Pope Says Stop Giving Babies Offbeat Names

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
While names such as Sienna and Scarlett have become fashionable in recent years, Pope Benedict XVI called for a return to tradition.

During Mass at the Sistine Chapel, he said: "Every baptised child acquires the character of the son of God, beginning with their Christian name, an unmistakable sign that the Holy Spirit causes man to be born anew in the womb of the Church." He added that a name was an "indelible seal" that set children off on a lifelong "journey of religious faith".

Pope rails against rise of un-Christian names - Telegraph

I kinda sorta agree. Why name a baby after a jewelry store or a race car?

Whaca think?

While names such as Sienna and Scarlett have become fashionable in recent years, Pope Benedict XVI called for a return to tradition.

During Mass at the Sistine Chapel, he said: "Every baptised child acquires the character of the son of God, beginning with their Christian name, an unmistakable sign that the Holy Spirit causes man to be born anew in the womb of the Church." He added that a name was an "indelible seal" that set children off on a lifelong "journey of religious faith".

Whaca think?

what are his kids named?

In my day, you couldn't get a kid baptised if he wasn't named after a saint, High Gravity. So you approve of "Tiffany" and "Porsche"?

I don't have a problem with it, some names may be ridiculous but unless the Pope is gonna be paying some bills for this kid he has no right to say what name is or is not appropriate.

• Banned

Whaca think?

what are his kids named?

True story: I had a girlfriend who named her babygirl "Brie" because she liked how it sounded.

Didn't know till the kid started school that she had named her after a stinky cheese, LOL.

Whaca think?

what are his kids named?
The pope has kids? :doubt:

One of the funniest moments in my life was Roll Call for Jury Duty at the Queen's court on Sutphin Blvd. Lucky if the Announcer got 1 out of 10 correct.

It was hopeless, straight out of Saturday Night Live. Less than half of the people there did not speak English. Wrong Court, Wrong Day, Wrong week. All the way through people would realize, one by one that they weren't even supposed to be there. They played "Grease" for AM entertainment and "Forrest Gump" for The PM show. Best Jury Duty I ever had. ;)

If parents want to make their children the object of ridicule by saddling them with some ridiculous name that's their business.

My mother stuck an odd name on me and I was teased relentlessly about it.

It got to the point where I would tell everyone my name was John.

If parents want to make their children the object of ridicule by saddling them with some ridiculous name that's their business.

So, you're not "A Boy Named Sue?"

Son, this world is rough and if a man's gonna make it, he's gotta be tough and they knew they wouldn't be there to help ya along. So they give ya that name and said goodbye. They knew you'd have to get tough or die, and it's the name that helped to make you strong.

Whaca think?

Well I got beat to it also. It's none of the Pope biznass what stoopud people name thier kids. Beyond his personal opinion.

I'd have to say some kids should have the right to beat thier parents sensless for the names they were given.

Saw this a few years ago; Man working as a tech at Xerox, names his son Xerox.

Went to school with a kid named BJ. And no, it was not for for Bobby Joe. That was his actual name. Needless to say, he got into a lot of fights.

I don't mind off beat names, but don't fuck your kids over.

there's an old saying;

"Give a dog a good name..."

In my day, you couldn't get a kid baptised if he wasn't named after a saint, High Gravity. So you approve of "Tiffany" and "Porsche"?

That requirement is still there, but people get around it by using a middle name of a saint.

and if you are hispanic you can get away with Jesus.

I think we need more Salvatores in this world, 99% of the guys named Sal I have met are awsome.

The pope is within his rights to make suggestions and even mandates to his flock.

Unless hes going to help out the family with raising these kids financially he has no place to decide what is or what is not an appropriate name for these kids.

So, you're not "A Boy Named Sue?"

Son, this world is rough and if a man's gonna make it, he's gotta be tough and they knew they wouldn't be there to help ya along. So they give ya that name and said goodbye. They knew you'd have to get tough or die, and it's the name that helped to make you strong.

[youtube]n--1wR4L7zg[/youtube]

Whaca think?

I think I'll name my next kid "Satan."

Forum List

Back