Pope says "Christian Unity a goal of every catholic"

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/050119/1/3pyf5.html

Christian unity is a good goal. Unfortunately i dont see it ever happening under the Catholic Church. you cant put new wine in old bottles.
All Christians are Christians. I've never heard a priest say Protestants are not Christians, though have heard plenty of the opposit.

I agree though, at least from my point of view, there will be 'no umbrella' religion, nor should there be. Point is the Umbrella is Christ.

Kathianne said:
Point is the Umbrella is Christ.

I agree, but the scriptures do say that in the end, there will be a "one-wold religion and I believe many Christians are upset with how the Pope has been embracing other religions such as Islam and Buddhism and putting them on par with Christianity - which is totally against the teachings of Christ and the word of the Bible.

Kathianne said:
All Christians are Christians. I've never heard a priest say Protestants are not Christians, though have heard plenty of the opposit.

I agree though, at least from my point of view, there will be 'no umbrella' religion, nor should there be. Point is the Umbrella is Christ.

I think that the three major brances of Christianity (Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox) still embrace each other as Christian, though there are some major theological differences to overcome before all denominations would meld into one.

Kathianne said:

Whole wars were fought over just such a position from the Catholic Church. For some reason Christians want people who worship differently but believe the same thing to go to hell.

:dunno:

no1tovote4 said:
Whole wars were fought over just such a position from the Catholic Church. For some reason Christians want people who worship differently but believe the same thing to go to hell.

I know you didn't mean to do it, but you just painted all Christians with a very broad brush. I am sure you meant to say: For some reason SOME Christians want people who worship differently but believe the same thing to go to hell.

freeandfun1 said:
I know you didn't mean to do it, but you just painted all Christians with a very broad brush. I am sure you meant to say: For some reason SOME Christians want people who worship differently but believe the same thing to go to hell.

Ahhh Yes. Thanks. :)

Make that for some reason some Christians want other people who believe in the same things but worship differently to go to Hell.

:bye1:

no1tovote4 said:

There were some, Crusades for instance. Funny thing though, looks like some classical historians are beginning to review the inception of the Crusades. May not be what we were all taught, even history majors! LOL

I've heard of at least 3 dissertations being done on this topic. Will be interesting to read when they are done.

Kathianne said:
There were some, Crusades for instance. Funny thing though, looks like some classical historians are beginning to review the inception of the Crusades. May not be what we were all taught, even history majors! LOL

I've heard of at least 3 dissertations being done on this topic. Will be interesting to read when they are done.

Any links? (here or on your blog)

gop_jeff said:
Any links? (here or on your blog)

Nope, not until they are published. I remember being blown away shortly after 9/11, one of the major newsweeklies, I think Newsweek, did their topic on Islam through history. Major part of it was on the Barbary Pirates. I did not consider them everyday to be Muslims, yet with the article I went, "Oh yea!" slapping head.

What I had never been taught was how bad the sailors were treated, when tribute was not paid. We are talking same stuff as happening in Iraq/Afghanistan. This was in Newsweek! Shortly thereafter, started seeing that it was a hot topic for dissertations.

Screw the pope and all his opinions, he can go back to his castle and sit on his throne. I can't belive anyone can respect that man.

Forum List

Back