policies on abortion"? So true.

Forum List

Back